what do you think the median age is for performing dancers?

akaisilks

Anyone want to make a guess at the average age of dancers who perform at restaurants and/or private gigs?

chryssanthi sahar

Anyone want to make a guess at the average age of dancers who perform at restaurants and/or private gigs?

I depends on the restaurant, the private gig and most of all on the dancer;) And then it depends on the country. There are countries where they wouldn't hire a dancer for restaurants and gigs, who has passed the age of 30 and other countries where they don't mind even if the dancer is 60, as long as she is a good dancer and entertainer.
Here in Germany where I live the average age of dancers in restaurants is 25-40 but if a dancer is really good and has a good reputation, they don't look at the age. As about private gigs, the dancer can be from 17 to 70, depending on the gig;). For example if a dancer is hired to dance at a 70th birthday, they rather prefer dancers over 40 than younger ones, but if it is a 20th birthday, the dancer should be as young as possible (except if the person who has birthday wants a certain dancer who happens to be older;) Once a 14 year old girl wanted to hire me for her birthday, because she was a fan of mine:D).
In Greece, where I come from, they want the dancers to be as young as possible if they are supposed to dance in restaurants and bouzoukia clubs (Greek type night club), but, as far as I know, they are more tolerant with the age if it comes to private gigs (which doesn't happen so often, that belly dancers get hired for private gigs).

daisywitch

Hi, I don't know about the median age but I personally find that my favourite all time clips of belly dancing are performed by dancers in their late thirties to late forties (Im just guessing at their ages in the vids though!) If you look at Fifi, Aza Sheriff, Delilah and Rose Ottavanio (actually not sure how old she is but I don't think she is under thirty) they seem to be at their greatest within this age. Ok they are amazingly talented dancers anyway but they seem to bring a confidence, earthyness, sassiness and maturity that I haven't seen in younger dancers, they just completely control the dance and performance.
However I would say that the average age for performances in restaurants in Scotland would probably be late twenties.

Daisywitch X