Just brand new/learning

Hey It's great to learn from everyone that I've had a chance to talk to and learn from some of the web sites with books and video's. I just wish I had a teacher to make sure that I am doing the moves correctly even when it feel like it's wrong Yeah it's right for that particular part of the muscles to work properly even after I have looked at the video closer to see the way the persons have moved from that position, transitioned to the next move. any suggestion is welcomed

Mariesaffron

Hello and welcome, you can use videos to complement your learning but, nothing is going to replace a teacher in the flesh, with the videos you will conceive the dance from your own point of view, it is important for you to do a lot of research in the origenes of the dance, you can read books on the subjec, and if possible start looking for a good teacher, and make sure what is thaugh is the " real thing" I would like to know what videos you have, look for the beginners first, and then look for intermediate, in four years you should be ready for advance, good look, Marie

Mouse

Hi and welcome! If at all possible I'd recommend trying to find a teacher. Having someone who can teach and correct you makes it much easier to learn. There are some great video's out there, I started with the Neena & Veena Fitness for Beginners, Basic Moves and Fat Burning but I wasn't really trying to learn bellydance at that point - I was wanting exercise, (when I decided I specifically wanted to learn how to dance I found a teacher) so I'm not sure what video's would be good as your only way of learning. I'm sure others will have a better idea though.

miss_shimmy

welcome

happy dancing!

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maria_Aya

Welcome !!!!
Learning from videos can be very helpfull, but its not for starting with it, on my opinion helps only if someone have already taken lessons with a teacher.
Try to find a teacher even for giving you the teqnical tips for the basics. Then you can work much more effectivly with the videos.

Maria Aya Greece:)

DancerAU

I have just ordered a DVD to use in conjunction with my classes. I do a dance class with a teacher once a week & enjoy spending the rest of the week practicing. Mind you, if I'm practicing it wrong I will find out at my next lesson.

You are bound to find a local class if you know where to look. Try the local council, they might be able to tell if they're hiring a hall out for classes, even try other social groups such as weight watchers meetings, churches, schools etc. Word of mouth is far more reliable than the phone book. Someone is bound to have heard of a local belly dance classes. Or even put a notice up at the local supermarket that you want to join a belly dance class.

Just some ideas, thats all.
Cheers
K.