Post Thanks / Like

Default DVD for inspiration

My instructional collection is growing - to the extent that I haven't even worked with them all yet!!

Now dancing is different from working out and that quite a few of my dvds are by dancers whose personal style is not one that I aspire to. At my stage, I feel that it is more important for me to get to grips with individual movements and muscle training from skilled instructors than for me to identify 100% with instructors.

I have decided that I need dvds to watch to soak up inspiration of (preferrably egyptian) style. I havs a Fif which I adore, but would like others that I could take nspiration for my dancing.

wh and which dvds would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Suheir Zaki, Mona Said, Raqia's/ Randa Kamal dvds for modern contemporary stlye, the list goes on...

Post Thanks / Like

OK thanks. I would buy all if I could....but I was hoping for specific dvd names and personal recommendations as funds and husband's patience, are limited. I should have said which particular ones and why?

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to buy one good performance dvd for inspiration.... I have one by Fifi which is very wonderful, but I don't see myself copying Fifi.
    (Don't mean that I want to copy exact moves anyway)
    What would you recommend. Egyptian style for preference - it's just that learning through choreos as one does round here does not give much scope. Perhaps I could support a good local dancer who has a dvd ?

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's not Egyptian specific, but I've had my eye on those 'By Dancers for Dancers' DVD's that Salome has in her store. The first one has a clip of Shoshanna that is so lovely. I think there are some DVD of clips of the great Egyptian dancers out there..

Sausan Academy™ of Egyptian Dance - DVD Store

The link above is to Sausan's DVD's of the great Golden age dancers. I don't have these, but I do plan to get some of them. Sausan is fairly well known as a teacher of Egyptian style and I would love to get in on one of her workshops.

The couple of modern compilation DVD's that I have, I'm not fond of. One of them 'Bellydance Divas' is so boring in parts. Rania is very Egyptian, but I think boring to watch because she is so 'proper' and technically good, but seems rigid. Actually the things I watch most are some videos I have of shows done during workshops, which mix good and bad. I find I learn alot from the bad too!!! As in, what definitely doesn't work.. how a dead look on the face can kill a performance. I so want to get these copied to DVD because I know I'm wearing the tapes out, but I don't know how and the one place I took them to refused to do it because of copyright issues. If I could do it myself i would!!!

Sorry I don't have any more personal recommendations, but I would love to hear what others recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    I have decided that I need dvds to watch to soak up inspiration of (preferrably egyptian) style. I havs a Fif which I adore, but would like others that I could take nspiration for my dancing.

wh and which dvds would you recommend?
    I personally think a good "starter" DVD of Egyptian dancers is Legends of Belly Dance. I'm not sure who in the UK sells it, but it's produced by Hollywood Music Center and I've seen a number of US vendors selling it (Dahlal and others).

This DVD includes dance scenes from a number of Egyptian movies, and therefore showcases performances by Samia Gamal, Tahia Carioca, Fifi Abdo, Soheir Zaki, and others. I like to recommend this DVD to people who are new to watching Egyptian dancers, because it offers a variety of fabulous performers, providing a taste to help viewers choose whom they may wish to see more of.