New to Yoga?

Moon

Thank you Zahra :)

Do you know this website? www.hathayogalesson.com
It has animated pictures of yoga poses and stress excersises.

miss_shimmy

:)

moon,I love your new avatar,how are the yoga classes going?are you still going each wednesday?

I do a few postures every now and then,will be today,on days I dont do callanetics you see.

hugs

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Moon

Hi miss Shimmy,
I still go to yoga class every wednesday, it it sooo nice! However I'd like to do some poses at home too, but I can't really remember in what order the teacher does them and I'm affraid it can be harmful if you do the poses in the wrong order? Or doesn't that matter?

miss_shimmy

well done

thats great moon,I am so happy you have kept with it.
what is your fave asana?

mine is the cobra,love that!

about positions in right order,my friend gave me a few positions,she has done yoga for about 8 years,I think there has to be some order about it.
you could ask your yoga teacher when you go next wednesday?

love and smiles

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Moon

At this moment, I like asanas which include forward bends the best. They make me feel like I'm getting more flexible every second (although they also cause muscle pain :D)

My least favorite at this moment is head stand. I tried it last wednesday and it hurt terribly. I wonder if it's healthy to do it if it hurts so much? :(

miss_shimmy

aw

moon,If it hurts then try to ease off it,its your body letting you know that right now its too much,have a chat with your yoga teacher about it,she may suggest something more subtle to help you build into it more gradually.

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

gwinity

Moon, Miss Shimmy is right - if it hurts (as opposed to general muscular aches and stretches), it's your body telling you that you're over-working and that you need to either ease off a bit or re-think your strategy.

I find it interesting that you're doing head-stands. I've never done them, and none of my teachers offered them in their beginners classes. Tell your teacher if it hurts, and she may be able to modify the pose for you, or get you to do another one instead. Yoga should never make you feel like that.

A site that you might find interesting: http://www.yogajournal.com/ Got heaps of info about poses (English and Sanskrit names), meditation, and lifestyle. :D

Thank You so much Ladies, for posting the yoga info. Funny thing is, I've been oing a lot of these "Poses" for a long time and didn't know their origin. Noe they have meaning for me, I've saved them to my Favorites list. I like the Corpse Pose the best!:rolleyes:
Yasmine

Moon

Thanks miss Shimmy and Gwinity. Actually I didn't do the "real" head stand yet, but some pose the teacher called "rabbit", on which you already lean on your head and then she said we could try to make a beginning with the head stand, but only one student managed to lift her legs (I think she has done yoga for a longer time). I think my body is not ready for it yet, but if we try to do headstands again, I'll ask my teacher if I'm doing something wrong.

miss_shimmy

:)

no thankx needed moon,hope it works out for you.I am sure your teacher will be helpful.see how you get on on wednesday.
hi there yasmine,my favourite pose/asana has to be the cobra.

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

miss_shimmy

i love yoga

I must admit,I never realy could get into yoga over the last years,I have tried it everynow and then.recently I got Rachel Brice's dvd and now I am very positive about doing yoga on a daily basis,I know the more I do it,the easier it will become.

I did 20 mins of yogazone last night was aimed to the abs,only 20 minutes and wow...!!!!!!

I have a yogalates tape I tried months ago and actually enjoyed,though I wasnt as commited then,so9 this afternoon I am having a go at that again.

hows the wednesday sessions going moon?:)

Moon

Hi miss Shimmy

We haven't done anymore head stands yet, and the rest is going well :D I like most of the other poses we've done so far. The teacher gave us some material last week so we can do some exercises at home :)

miss_shimmy

ooh

hi there moon:)

have you felt that the yoga helps with your dance at all?
sounds like you are realy settling into the yoga now,i am so proud of you for sticking with it.

Rachel Brice says she wishes every dancer would do yoga.

hugs and smiles:)

Moon

I must admit I didn't do much yoga practice at home yet :eek: also because I was a bit insecure about the right order of the movement. I hope it will change now I have some info at home.
I think yoga helps for bellydance, same posture etc. Also some bellydance warming up movements in my class are similar to yoga movements. I wonder if my bellydance teacher is doing yoga too? :D

Yshka

Hi girls,

I've been wanting to start Yoga for a while too. So far the only yoga I've done are the positions taught in dance class during warmup. I've been practising those positions at home till I get the chance to start taking actual yoga classes. I feel doing them on a regular basis makes me much more flexible.
I've also bought a yoga dvd a few weeks ago but haven't tried it yet. Will start on that soon too.

Last edited: