Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to travel w/ grace????

Our class is working on a group performance, and at the beginning we kind of walk out (you know, 123 pause, 123pause) and when I see myself in the mirror I don't look graceful at all, look more like a truck driver!

Here is what I keep telling myself:

Chest up
    shoulders back down
    chin up, and keep the eyes up
    make eye contact and smile
    be confident
    no helicopter hands
    if I make a mistake act natural and smile

Anything else? Should I tilt my head from time to time (I don't know where that came from)?

Post Thanks / Like

My dad used to say, "She walks like she's plowing behind a mule."

Ask your teacher for help- that's what she's there for. The first thing I teach my students to do is how to walk, but it's kind of hard to teach someone to walk via verbal instruction alone . If you are walking heel, ball, toe you might try stepping onto your toes, then following with the ball of your foor, then lastly and very lightly touching your heel to the ground. Keeping your weight off your heels tends to give your walk lightness. Bear in mind, I teach old style AmCab and what is good for this style may not be what your teacher has in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post

Ask your teacher for help- that's what she's there for. .
    Girl, I don't like the way she walks either. We don't have "real" teachers out here. BUT! I may be going to Suzanna Del Vecchio's summer retreat next year, and I'm going to see if she will time for some private sessions. I love her videos!

Thanks Shanazel!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know this is going to sound ridiculously old-fashioned, but I'm I guess the last coughing gasp of a generation whose mothers/grandmothers taught them to practice walking with a book balanced on her head. I still practice doing that to help my posture because I don't want to become stoop-shouldered as I get older. It does seem to help, because one of my friends at work said not so long ago, "I can tell that you're a dancer, just by the way you walk and carry yourself!" That made me very happy. You might give it a try, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

what a pitty ! i have so many beautiful travel steps that i am teaching...no way i can explain it on paper....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea of using a book on the head for balance. I do seem to bounce a lot. This would certainley help.

Post Thanks / Like

You might even try doing a few basic moves while balancing a book on your head. Try practicing mayas, hip rolls, snake arms, figure eights, a few traveling steps, etc.. Just don't try shimmies, it might not be such a good idea!
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 10-20-2008 at 03:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a simple walk twice in my class warm up. Once with flat feet and again in releve. And one thing I consistently notice is (at first) most people walk as they would normally - not as a locomotive dance step. I notice lot's of dancers stepping too far out in front. When the steps are small, dainty, and really under the body, it's far more controlled and graceful. And yes, integrity in the upper body helps. A soft step helps too, not plodding your weight down with each step. No bouncy business either, especially in releve, bouncing in the step takes away from a lovely gliding walk. When we walk in day to day life it's heel toe, when I walk in dance the step/weight is happening on the ball - even if I walk flat footed.

Post Thanks / Like

Lydia, I wish I could get a class or a DVD on your travel steps. I imagine you are so graceful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia dubai View Post
    what a pitty ! i have so many beautiful travel steps that i am teaching...no way i can explain it on paper....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I have seen them and they are amazing !!!! and have them on video he he

kissesssssssssssssss

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast