How to travel w/ grace????

Angie

Our class is working on a group performance, and at the beginning we kind of walk out (you know, 123 pause, 123pause) and when I see myself in the mirror I don't look graceful at all, look more like a truck driver!

Here is what I keep telling myself:

Chest up
shoulders back down
chin up, and keep the eyes up
make eye contact and smile
be confident
no helicopter hands
if I make a mistake act natural and smile

Anything else? Should I tilt my head from time to time (I don't know where that came from)? ;)

Shanazel

My dad used to say, "She walks like she's plowing behind a mule."

Ask your teacher for help- that's what she's there for. The first thing I teach my students to do is how to walk, but it's kind of hard to teach someone to walk via verbal instruction alone ;). If you are walking heel, ball, toe you might try stepping onto your toes, then following with the ball of your foor, then lastly and very lightly touching your heel to the ground. Keeping your weight off your heels tends to give your walk lightness. Bear in mind, I teach old style AmCab and what is good for this style may not be what your teacher has in mind.

Angie

Ask your teacher for help- that's what she's there for. .

Girl, I don't like the way she walks either. :confused: We don't have "real" teachers out here. BUT! I may be going to Suzanna Del Vecchio's summer retreat next year, and I'm going to see if she will time for some private sessions. I love her videos!

Thanks Shanazel!

Farasha Hanem

Well, I know this is going to sound ridiculously old-fashioned, but I'm I guess the last coughing gasp of a generation whose mothers/grandmothers taught them to practice walking with a book balanced on her head. I still practice doing that to help my posture because I don't want to become stoop-shouldered as I get older. It does seem to help, because one of my friends at work said not so long ago, "I can tell that you're a dancer, just by the way you walk and carry yourself!" That made me very happy. You might give it a try, it certainly wouldn't hurt. :)

Lydia

what a pitty ! i have so many beautiful travel steps that i am teaching...no way i can explain it on paper....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Angie

I love the idea of using a book on the head for balance. I do seem to bounce a lot. This would certainley help.

Farasha Hanem

You might even try doing a few basic moves while balancing a book on your head. Try practicing mayas, hip rolls, snake arms, figure eights, a few traveling steps, etc.. Just don't try shimmies, it might not be such a good idea! :rolleyes: :lol: ;)

Last edited:

Salome

Administrator
I use a simple walk twice in my class warm up. Once with flat feet and again in releve. And one thing I consistently notice is (at first) most people walk as they would normally - not as a locomotive dance step. I notice lot's of dancers stepping too far out in front. When the steps are small, dainty, and really under the body, it's far more controlled and graceful. And yes, integrity in the upper body helps. A soft step helps too, not plodding your weight down with each step. No bouncy business either, especially in releve, bouncing in the step takes away from a lovely gliding walk. When we walk in day to day life it's heel toe, when I walk in dance the step/weight is happening on the ball - even if I walk flat footed.

Mya

Dear Lydia,

Won't you consider doing an instructional dvd? My only other option is to hop on several planes, fly to dubai, wrap you in bubble wrap and put you in my hand luggage to bring home. I think the dvd might fare better for us both.

Love,
Mya

Lydia

Phoebedances you are so sweet!And Maria thank you for the compliment !! Mya i dont wanna make dvd from my work i love to teach and i love to make sure its done correct,if i make dvd,s how can i see if its done correct? i dont mind stick up my work on youtube but not my teaching...so no dvd !!! but you are invited o and with this mail everybody is!so get your behind in the plane and we will have a party!! have a great day Lydia

Phoebedances

I know when I first started dancing, I was quite pigeon-toed and I really had to work on correcting that when I walked, turned, everything! Even when I washed the dishes I would make a point of standing with my toes turned out rather than in and eventually, it helped. I still make a conscious effort to check to make sure I'm not pigeon-toed when I'm dancing, though, since I know I will always have a slight tendency to do that.

Lydia, I can really respect your view on making certain it is done right, and I think you would be such a great teacher, I really wish I could come visit and take a few lessons. :)

Debates on whether to bubble wrap herself or try for a job in Dubai ...:think:

Lydia

I know when I first started dancing, I was quite pigeon-toed and I really had to work on correcting that when I walked, turned, everything! Even when I washed the dishes I would make a point of standing with my toes turned out rather than in and eventually, it helped. I still make a conscious effort to check to make sure I'm not pigeon-toed when I'm dancing, though, since I know I will always have a slight tendency to do that.

Lydia, I can really respect your view on making certain it is done right, and I think you would be such a great teacher, I really wish I could come visit and take a few lessons. :)

Debates on whether to bubble wrap herself or try for a job in Dubai ...:think:

i am still looking for a dancer you know.......

Nejat

Chest up
shoulders back down
chin up, and keep the eyes up
make eye contact and smile
be confident
no helicopter hands
if I make a mistake act natural and smile

Anything else? Should I tilt my head from time to time (I don't know where that came from)? ;)[/QUOTE]

You forgot relax and BREATH. Try breathing on that pause...or just coordinate your breathing in there somewhere, it will give you a more relaxed look and feel. Don't over think it. And please don't fake the smiling ;) Smile when you feel like it, if you're enjoying the moment it will come out. Just don't look angry when you dance!

Tarabelly

You could also try practicing walks with a different "energy" and this can also give you an idea for your own style. Its like acting- ie- the ballerina, the hooker, the diva, the princess. Whatever those words inspire for you, then get some dance friends together and show off the walks for each other. Guaranteed giggles, and maybe a few tears, but it takes the edge off.

For the "belly dance walk" I think your ideas are super, plus the breathing and Salome really nails it with "keeping the feet under the body with small steps". Lead from your core, solar plexus, power center, rather than feet or head. Then play with the different "personas" and see what comes out.

One thing... you are doing this walk with a group? Then perhaps match your walk to someone you admire in the group. Mimic it and when you are home you can also exaggerate it, explore the whole spectrum of that walk. Notice what feels wierd or awkward about it. Sometimes it's just a negative belief in the way of a shining star. Dancing/acting is like a therapy in many ways.

xo Tara