Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you end the performance?

So, I know your suppose to pose and hold it for five seconds, but then what? Do you bow, blow a kiss, or something????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ending a performance

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    So, I know your suppose to pose and hold it for five seconds, but then what? Do you bow, blow a kiss, or something????

Dear Angie,
    I am not so sure about the holding a pose for 5 seconds thing, but I teach my people to do a very clear bow in order to give the audience a clue that the performance is at its end. It does not have to be fancy, but it does have to intend to signal a close of the dance. I usually ask them to hold the bow for 3 seconds and then not just pop up like a piece of toast and run off stage without being aware of their audience. I remind them that they are still performing until they are off stage where no one can see them, so they must be sure to walk off or run off or however they intend to get off the stage, with class, good posture and the awareness that they have the attention of the audience even after they have bowed and signaled the end of their dance.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you A'isha! I'm going to go look for examples on youtube of people bowing after a performance. Thanks a bunch!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Dear Angie,
    You are welcome and best wishes with your dancing.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

There was something pretty neat that I read in a book. *dodges rotten apples* It was included in one of those bellydance kits I got at the bookstore. *dodges MORE rotten apples* The last few pages illustrate a salute that goes, "From my heart, my words, and my mind, I thank you." The dancer puts her arm over her heart, bows, then stands and puts her hands over her lips, then places her hand to her forehead, then sweeps her hand out across the audience, and to the live band (if there is one).

Well, I thought it's kinda neat...but what do I know? I'm still just an overly-enthusiastic newbie.

Post Thanks / Like

Pick those apples up, take 'em over to the fruit thread and make cider. I've seen this final bow used occasionally and think it is pretty, though I have never used it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    There was something pretty neat that I read in a book. *dodges rotten apples* It was included in one of those bellydance kits I got at the bookstore. *dodges MORE rotten apples* The last few pages illustrate a salute that goes, "From my heart, my words, and my mind, I thank you." The dancer puts her arm over her heart, bows, then stands and puts her hands over her lips, then places her hand to her forehead, then sweeps her hand out across the audience, and to the live band (if there is one).

Well, I thought it's kinda neat...but what do I know? I'm still just an overly-enthusiastic newbie.

Dear Farasha,
    Actually, this was one of the types of bows that was used very ubiquitously in the 1970s. The first dance company I belonged to used it at the end of our performances. We would all stand in a line across the stage and do "The Bow" together. Everything old is new again!!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Everything old is new again!!
    Oooh, maybe that bodes well for us, eh, A'isha?

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind the symbolism, arm over heart sounds like a very good idea if you are bowing in a low cut costume.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salaam?

What Farasha describes sounds something like what I think is called the "salaam" or something like "from my liver, my heart, and my mind, to Allah" touching around breastbone, around heart, forehead, then lift hand up (palm in, fingers to sky)?

Cathy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast