KHALED MAHMOUD of Alexandria-Egypt

Tarik Sultan

I can only speak as I have experienced and after one occasion when I knew i had danced terribly Khaled was so kind and so understanding he helped me to carry on as a performer-this is not the behaviour of a diva-he hardly knew me but he was kind enough to help me through my crisis moment. i can never be grateful enough for his kindness.May be in the Uk we are not so hung up in appearences as you seem to be in the US and we can appreciate the quality and technique of of dancer even if he/she does not look body perfect.

The dance community is far more generous, supportive and accepting than the general public is precisely because we are better educated than they are. We can look beyond the superficial to the quality of the dance. However, just look at MTV, or even take a look at most mainstream dance performers. Physical shape does play a major role.

If we want to stay put in our own little niche, then that's fine, but if we want recognition and taken seriously as artists on the same level as other established forms, then we have to realize that we will be judged by the same standards they are. Nobody said it was fair, but that's the way it is.

Caroline_afifi

I can only speak as I have experienced and after one occasion when I knew i had danced terribly Khaled was so kind and so understanding he helped me to carry on as a performer-this is not the behaviour of a diva-he hardly knew me but he was kind enough to help me through my crisis moment. i can never be grateful enough for his kindness.May be in the Uk we are not so hung up in appearences as you seem to be in the US and we can appreciate the quality and technique of of dancer even if he/she does not look body perfect.

Are you the same gorgous curvey Candi who opened the show at JOY?? :think:

If so, I hope you are not talking about this particular performance because I thought you were a perfect opener and looked fabulous (and so did my mates).

Caroline_afifi

The dance community is far more generous, supportive and accepting than the general public is precisely because we are better educated than they are. We can look beyond the superficial to the quality of the dance. However, just look at MTV, or even take a look at most mainstream dance performers. Physical shape does play a major role.

If we want to stay put in our own little niche, then that's fine, but if we want recognition and taken seriously as artists on the same level as other established forms, then we have to realize that we will be judged by the same standards they are. Nobody said it was fair, but that's the way it is.

I do agree with you Tarik. I have heard some terrible comments about dancers in restaurants and parties etc.

One comment that sticks in my mind (and traumatised me)
was said to a friend of mine who looked great and had a great figure, she was about 40 at the time and one guy said infront of everyone in the restaurant ..
'go away..you look old and you smell old'.

She still dances at the same place aged 50 and I admire her alot.

I will never forget this as long as I live as I found this humiliation of a dancer so disturbing. Horrible :mad:

karena

Surely is depends on the person rather than what 'community' they are in? Being in the dance communities does not make people 'better educated' in terms of what is and isn't acceptable in terms of the body. We can see this on this forum. Sure in terms of the dance, but in terms of the body? Surely all sorts of views are represented. It's a little unfair on the non-dance communities to suggest that they are all less accepting of different bodies.

And MTV etc is not representative of the non-dance communities' perceptions of the body. It's representative of a version, perhaps dominant amongst some people. But surely you're not either BDer or size zero wannabe??

I appreciate that people within the BD communities will be able to see beyond the body and appreciate the dance in a different way, but I think it is a little deterministic to make the binary them and us distinction. The dominant version of what BDers are seen as in many sections of the community here is akin to strippers. Does this mean we should act like one to feed their expectations or challenge them?

Caroline_afifi

Surely is depends on the person rather than what 'community' they are in? Being in the dance communities does not make people 'better educated' in terms of what is and isn't acceptable in terms of the body. We can see this on this forum. Sure in terms of the dance, but in terms of the body? Surely all sorts of views are represented. It's a little unfair on the non-dance communities to suggest that they are all less accepting of different bodies.

And MTV etc is not representative of the non-dance communities' perceptions of the body. It's representative of a version, perhaps dominant amongst some people. But surely you're not either BDer or size zero wannabe??

I appreciate that people within the BD communities will be able to see beyond the body and appreciate the dance in a different way, but I think it is a little deterministic to make the binary them and us distinction. The dominant version of what BDers are seen as in many sections of the community here is akin to strippers. Does this mean we should act like one to feed their expectations or challenge them?

I think dance audiences are more respectable about keeping their thoughts to themselves (although there are many who dont)
You are less likely to have insults hurled at you in a BD event.

lizaj

I think I've seen that one - is it the top left here?: Khaled Mahmoud Gallery

I've seen him perform several times and practically every time been with friends (dance hobbyists :rolleyes:) who have had trouble getting over the idea of a man dancing like that at all, and often his costumes have not helped them any. Their loss. But IMO no issues with that bronze at all - really really nice. :clap: :clap: :clap:

To my eyes the man looks fabulous. Photos taken by my husband at JoY

Last edited:

jahbie

I've often wondered why there isn't an official J.O.Y. performance video that we can buy, I assumed that it was because the performers had asked not to be filmed. So I was surprised to find clips on the internet this time round. Might there be a video in the future?

mandyt

Hi A'isha
I am not trying to be funny & I did ask for suggestions but I do know what Khaled will wear & what he will not wear. Most of us find a style that suits us & we stick with it but Khaled feel he needs different all the time. People that know me know I would never sell any costume to anyone that does not look right. I have in the passed refused to sell costumes to people.

Hi Tarik Sultan
Khaled lost a lot of weight & he does go to the gym. Khaled is in a different country dancing & teaching nearly every weekend. He does not eat till after he performs so he probably eating late most nights. When he is a home he teaches weekly classes & the rest. So trying to keep in top tip shape must be hard. Like you say Khaled dances for dancers & audience should care more about the dance than what he is wearing.

mandyt

I've often wondered why there isn't an official J.O.Y. performance video that we can buy, I assumed that it was because the performers had asked not to be filmed. So I was surprised to find clips on the internet this time round. Might there be a video in the future?

There isn't an official J.O.Y. performance video because I think this is a dance best performed live & don’t see why people should see the show for free, when other have paid to see the show. If anyone wants to video a teacher I tell them they must get the teachers permission.

I know some people would like a copy of the JoY show but I do not think it is fair for JoY to profit from the teacher’s performances. I have talked to Tracey before about taping the JoY show for JUST BECAUSE & any profit made would go to them.

jahbie

Sorry , I'm not with you here. How would people be seeing the show for nothing if they had to buy the video? If I pay to see the show and then subsequently buy a video I've actually paid to see the show twice, not been given a freebie. I've bought videos of all our haflas and both of the Farha shows that I went to, because I can't remember everything that I've seen and want to have another look. I would like to be able to do that with the J.O.Y show.,but quite understand that it may not be feasible. However, if you've allowed the clips on Youtube there must be hundreds of people who are able to see parts of the show for nothing.

Selling videos for Just Because is an excellent idea, lots of people would buy them for such a good cause

I thought I was making a gentle enquiry, not a demand. Sorry if it came across otherwise.

mandyt;91164 said:
There isn't an official J.O.Y. performance video because I think this is a dance best performed live & don’t see why people should see the show for free, when other have paid to see the show. If anyone wants to video a teacher I tell them they must get the teachers permission.

I know some people would like a copy of the JoY show but I do not think it is fair for JoY to profit from the teacher’s performances. I have talked to Tracey before about taping the JoY show for JUST BECAUSE & any profit made would go to them.

Tarik Sultan

Hi Tarik Sultan
Khaled lost a lot of weight & he does go to the gym. Khaled is in a different country dancing & teaching nearly every weekend. He does not eat till after he performs so he probably eating late most nights. When he is a home he teaches weekly classes & the rest. So trying to keep in top tip shape must be hard. Like you say Khaled dances for dancers & audience should care more about the dance than what he is wearing.

From the picture posted he does look like he's lost weight. I'm glad to hear ZI'm not the only one in the gym. Seriously, the both of us are in the same boat. I'm very slim, but my middle will run away like a horse without a driver if I LET IT! My paunch was actually MUCH bigger than his. I saw a picture of myself from the side one day and just wanted to die. That's when I started hitting the gym.

It really isn't easy and worse when you travel. Most hotels idea of a gym is a joke and we won't even mention food! I've had to start eating fowl again because most places I travel to you cant get good quality vegan meals. I still can't and don't want to go anywhere near red meat. I find fish is okay, and for short stays here and there, chicken won't kill me either. Although if I eat it too long my energy drains considerably.

I guess push ups and crunches in the hotel room will help. but tell him keep up the god work. The accumulative health benefits you get really kick in once you reach a certain age and makes the aging process much better, not to mention the increase in energy.:dance:

Tarik Sultan

Yes we have other arenas to do that
:shok: What are you saying?!:shok: Nothing like that ever happens among dancers. We're all just as sweet as pie and we get along like two peas in a pod all the time. How could you even suggest it were any different? Just look at how well I get along with all the members here! .... Hey, is that lightning comi....... AGGGGGGGGGHHH!

jahbie

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Of course, goes without saying.!

:shok: What are you saying?!:shok: Nothing like that ever happens among dancers. We're all just as sweet as pie and we get along like two peas in a pod all the time. How could you even suggest it were any different? Just look at how well I get along with all the members here! .... Hey, is that lightning comi....... AGGGGGGGGGHHH!

karena

you've totally lost me :confused: What you said was pretty much my point so I don't get why you are saying it back to me in an odd way...

Is this some weird Brit not getting American sarcasm parallel universe thing??

Last edited:

candi

Are you the same gorgous curvey Candi who opened the show at JOY?? :think:

If so, I hope you are not talking about this particular performance because I thought you were a perfect opener and looked fabulous (and so did my mates).

Hi yes its me,Thanks for your very nice comments-No I wasnt talking about the JOY performance, it was one a couple of years ago at a different festival. I still wake up shuddering about it.:) Khaled was very kind and supportive to me and he certainly didn't have to be.
I've also enjoyed being in his workshops very much and his performances too.
And yes I agree we as performers should try to look the best we can but I'm not going to hide in a cupboard till I'm considered perfect looking enough to dance and I don't think anyone should.

mandyt

Sorry , I'm not with you here. How would people be seeing the show for nothing if they had to buy the video? If I pay to see the show and then subsequently buy a video I've actually paid to see the show twice, not been given a freebie. I've bought videos of all our haflas and both of the Farha shows that I went to, because I can't remember everything that I've seen and want to have another look. I would like to be able to do that with the J.O.Y show.,but quite understand that it may not be feasible. However, if you've allowed the clips on Youtube there must be hundreds of people who are able to see parts of the show for nothing.

Selling videos for Just Because is an excellent idea, lots of people would buy them for such a good cause

I thought I was making a gentle enquiry, not a demand. Sorry if it came across otherwise.

I am Sorry I think you have taken what I said the wrong way.

It is not up to me if a teacher allows a clip to be put on Youtube.

The taping of the JoY show - From our point of view at JoY if we taped the show & allowed it to be sold for Just because we would not make a penny out of doing this & I would not want to but JoY would be letting people see the show for free. My only concern is I think shows are better live & if people could buy the show would people think I will not bother going to the show, I will just buy the video. I agree any body paying to see the JoY show & then buys a video is paying twice.

If we ever did tape the show or the show end up on Youtube – it might have an impact on the numbers attending & this then would have to be looked at.

I like the idea of raising money for Just because but it is difficult to know what to do for the best because I know there a lot of people that would like a copy of the show on video.

jahbie

Yes, I probably have taken what you said the wrong way, I haven't got very good communication skills, it gets me into trouble all the time.:)

But I've re-read my original message and I honestly can't see what I said that brought the "I don't see why people should be able to see the show for free..." response. I still don't see how they see the show for nothing if they pay for the video. I probably haven't had enough coffee yet.!

However, I can understand the other reasons that you gave.Maybe some people wouldn't come to the show if they could buy a video instead.

I am Sorry I think you have taken what I said the wrong way.

It is not up to me if a teacher allows a clip to be put on Youtube.

The taping of the JoY show - From our point of view at JoY if we taped the show & allowed it to be sold for Just because we would not make a penny out of doing this & I would not want to but JoY would be letting people see the show for free. My only concern is I think shows are better live & if people could buy the show would people think I will not bother going to the show, I will just buy the video. I agree any body paying to see the JoY show & then buys a video is paying twice.

If we ever did tape the show or the show end up on Youtube – it might have an impact on the numbers attending & this then would have to be looked at.

I like the idea of raising money for Just because but it is difficult to know what to do for the best because I know there a lot of people that would like a copy of the show on video.

jenc

I would love a video and it would encourage me to treck up north to join in next time. speaking of which, my husband's ex-wife is a close friend with problems. she lives in todmorden. we have been unable to make contact since May and are very worried. I would like to be able to casually call round but 400 miles makes this difficult. I could use a BD workshop in the area eg Leeds as an excuse. what you got up there soon?