KHALED MAHMOUD of Alexandria-Egypt

lizaj

I am Sorry I think you have taken what I said the wrong way.

It is not up to me if a teacher allows a clip to be put on Youtube.

The taping of the JoY show - From our point of view at JoY if we taped the show & allowed it to be sold for Just because we would not make a penny out of doing this & I would not want to but JoY would be letting people see the show for free. My only concern is I think shows are better live & if people could buy the show would people think I will not bother going to the show, I will just buy the video. I agree any body paying to see the JoY show & then buys a video is paying twice.

If we ever did tape the show or the show end up on Youtube – it might have an impact on the numbers attending & this then would have to be looked at.

I like the idea of raising money for Just because but it is difficult to know what to do for the best because I know there a lot of people that would like a copy of the show on video.

I have to say that the advent of Youtube has made it worrying about producing DVD of any event . I really dislike it when unsuspecting foks end up on Youtube and are let in for comment.

To tell truth if you want to see an event, go to it! JoY has an intimacy about it I hope it never loses how well known the performers are and they are!

jahbie

Quite. But the video clips have ended up on Youtube anyway and not because a DVD was made. And nobody is suggesting that buying a DVD should take the place of actually seeing the show, merely that we could buy it afterwards.

I have to say that the advent of Youtube has made it worrying about producing DVD of any event . I really dislike it when unsuspecting foks end up on Youtube and are let in for comment.

To tell truth if you want to see an event, go to it! JoY has an intimacy about it I hope it never loses how well known the performers are and they are!

Aisha Azar

Dance

I can only speak as I have experienced and after one occasion when I knew i had danced terribly Khaled was so kind and so understanding he helped me to carry on as a performer-this is not the behaviour of a diva-he hardly knew me but he was kind enough to help me through my crisis moment. i can never be grateful enough for his kindness.May be in the Uk we are not so hung up in appearences as you seem to be in the US and we can appreciate the quality and technique of of dancer even if he/she does not look body perfect.

Dear Candy,
Who says we in the U.S. are hung on perfect bodies? I certainly am not and never have been, having seen many fine dancers who are not perfect. However, we also should do our best to costume for flaws, I think. Kind of like I hate to see a big, ugly stretch marked belly hanging over a belt. Shareen El Safy and Suheir Zaki are among my favorite dancers and neither has the lovely body type, so I have not confused that.
Also, many people here have mentioned how kind Khaled is, and I am not sure if they like his dancing or just like him and reflect that in their attitude toward his dancing. It comes up just as often if not more often. There are many lovely people involved in dance who are not the best dancers and many really nasty people who dance well.
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

Tarik Sultan

you've totally lost me :confused: What you said was pretty much my point so I don't get why you are saying it back to me in an odd way...

Is this some weird Brit not getting American sarcasm parallel universe thing??

Yes!:lol:

The real point is that we can be catty and critical, but we'd never get up in another dancers face and scream insults or just be down right rude. When dealing with the GP, often times they will tell you the most rudest things right to your face while you're on stage. And while we do have our issues, I think that we as the dance community do tend to be a bit more understanding and encouraging of each other than the gp. Not to imply that we are perfect though.

taheya

Dear Candy,
Who says we in the U.S. are hung on perfect bodies? I certainly am not and never have been, having seen many fine dancers who are not perfect. However, we also should do our best to costume for flaws, I think. Kind of like I hate to see a big, ugly stretch marked belly hanging over a belt. Shareen El Safy and Suheir Zaki are among my favorite dancers and neither has the lovely body type, so I have not confused that.
Also, many people here have mentioned how kind Khaled is, and I am not sure if they like his dancing or just like him and reflect that in their attitude toward his dancing. It comes up just as often if not more often. There are many lovely people involved in dance who are not the best dancers and many really nasty people who dance well.
Regards,
A'isha

To be honest Aisha, I think Khaled is a great dancer- who displays his character, musicality and feeling through his dance in a wonderful way. He has the 'x factor' if you know what I mean. Something special when he dances.
It is certainly not his personality that sways me to believe he is a great dancer- I know many nice people in the dance world but I do not say all of them are great dancers just cos I like them!

lizaj

To be honest Aisha, I think Khaled is a great dancer- who displays his character, musicality and feeling through his dance in a wonderful way. He has the 'x factor' if you know what I mean. Something special when he dances.
It is certainly not his personality that sways me to believe he is a great dancer- I know many nice people in the dance world but I do not say all of them are great dancers just cos I like them!

Most certainly not. agreed:clap:....I admired him as a dancer before I knew him better as a teacher. His dance personality is superb....yes showy but why not... and warm..and generous.

Aisha Azar

Khaled

Dear Taheya,
Though I do not think he is all that fabulous a dancer, he might be a really nice person. I have no way of knowing. My point is that one has nothing to do with the other. My other point is that by her post, Candi seemed to think all Americans judge dancers on the western perfection of their body types, which is not the least bit true.
I also do not think that either Nagwa Fouad or Heyertum is that great a dancer. I wonder if that is going to cause such a stir..... Most of us know nothing of their personalities except what we have seen on talk shows or in their dance, or gossip about them. does this lack of personal contact make a difference in how we view them as performers?
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

Tarik Sultan

Most certainly not. agreed:clap:....I admired him as a dancer before I knew him better as a teacher. His dance personality is superb....yes showy but why not... and warm..and generous.

I'll second that. Before I met him I saw him dance and he was wonderful. I loved his personality and his... I don't know what to call it, but he was very classy and dignified if that makes sense. I actually didn't meet him till he defected to Nile Group. I was expecting him to be a real prick, (did meet one that night, but it wasn't him), but he was really cool people.

Some people may be swayed by personality, but not every one is. I just think its funny that some people can't see that other people can like someone just because they don't. Dancers are like different flavors of ice cream. Some people like this one, some people like that one, its a matter of personal taste. There is another male dancer who is a real jerk, (NO NOT ME! ANOTHER JERK), who is none the less a very good dancer. I've taken friends to see him, both of them very much artistic afficionados. They both said the same thing. He's a jerk, way too stuck on himself, but a real talent none the less.

Some people may not care for Khalid's dancing and that's fine, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are off base. Besides you can't judge someone on seeing them once. Everyone has off nights. Lucy is one of my all time favorite dancer. I've seen her kick ass and take not prisoners one year and be piss poor the next. Which performance should I judge her abilities on?

Eve

Keyboard Warriors

Bizarre thread.

Amazing how we pre-judge folk eh? And I'm going to do the same. :cool: I imagine Candi's comment about the US was based on the fact that it seemed that most negative comments about his shape were coming from that part of the globe.

What is a girl to do? Liposuction, tummy tuck, boob lift, botox before I'm allowed anywhere near the public lest I offend their delicate nature. Bollocks. Don't like it then don't look.

And despite his clearly repulsive figure he seems to be doing quite well with it. :rolleyes: Poor thing.

Why assume he is a particular way about filming or having other people perform his choreographies? Wouldn't it have been easier to ask what peoples experiences were? That actually annoyed me. And I'm annoyed with myself more for getting annoyed at that.

Stupid people everywhere, complaining about taking a choreography class when you've 'learnt' it from youtube. That's your own fault so shut up. I've taken the same workshop/choreography on repeat occasions because there is always more to learn, more to polish.

Mandy, I think the costume looked good and the colour was great. Whilst I admit I would like a dvd (it wouldn't stop me going to the show or feeling I've paid twice) I understand your reasons for not doing it.

If I could dance half as poorly as Khaled does I'd be happy.:cool:

I am trying to give up coffee & sugar. If you don't like what I've written who cares it's just an opinion. You should have read the first version of what I wrote.:mad:

Eve

I'll second that. Before I met him I saw him dance and he was wonderful. I loved his personality and his... I don't know what to call it, but he was very classy and dignified if that makes sense. I actually didn't meet him till he defected to Nile Group. I was expecting him to be a real prick, (did meet one that night, but it wasn't him), but he was really cool people.

Some people may be swayed by personality, but not every one is. I just think its funny that some people can't see that other people can like someone just because they don't. Dancers are like different flavors of ice cream. Some people like this one, some people like that one, its a matter of personal taste. There is another male dancer who is a real jerk, (NO NOT ME! ANOTHER JERK), who is none the less a very good dancer. I've taken friends to see him, both of them very much artistic afficionados. They both said the same thing. He's a jerk, way too stuck on himself, but a real talent none the less.

;)
Devil's advocate. How do you know you're not? You were expecting Khaled to be a prick.....

Some people may not care for Khalid's dancing and that's fine, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are off base. Besides you can't judge someone on seeing them once. Everyone has off nights. Lucy is one of my all time favorite dancer. I've seen her kick ass and take not prisoners one year and be piss poor the next. Which performance should I judge her abilities on?

I don't think it was a matter of person A not liking person B's dancing.

Why judge at all? Like you say because someone has an off night they don't suddenly become a shit dancer.