Advice on Egyptian cd's and costumes

Asheba

Being new to this (very) its a minefield out there re dance music for belly etc...any advice on the best to dance to..more modern please and also any advice on the best web sites for costumes that are good quality and that don't cost the earth for shippping etc...:D

Asheba

Hi, Salome, egyptian...have posed this question on another thread and had a few replies....but any more thoughts all very(believe me ) gratefully received...thank you x

Salome

Administrator
You might try hossamramzy.com for music. I think he's got preview clips so you can see what you like first...

samira shuruk

Being new to this (very) its a minefield out there re dance music for belly etc...any advice on the best to dance to..more modern please and also any advice on the best web sites for costumes that are good quality and that don't cost the earth for shippping etc...:D

As far as "the best to dance to"- this depends on the dance situations are are going to persue.
The first requirement, though, I think is that it moves you and makes you feel something and WANT to dance. Beyond that there are SO many different styles that it's really difficult to say.
I buy from www.maqam.com all the time. They have clips of a lot of the music and they have really good prices. I also like checking www.rashid.com as well. Their clips are only of the first song off of a CD, but I've still gotten some gems from them, also great prices.
For me it's also been useful to use Amazon as a cross reference. If Maqam or Rashid don't have a clip, Amazon might (if they carry it).

For costumes- it also depends upon whay kind of costume you are looking for. www.dahlal.com and www.audrenas.com both have high end. Their prices reflect that. I've heard really good things about http://www.bellydancewithk.com/boutique/
both for the quality of costume and service.

Kiadorin

Two more places to preview music: www.aramusic.com and www.musicoflebanon.com (despite the name, they don't just carry Lebanese stuff). They both seem to offer a lot of pop, though, so you may wanna stick with the other suggestions if that's not your thing.

Edited to add: The good thing about musicoflebanon is that you can hear the entire song (even those hour-long Umm K. pieces). Never bought anything there yet, but I like the site for that reason alone.

Last edited:

Mariesaffron

For music I go to Amazon.com music world music, and type belly dance. or Barnes and Nobles and do the same, you can listen to samples of the music you want to buy,