Instructional Videos for Egyptian, Turkish and Tribal BD

AngelaJP

Hi! :D What are the best beginner and intermediate/advanced BD instructional videos in the market now? The present videos I have are Kathy Smith-Ansuya which is my favorite, Neena and Veena Fitness BD which I find okay but somewhat boring and a Filipino BD video which is just so-so. I want to start a collection as long as I can afford it as it's boring doing one video again and again and again.

I'd like to have ones that have very clear instructions, explanations and demo about a BD move, nice music and choreography and lasts longer! Instructions, explanations and demo like the way Kashmir here did.

I desperately need them since the belly dance schools in Christchurch, NZ, are not that near from my home here, at least not compared to when I was in the Philippines when the school was just a 10-minute jeep ride away from my home. After dropping in Kashmir's marvelous class last night here, I vowed never to leave BD despite the less easy situation and location I am in now. So I want to practice at home too!

Oh by the way, finally, I attended Kashmir's BD school here in NZ and it was a truly beautiful, enlightening and worthwhile experience as I learned sooooooooooo much in just an hour and half! Thank you Kashmir! ;)

AngelaJP

Found a few here for sale. How do you find :

1) Jillina's instructional videos
2) Neena and Veena's Beyond Basics video

I was hoping to get Jenna's instructional vid but I can't find this on sale in NZ or Australia.

Thank you ;)

jenc

I didn't like jillina's level 2 and sold it - possibly mainly because it did floor work. I also don't like Neena and Veena. My daughter got that dvd and was v disappointed. It's just one basic dance and the instruction isn't v good.

follow this link to see where other NZers suggest amazon.uk... Although here in the UK I often use amazon.com as they have a better bd selection and they seem to arrive here at least as quick as stuff I order from UK

New Zealand - Amazon.com - what's the NZ equivalent??

Marya

Found a few here for sale. How do you find :

1) Jillina's instructional videos
2) Neena and Veena's Beyond Basics video

I was hoping to get Jenna's instructional vid but I can't find this on sale in NZ or Australia.

Thank you ;)

For Basic Egyptian Style, I highly recommend Aisha Azar's DVD. Beginning level, clear instruction and demonstration. no Choreography but there is an introductory performance.

For Lebanese Style I recommend Meissoun's (of Zurich) DVD.

I would be careful of Veena and Neena, I like some of their moves but they do not talk about safe posture, and sometimes their posture puts a lot of strain on the back.

Shareen el Safey has a number of good instructional videos, but the ones I have anyway are not really for beginners.

Marya

Mya

HI Angela,

You might want to search out our instructional dvd thread - it has alot of reviews from all the different folks here - also i think zorba's website has some good reviews too that can help guide you. Good luck!

P.S. I'm so jealous that you're getting to do classes with one of our great resources here on the forum.

Happy Dancing!
Mya

AngelaJP

I didn't like jillina's level 2 and sold it - possibly mainly because it did floor work. I also don't like Neena and Veena. My daughter got that dvd and was v disappointed. It's just one basic dance and the instruction isn't v good.

follow this link to see where other NZers suggest amazon.uk... Although here in the UK I often use amazon.com as they have a better bd selection and they seem to arrive here at least as quick as stuff I order from UK

Jen, thank you for sharing the link with me! I'll check out Amazon.uk and hope the shipping's not too expensive as I'm on a budget, hehe.

This brand new Jillina dvd is a set of 3 for her beginner's, intermediate and advanced for only US$24. I have not tried floor work! :confused: I already have 3 of Neena&Veena's basic and fitness videos and I got so bored and like your daughter, was not impressed! I was just wondering if they have somehow improved in their "Beyond Basics" video. Marya mentioned also about their bad posture. Well, Neena's will be the last in the list now.

Marya: For Basic Egyptian Style, I highly recommend Aisha Azar's DVD. Beginning level, clear instruction and demonstration. no Choreography but there is an introductory performance.

For Lebanese Style I recommend Meissoun's (of Zurich) DVD.

I would be careful of Veena and Neena, I like some of their moves but they do not talk about safe posture, and sometimes their posture puts a lot of strain on the back.

Shareen el Safey has a number of good instructional videos, but the ones I have anyway are not really for beginners.

I will definitely check out Aisha's dvd online, Marya! I just hope shipping won't cost too much. I didn't know our very own Aisha here had a dvd, wow! Will also check out Meissoun's and Shareen's. I have 5 beginner's BD instructional videos here so the intermediate would be somewhat exciting to have. Having 2nd, 3rd, 4th thoughts about Neena and Veena now. Thank you so much, Marya! ;)

Mya: You might want to search out our instructional dvd thread - it has alot of reviews from all the different folks here - also i think zorba's website has some good reviews too that can help guide you. Good luck!

P.S. I'm so jealous that you're getting to do classes with one of our great resources here on the forum.

I didn't know we had an instructional dvd thread here, Mya! :lol: Thank you for the info :D I've been to Zorba's site and will go back there in a bit for the video page.

Yes, I had the honor of being in Kashmir's class and I learned so much in 1 1/2 hours! I begged my partner to bring me to her class even if it was somewhat far from our home here and I'm gladdest I did! :D He begged me to enrol in a nearer BD school later on (haha!) but I'll surely go to Kashmir's once in a while. So it would be more convenient for me, I just hope I will learn how to drive in the streets here and right hand drive too! In the Philippines, we have the left hand drive and the cars are slow moving because of the super traffic.

Cheers, girls! ;)

Angela

Last edited:

Kashmir

Oh by the way, finally, I attended Kashmir's BD school here in NZ and it was a truly beautiful, enlightening and worthwhile experience as I learned sooooooooooo much in just an hour and half! Thank you Kashmir! ;)
Thanks for that Angela. For some reason I don't click you were the same Angela (should have looked at the photo) ;)

HananSamar

Hi all,

for egyptian style I can highly recommend Reyhan's( of Germany ) instructional videos.

DVDs und Musik

The last one on the page is also in English language. It's called:
Aufbaukurs Raqs Sharqi - Tanzbewegungen des ägyptischen Stils" which means " Advanced lessons Raqs Sharki - Moves of the egyptian style"

The other ones are also very good. Two of them are choreography, but with well explained technique, but you have to understand german for that.

Greetz Hanan

jenc

Hi. If i were you i would also check out amazon.com. they are often cheaper and better selction for me in UK!!!

Kashmir

For Egyptian style Shareen el Safy is always good value. I'll see if I can dig one out for a short look at the hafla.

AngelaJP

Thanks for that Angela. For some reason I don't click you were the same Angela (should have looked at the photo) ;)For Egyptian style Shareen el Safy is always good value. I'll see if I can dig one out for a short look at the hafla.

Haha! That was me alright, Kashmir. I think I look darker in person.

I'd love to take a quick peek at Shareen's video at the hafla. Is there any place here in NZ where they sell that video?

When and where is the hafla again so I could arrange it with Graham? His schedule is always full! See you soon, Kashmir! Cheers! ;)

Gretz: for egyptian style I can highly recommend Reyhan's( of Germany ) instructional videos. The last one on the page is also in English language. It's called: Aufbaukurs Raqs Sharqi - Tanzbewegungen des ägyptischen Stils" The other ones are also very good. Two of them are choreography, but with well explained technique, but you have to understand german for that.

Thank you for the recommendation, Gretz. I understand only "some" German, hehe. I'll check those out in the internet. Hope it's available within Australia or NZ. On a budget now! :D

JenC: Hi. If i were you i would also check out amazon.com. they are often cheaper and better selction for me in UK!!!

I have checked Amazon UK already but not that thoroughly as I have been somewhat busy these past days. I will definitely look some more. Thank you Jen! :)

Kashmir

I'd love to take a quick peek at Shareen's video at the hafla. Is there any place here in NZ where they sell that video?

When and where is the hafla again so I could arrange it with Graham? His schedule is always full! See you soon, Kashmir! Cheers! ;)
I buy all my videos/DVDs from the States (ugh - the NZ dollar is really low at the moment) or Australia. If you like Shareen's style (many people don't as she is quite wordy) best to go to the source Shareen el Safy Instructional Videos.

Hafla's this Friday from 7pm. If you can't make it, I can show you it between classes.

AngelaJP

I buy all my videos/DVDs from the States (ugh - the NZ dollar is really low at the moment) or Australia. If you like Shareen's style (many people don't as she is quite wordy) best to go to the source Shareen el Safy Instructional Videos.

Hafla's this Friday from 7pm. If you can't make it, I can show you it between classes.

I don't like too wordy though but I'd like to see Shareen's video first in your school before I decide. The cheapest I got and ordered were over TradeMe. Jillina's 3-dvd set for NZ$39.95 I think and also Mystic Bellydance with Neena and Veena (Yikes! I hope it's not as bad as the ones I own) for only NZ$20. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that these will be good.

If Graham won't be busy and we're not heading to Picton this Friday, I'll definitely be at the hafla. Never been to a hafla in my life :)

Take care, Kashmir! Cheers!

Angela

KuteNurse

I am thinking purchasing Sadie and Kaya's pops locks and shimmies. I have heard good things about them. Does anyone have other suggestions for technique dvd's?

kayshier

Question.

does anybody have the Masters of Egyptian Choreograhpy dvd set?
any reviews or opinions?
is it worth investing in?

zahra

I love the series by Hadia-it includes Egyptian, Turkish and
drum solos.

HADIA'S DVD'S, Instructional & Training for Belly Dancers

There are video clips on many of the new videos on this link.
Her early videos (now on dvd) are excellent as well.

The new Ultimate Belly Dance system is well organized and
lots of very good lessons.

She often travels internationally, so some of her dvds may be
available through a dancer who sponsors one of her seminars.

Damariz

yes! They are a great value, with each having over 2 hours of instruction and 30 minutes of performance. Clear filming and easy to understand instruction. My favorite so far is leila's.

Question.

does anybody have the Masters of Egyptian Choreograhpy dvd set?
any reviews or opinions?
is it worth investing in?

And for the person looking for some good egyptian videos, i'm selling several egyptian vhs and dvd in the market place forum right now if you're interested.

Last edited: