A step too far?

karena

One where you end up falling off the stage :lol:

(Sorry I've been trying so hard to resist that. I'll be quiet now.;))

Shanazel

Any form of exhibitionism, such as flashing body parts better left unflashed or making overtly sexual gestures.

lizaj

Too much stage makeup and a bad costume.

Most people seem to err on the side of too little and a bad costume is probably in the eye of the beholder.;)
I don't want to see butt cheeks,nipples and genitalia...I don't mind cleavage and leg show.
I don't like the blow-up doll look.the lip licking, toying with hair, coy little submissive girlie!

I don't like to see dancers in restaruants trying to persuade reluctant diners to get up, get dressed up etc nor those who sit, wriggling on gents knees.

I don't like belly dance meets pantomime unless done with tongue firmly in cheek.

Sita

Any form of exhibitionism, such as flashing body parts better left unflashed or making overtly sexual gestures.

Just curious.. would you consider some of Dina's costumes and dance routines a step to far then?
because while I feel she can easily meet your definition it has not seemed to really hurt her career or reputation as a dancer :think:

Sita

karena

I don't think there is any step too far per se. Depends on the context. Things evolve, change and challenge. Sure there are things I don't want to see, things that may damage the image of the dance etc, but it is all context.

And thank-you Sita ;-)

Caroline_afifi

All is context - even Raqs Beaver!!!!

Dont even go there!

That was the 39 steps too far.

As the organiser of this now 'world famous' event, I would rather have this scientifically erased from my memory. :pray:

Last edited by a moderator:

Amulya

A step too far, no lots of steps too far: that kama sutra performance a couple of years ago from what-'s-their-name. Or that pierced wings tribal performance at a famous tribal event. But then again, some people didn't mind.

Shanazel

Just curious.. would you consider some of Dina's costumes and dance routines a step to far then?
because while I feel she can easily meet your definition it has not seemed to really hurt her career or reputation as a dancer :think:

Part of Dina's fame stems from her over the top costumes, and she has capitalized on this very successfully. However, she has come in for a great deal of criticism from places as diverse as the UDBC thread and the Egyptian Powers That Be, so it hasn't all been roses for her. She is a canny business woman, though, and even made hay of criticism. I admire her in many ways.

For me personally, her costumes distract from her dancing- I find myself wondering if she's going to pop out of the metal bodice before it cuts her poor boobs in half or where in heaven's name she found those bicycle shorts or if she wore that half midi/half mini skirt because her other costumes were in the laundry. As for her sexual playfulness, I have been told I simply don't appreciate the Egyptian sense of humor, and that is probably so. The playful butt touching and butt waggling at a dancing partner that gave rise to my reputation as humorless in the Egyptian fashion seems adolescent and boring to me, but to each his own.;)

teela

I fully agree with Amulya on this. Unfortunately, they've just released a DVD whose cover borders on the distasteful side. I think when we perform, we need to use common sense, good judgement and think about our audience. I realize that people often want to explore their artistic side but there are still boundaries we need to look at when we perform and keep those boundaries in mind. Where I work right now, it is well known that two young ladies have a pole in their living room. They've told me they use it for the latest exercise fad, unfortunately word has gotten out that they have it and are strippers. Not good. I sometimes think people look at the "me" aspect without considering who is watching.

karena

"Not good" that people have drawn incorrect conclusions based on assumptions, or "not good" that they did something which could be interpreted in that way?

Caroline_afifi

well they should have stuck to swinging themselves sexily around brooms and mops like I do every day doing my house work... not.:lol:

Jane

What do people consider 'a step too far' in a performance?

When it becomes more about the dancer than the dance.

It's hard to verbalize, but it has to do with a Look at me exhibitionism feeling vs. Look at this beautiful dance. I don't mean taking the dancers personality out of a performance, but the dance should be what is presented by a dancer, not the other way round. This kind of attitude makes me very uncomfortable when watching a performance.

Am I making sense at all? I'm not putting this very well :confused:

Shanazel

You make very good sense, Jane., and I agree with you. Some performances showcase the dance and some showcase the person.

teela

Jane about the same time you made your comment, I realized I prefer the style of dancing (doesn't matter if egyptian, lebanese, turkish, am cab) that flows with the music and seems natural. I am finding the dancers who use pops, locks, etc as percussive measure rather than a subtle emphasis seem to jar the flow rather than being apart of the music and the dance.