Obama's president: What does the world think?

Tarik Sultan

Okay, lets try that again

As someone else already mentioned the restrictions to voting were greatest in the South. It was never that people couldn't vote, because it was part of the constitution. What they did was place hurdles in the way that made it impossible for most blacks to vote. The poll tax and literacy tests for example. It should be noted that if these criteria were place on many whites in the south, they would not have been unable to vote either. If you were wealthy enough to pay the tax and educated enough to pass the literacy test, then they would try to get you by making you take a citizenship test where they asked you all kinds of questions the average person would not be able to answer. If that failed, then they would resort to all out terrorism.

To answer the second part of your question, it was not based on looks. Black is really a misnomer because most black people in the Us and Caribbean are really not 100% pure blooded Africans. The average Afro American is in fact genetically anywhere from 35 to 90% European. Some communities like the Creols have a very high degree of mixture with at least 2 or more races. The way they knew who was who is because a person's ancestry would be known by the community they lived in and you have to vote in your community. The only way to get around that is if your family was light enough that there was no visible trace of African characteristics in them. In that case, people just picked up and moved somewhere where no one knew who they were. They pretended to be white. Many times they didn't even tell their children. In the case where the whole family was not able to or willing to pass for white, a family member would simply disappear, not tell their family where they were going and no one would hear from them again. Many families, including my own have stories like this about relatives who were never heard from again.

As for other peoples, like Jamaicans and Egyptians..... That's complicated. Most immigrants migrated to the industrial centers of the North, New York, Chicago, Boston and so were not subjected to the daily prejudices in the South. However, once we did go south, we were treated just like any Afro American.

With regards to Egyptians... this is where it gets crazy. Egypt is a melting pot between Africa and the Asian continents and the population is in fact a mixed one made up of East African, South West Asian and Mediterranean. So like many African Americans, they are a racial mix. If we applied the rule in America of the one drop of African blood = 100% African, then Egyptians regardless of their physical appearance would be black. However, on paper, because they are considered a part of the Middle East and are Arabs, they are technically classifies as White. So this guy is considered white.... at least on paper:
Anwar Sadat: Former president of Egypt.

Last edited:

Pirika Repun

If you were wealthy enough to pay the tax and educated enough to pass the literacy test, then they would try to get you by making you take a citizenship test where they asked you all kinds of questions the average person would not be able to answer. If that failed, then they would resort to all out terrorism.

When I renew my green card (every 10years you have to renew, but if you got green card in sometime in 80s your green card id permanent, and do not need renew. So, your green card photo stay when you took the card, and stay in young.) I was unemployed because I lost my job in 911, so I didn’t have enough money to apply for citizenship, and I wasn’t sure if I want to be US citizen at that time. Then I saw Bush got second term as president, and finally I got permanent job in late 2004, I decide to become citizen. I was waiting a year to get citizenship test. I applied in December 2004, and I had exam in December 2005. This exam is like driver’s license exam. You can download 100 practice questions and answers for free from the web site.

US citizenship info web site: Immigration at USCitizenship.info: INS, US Immigration, Citizenship Application, USCIS

You can see some sample questions from this site Sample INS Citizenship Questions

I took old form of test. It was 10 questions from the sample questions, and that was all oral exams. An examiner asks you questions, and then you just answer them. Written exam, but it was very easy. You answered in just a sentence. Listening exam was easy too. When examiner said “Today is fine day.” then you wrote down “Today is fine day” and very simple and easy sentences. So, if you practice and study these sample questions, you are fine. However, I was very nervous when I took exam. All my friends who already have citizenship told me that I would be fine, but I wasn’t sure. But some of them from English speaking countries, and some of them are from French or Spanish speaking countries, so they are fine, but I’m from Far East, so I was little worried…

I was surprised when I went to the oath, officer asked some one to volunteer translate English to Mandarin Chinese, because the person do not understand English at all! Then how come the person passes the exam? I don’t know.

When I passed the exam, and went oath, they took my green card, because I don’t need anymore. However, one guy I assume he is from Russia or some part of former Soviet asked the officer if there is any ID card to proof he is US citizen. The officer said “No” because he became citizen. However, I understand his point, because if you have thick accent and look little different than majority of US citizens, some one ask you ID or you have legal statement in the US. So far I have no problem even I have thick accent and look different, and hopefully no problem in the future…

Now become US citizen is very expensive. You have to pay $595 plus a biometrics fee of $80; the fee total is $675! :shok: The increase fee last year, so I was lucky that I paid half of this price. :cool:

Tarik Sultan

Part 2 Race and Civil Rights in the South

However, in real life, people in the South would go by the eye ball test if they didn't know a person and treat them accordingly. This picture is of African American Civil Rights activist Adam Clayton Powell, the second is the first African American Supreme Court judge Thurgood Marshall and the last picture is of Egypt's first president Gamal Abd el Nasser. Can you see any major racial differences between these three men? So if Powell and Marshall were perceived as negros and discriminated accordingly, how do you think they would have treated the average Egyptian based on their appearance? They would have been treated the same, unless they were visiting government dignitaries.

Caroline_afifi

As someone else already mentioned the restrictions to voting were greatest in the South. It was never that people couldn't vote, because it was part of the constitution. What they did was place hurdles in the way that made it impossible for most blacks to vote. The poll tax and literacy tests for example. It should be noted that if these criteria were place on many whites in the south, they would not have been unable to vote either. If you were wealthy enough to pay the tax and educated enough to pass the literacy test, then they would try to get you by making you take a citizenship test where they asked you all kinds of questions the average person would not be able to answer. If that failed, then they would resort to all out terrorism.

To answer the second part of your question, it was not based on looks. Black is really a misnomer because most black people in the Us and Caribbean are really not 100% pure blooded Africans. The average Afro American is in fact genetically anywhere from 35 to 90% European. Some communities like the Creols have a very high degree of mixture with at least 2 or more races. The way they knew who was who is because a person's ancestry would be known by the community they lived in and you have to vote in your community. The only way to get around that is if your family was light enough that there was no visible trace of African characteristics in them. In that case, people just picked up and moved somewhere where no one knew who they were. They pretended to be white. Many times they didn't even tell their children. In the case where the whole family was not able to or willing to pass for white, a family member would simply disappear, not tell their family where they were going and no one would hear from them again. Many families, including my own have stories like this about relatives who were never heard from again.

As for other peoples, like Jamaicans and Egyptians..... That's complicated. Most immigrants migrated to the industrial centers of the North, New York, Chicago, Boston and so were not subjected to the daily prejudices in the South. However, once we did go south, we were treated just like any Afro American.

With regards to Egyptians... this is where it gets crazy. Egypt is a melting pot between Africa and the Asian continents and the population is in fact a mixed one made up of East African, South West Asian and Mediterranean. So like many African Americans, they are a racial mix. If we applied the rule in America of the one drop of African blood = 100% African, then Egyptians regardless of their physical appearance would be black. However, on paper, because they are considered a part of the Middle East and are Arabs, they are technically classifies as White. So this guy is considered white.... at least on paper:
Anwar Sadat: Former president of Egypt.

Anwar Sadats Mother was Sudanese her name was Sit el Barain and his father was a very light skinned Egyptian from the Delta.

In the Uk, all Arabs and persons from the Middle East and North Africa are considered 'Black' regardless how 'white' they appear.

I guess this is the opposite of the US?

khanjar

What do I personally think of your new president, well, for a start, he is mixed race, black father and white mother, therefore by his very make up, he represents dark skinned peoples and light skinned peoples. Remember, politics can change, ethnicity can't.

I do understand there are those in society that do not feel part of their country, because of their history of oppression, what they perceive is still oppression in modern times and the fact that those in power are not the same, so therefore cannot understand, Obama as the highest person in the country squashes this premise, he did it, then so can anyone, no excuses now.

The change he represents is good, the euphoria that is seen to be sweeping the US, is good, there is hope in difficult times, well, at least there might be understanding from those at the top, but what everyone of every race in the US has to understand, Obama despite his hopes is only human and though I expect he will do his best, things won't change overnight.

But you in the US have hope now, hope for a better future, I for one envy you, as we are still stuck with the same jackasses we always have, people who grudgingly take minute steps in the people's direction only if they stand to gain from it.

Something I remember from my youth, every new craze that started in America, we always got next, I do hope that is the same with the movement for change Obama has created.

Last edited:

masrawy

Telltales of what to come .....

Hello friends,

I just talked with some relatives in Egypt yesterday, and the first thing was said " Mabrouk " for the new president. And not ones was mentioned the color of his skin. I am not surprised by this and if it was a woman I would think I'll get the same response. But there was expectation of a different policy from the new president than the previous one. The first thing was Iraq ... and change of how the US deal with the Middle East.

My opinion
Unfortunately, the expectation is too high since the President-elect has his left-hand tied to his right feet, and his right hand tied to his left ear when it comes to the middle east.

The policy has been decided for him and he's committed to it long before he won, and let's not forget he is already running for his second term in office.

His first choice for Chief of Staff it telltales of what to come, a ballet dancer (just to make it relative to the forum), Jewish Orthodox and a former Israeli volunteer officer.

How much of the change we should expect .... draw your own conclusion. :doh:

masrawy

Anwar Sadats Mother was Sudanese her name was Sit el Barain and his father was a very light skinned Egyptian from the Delta.

In the Uk, all Arabs and persons from the Middle East and North Africa are considered 'Black' regardless how 'white' they appear.

Hey Caroline,
your information is correct about Anwar Sadaat, he was teased more about being " Menoufee" from the Delta than his Sudanese ;) heritage. By the way Jehan el Sadaat mother is British ... he got some jokes about it "Tahsseen El Nassal "a playoff " Tahdeed el Nassal" which translates to improve the family looks instead of the family planning. Prince Charles got the same joke when he married Princess Diana. :D

Last edited:

Tarik Sultan

This is why I say racial classifications are BS! In the USA if you have one drop of African blood, (black African), then you are considered black no matter what you look like.

The only way around that was to pass, which meant cutting yourself off from your family so people would think you were white. That is of course if you had enough European genes to pass.

Now here is where the British system is full of S##T. So ALL North Africans, including Egyptians, regardless of skin color are black..... that is of course unless we're talking about the Ancient Egyptians. Then, no matter how dark they are, they become magically white. They are part of the Caucasian race.

So both systems are equally wacky. Its just that it depends on who they feel like putting into which category, which all depends on whom they perceive as a threat to the society and who they feel should be allowed to have full access to the resources and opportunities of the society. In England its clear, anyone who is not fully English is a threat and therefore their access has to be limited. Anyone not European and English is Black.

In the US it depends on who they feel they need. They needed cheap labor from Africans, they needed the land of Native Americans, and they had to keep poor whites from joining forces with the other two and cutting their throats in their sleep, so they had to split people up and because the US is an immigrant society, they had to create as many divisions as possible. They had to keep Africans and Europeans from mixing and making sure the union of such relations could not inherit, thus eliminating the threat of wealth and power ending up in the hands of the descendants of the servant class. Anyone descended from Africans is now Black, even if they looked as white as anyone in the ruling elite.

NAtive Americans? Kill 'em all if you can. If not, kill enough of them off so they cant resist you taking their land. The mixture of them and a European? Half breed, but two European parents and one Native ancestor=not a threat, after all, we have their land, so we can let them into the white race.

Irish? At first, definitely not white! That is until they noticed they were getting a little too friendly with the blacks, can't have them going over to that side and creating opposition and rioting in the streets. We'll make them white.

Jews? Are you kidding? Well, a lot of them were good in business and financing. Don't want them giving their talents to the other side. Okay, we'll let them in.

Arabs? Oh hell no! But the first ones they came in contact with were Christian Syrians, Lebanese and Palestinians. They're from the Holy LAnd. Can't have people thinking our Lord was a sand Ni$$er. Besides, they can be useful to helping us keep an influence in that region, (that is until they figured they could just make Israel and do it better that way), so yes we'll make them white too. And because the US is so damn ignorant about that region, they just assume everyone who speaks Arabic is the same. So if Syrians are white, then so must be Egyptians Nubians and Sudanese. There was actually a case of a Nubian who was forced by the US Government to declare himself white:
Egyptian immigrant sues U.S. government to change race from white to black | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

Tarik Sultan

Hey Caroline,
your information is correct about Anwar Sadaat, he was teased more about being " Menoufee" from the Delta than his Sudanese ;) heritage. By the way Jehan el Sadaat mother is British ... he got some jokes about it "Tahsseen El Nassal "a playoff " Tahdeed el Nassal" which translates to improve the family looks instead of the family planning. Prince Charles got the same joke when he married Princess Diana. :D

Improve the family looks? Are you kidding? Have you seen his son? If he wanted cute kids he should have married someone else. Egypt is full of much better looking people than what he produced with Jehan.

Pirika Repun

This is why I say racial classifications are BS! In the USA if you have one drop of African blood, (black African), then you are considered black no matter what you look like.

In the US it depends on who they feel they need. They needed cheap labor from Africans, they needed the land of Native Americans, and they had to keep poor whites from joining forces with the other two and cutting their throats in their sleep, so they had to split people up and because the US is an immigrant society, they had to create as many divisions as possible. They had to keep Africans and Europeans from mixing and making sure the union of such relations could not inherit, thus eliminating the threat of wealth and power ending up in the hands of the descendants of the servant class. Anyone descended from Africans is now Black, even if they looked as white as anyone in the ruling elite.

NAtive Americans? Kill 'em all if you can. If not, kill enough of them off so they cant resist you taking their land. The mixture of them and a European? Half breed, but two European parents and one Native ancestor=not a threat, after all, we have their land, so we can let them into the white race.

Irish? At first, definitely not white! That is until they noticed they were getting a little too friendly with the blacks, can't have them going over to that side and creating opposition and rioting in the streets. We'll make them white.

Jews? Are you kidding? Well, a lot of them were good in business and financing. Don't want them giving their talents to the other side. Okay, we'll let them in.

Arabs? Oh hell no! But the first ones they came in contact with were Christian Syrians, Lebanese and Palestinians. They're from the Holy LAnd. Can't have people thinking our Lord was a sand Ni$$er. Besides, they can be useful to helping us keep an influence in that region, (that is until they figured they could just make Israel and do it better that way), so yes we'll make them white too. And because the US is so damn ignorant about that region, they just assume everyone who speaks Arabic is the same. So if Syrians are white, then so must be Egyptians Nubians and Sudanese. There was actually a case of a Nubian who was forced by the US Government to declare himself white:
Egyptian immigrant sues U.S. government to change race from white to black | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

Hey you forgot Asians! :protest:

However, I understand we Asians are relatively new immigrants in the US, and still many people DO NOT count Asian as people in here.;) Many people think Asians can’t speak English (well, it’s kind of true) can’t figure out what we are thinking (well, it’s kind of true again) and just come to this country, and don’t say anything, and make money and left! :cool: Yeah. We do that. LOL. :lol: We are minority, but do not belong neither black nor white, and we just sneak in and take advantage! Hee hee hee. I’m just kidding!

But many times I feel we do not exist in here, even Chinese are world’s majority population. Just we don’t look like black or white, I feel like we are not part of it. Again, I understand this country’s history, but one day I hope Asians also can recognize as part of it, not only “Made in China, Made in Korea”

Ok. I'll go back to sports mood. :cool:

gypsy8522

Sorry to rant, as this was not the way I intended the conversation to go..... but what do you think the other candidate and his party could have done to protect us from terrorism? Where was their knowledge and ability when it came to dealing with the Middle East in the past? Its because of their foreign policies that we are in the mess we are in now. We lost a little over 2,000 people in 9/11. Do you have any idea the millions of innocent lives that have been lost in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do you have any idea the extent of suffering and deformities children are being born with in Iraq because of radiation from depleated uranium?

Thank you Tarik so much for thinking like a human being. The 2000+ people who died in New York were not all American, that's a myth. But I think it's more convenient for certain people to forget about the FIRST major terrorist attack on American soil, the Oklahoma City bombing. You know, that buidling that was blown up by a terrorist CATHOLIC boy? I'm sure that's also an incident that many people will never forget!

And I do have an idea about the extent of suffering and deformities children are born with in Iraq, SO? Uhm, as long as they're from Iraq... and they weren't aborted, I don't see a problem! [/SARCASM]

Last edited:

Tarik Sultan

Hey you forgot Asians! :protest:

However, I understand we Asians are relatively new immigrants in the US, and still many people DO NOT count Asian as people in here.;) Many people think Asians can’t speak English (well, it’s kind of true) can’t figure out what we are thinking (well, it’s kind of true again) and just come to this country, and don’t say anything, and make money and left! :cool: Yeah. We do that. LOL. :lol: We are minority, but do not belong neither black nor white, and we just sneak in and take advantage! Hee hee hee. I’m just kidding!

But many times I feel we do not exist in here, even Chinese are world’s majority population. Just we don’t look like black or white, I feel like we are not part of it. Again, I understand this country’s history, but one day I hope Asians also can recognize as part of it, not only “Made in China, Made in Korea”

Ok. I'll go back to sports mood. :cool:

Well if you look at the history of this country you'll see that there was a great deal of discrimination against Asians. The first immigration restraints were aimed at Asians or "The yellow peril" as the called them. There are still people alive who remember that during WW2 all Japanese were rounded up and forced into concentration camps.

As far as racial classifications go Asians are not viewed as a threat the same way people of African descent are. Any white Asian mixture beyond the second generation is usually considered white. Perhaps in their case it a matter of their low numbers. I don't know.:think:

Tarik Sultan

Thank you Tarik so much for thinking like a human being. The 2000+ people who died in New York were not all American, that's a myth. But I think it's more convenient for certain people to forget about the FIRST major terrorist attack on American soil, the Oklahoma City bombing. You know, that buidling that was blown up by a terrorist CATHOLIC boy? I'm sure that's also an incident that many people will never forget!

And I do have an idea about the extent of suffering and deformities children are born with in Iraq, SO? Uhm, as long as they're from Iraq... and they weren't aborted, I don't see a problem!

The World Trade Center was a reflection of the international nature of this City. Mexicans, Latinos, West Indians, East Indians, Jews, Arabs, Egyptians, Asians everybody were among the victims that day. There was no community that did not experience the loss of a loved one or friend.

As for Oklahoma, that was conveniently swept under the rug. I don't understand why the government moved heaven and earth to destroy groups like the Young Lords and the Black Panthers, but allow the KKK and other militant and armed terror groups to exist.

The birth defects in Iraq. I wonder if the pictures were widely circulated in the media if people would be so complacent? I doubt most people are even aware of the problem or its severity. I debated whether to post this or not. Let me just warn everybody first. If you are easily disturbed or not in a strong place emotionally, you do not want to look at these pictures.
GULF WAR SYNDROME BIRTH DEFECTS IN IRAQ CHILDREN BABIES EXTREME BIRTH DEFORMITIES DEPLETED URANIUM AMMUNITION

This is just one reason why we need to get out of this war and exactly what the people of New York did NOT want to happen. This is our worse fears in flesh and blood come to life.

Moon

I am very happy :) I heard on the news over 90% of the Dutch would have voted Obama if they could.

I'm happy because I like to see someone else than a white man as president for a change. And so far I've always preferred democrats.

And Tarik I can't give any rep right now, just wanted to say "thank you".

Last edited:

Caroline_afifi

The only way around that was to pass, which meant cutting yourself off from your family so people would think you were white. That is of course if you had enough European genes to pass.

Now here is where the British system is full of S##T. So ALL North Africans, including Egyptians, regardless of skin color are black..... that is of course unless we're talking about the Ancient Egyptians. Then, no matter how dark they are, they become magically white. They are part of the Caucasian race.

So both systems are equally wacky. Its just that it depends on who they feel like putting into which category, which all depends on whom they perceive as a threat to the society and who they feel should be allowed to have full access to the resources and opportunities of the society. In England its clear, anyone who is not fully English is a threat and therefore their access has to be limited. Anyone not European and English is Black.

I just realised something which contradicts what I said earlier, but are both true.

These days, in terms of classification, a person can choose what they want.

Classification in terms of 'Black British' is not about skin colour but about how you identify yourself or are perhaps suffer as a victim of racism and prejudice.. which in turn means you may not have equal access or status in various aspects of life and treated differently.

A young half chinese /half white English (whatever that means) can be a vistim of racism and need support with racial issues.
Black law groups who specialise in these areas may offer support, they do not question if they are Black enough.

The child in question may be very white skinned but have slightly Oriental shaped eyes, which other kids pick up on a use against the child.

A black African from Nigeria can classify himself/herself as white if they wish and nobody in the UK authorities are allowed to say a single word about it.

Many people do classify themselves as Black in the UK and see it as a way of standing up and being counted and included. No one is forced to fill these forms in.

This is not to say that the motivations for first setting this up was not sinister, and it does not mean it is not extremely complicated.

I have said this before, for me, classification in the present day means equality can be monitored and measured.

I dont want to even think about what people can get away with if we dont have it! people do not realise how many battles have been won by using these figures. It also has major funding implications in some areas.

Do you think we would get a shit load of funding for the Arab Arts festival if we all identified ourselves as white?
do you think we could get this money if we said there were five Arabs in Liverpool? hell no.

7 years ago there were 5000. Now there are 12,000.

How do we know?

people tick the boxes and we use them to our advantage.

At the end of the day, it is 100%voluntary.

lizaj

Whatever you may think of the British attitude to racial classification...we certainly seem to have black heroes these days. 3% of our population have produced footballers, athletes, singers, actors and now a FI world champion.
All greatly admired...we're getting there!Some way to go...but getting there.

Tarik Sultan

Whatever you may think of the British attitude to racial classification...we certainly seem to have black heroes these days. 3% of our population have produced footballers, athletes, singers, actors and now a FI world champion.
All greatly admired...we're getting there!Some way to go...but getting there.

Its not the average person I have a problem with, but the illogical, hypocritical self serving attitude of the ruling elite who make the rules. Its great that there are people of non European extraction in the media eye, but it would be even better if they also showed scientists, businessmen and women, academics first. The reason is because people have no problem accepting us as entertainers, because that is non threatening and doesn't contradict the white supremacist notion of power. But showing us being in real positions of authority? Showing that we are making real contributions to the world in medicine, technology, education, in other words, that we are just as intelligent and capable as anyone else? That's something.

Now don't misunderstand me, every achievement is a step forward. I'll bet there was a time when you would never have seen blacks in athletics in England. But the only problem there is that just like here in the states, for children of color living in economically depressed communities, they get the impression that unless they can sing, rap, or be amazing athletes, they can't be successful. This is one reason why Obama's achievement means so much to us. We are not fooling ourselves as to what he will be able to do in office, we are hopeful, but realistic. The importance is that now there is a person of color in the highest office in the land to show us that if you get an education and work hard, you can be successful. This might seem like, "dughh, of course", to many people reading this, but you have to realize that a great deal of the problems we face are mental and emotional. Educated, articulate, successful Blacks are not shown in the media.

There use to be a time when communities were made of a variety of people of all socio economic levels. The poor kids saw people who looked just like them who were lawyers doctors and lived in big houses. They were part of the community. So the prospect of getting an education and making something of themselves didn't seem like a pipe dream. These days, things are very different. Because of the cheap drugs that started being pumped into black communities in the 60's, violent crime exploded, so the people who had the means, moved away to safer communities. This meant that the most educated and best role models were gone. What was left? The drug dealer, the pimp, the gang bangers and of course the singers, entertainers and athletes on T.V.

For white kids this situation is just as damaging. All they know about blacks is that they live in the ghetto and they never see them in any other role, so they come to question whether or not a black can do a job properly and when they see one in a professional setting, they assume they got the position because of affirmative action. In other words, they didn't get the job because they had the brains, they got the job just because they were black. What they fail to realize is that affirmative action didn't just fill quotas with any old black person. The person had to have the proper education and ability to qualify for the job. So This is why Obama is important. Its not just us in the West, but all over the world who need to see that a person of color can be handsome, articulate, intelligent and capable. When countries like Egypt and India have internalized color prejudice to the point where they are pushing skin whitening creams to their own population, with the message that the way to succeed in business, find love, have friends is to have light skin, we need to show them that this is a lie.

lizaj

Yes we also have examples of politicians, academics, lawyers,successful business men/women but the GP loves its' sportsmen and women and entertainers first and formost and again note the %..it's a lot less than yours.