Is there a secret to slow, serpentine movements????

Angie

If so, what is it? I'm sort-of new, and I keep seeing workshops avertised as "the secret to slow movements, or serpentine..." I have a lot of videos, however, where I live we don't really have any real professional teachers/dancers. So I can't help but wonder what it could be. :shok: Any ideas???

I remember once this friend used to make the best banana bread, and she had a secret ingrediant that really made a difference in the recipe, but wouldn't give it out. It drove me crazy for a very long time, till I finally found out it was sour cream. :dance: Now I make great banana bread as well. So, if there really is a method to slow, serpentine movements I would like to know what it is.

BTW, I'm going to be attending a lot of workshops in the next year because I really want to get good at this dance form. Please let me know if you have any you reccomend. I like Oriental, but at this point would take from anyone good as long as it's in the U.S. - Thanks!

Angie

Nur Al Leyali

if so, what is it? I'm sort-of new, and i keep seeing workshops avertised as "the secret to slow movements, or serpentine..." i have a lot of videos, however, where i live we don't really have any real professional teachers/dancers. So i can't help but wonder what it could be. :shok: Any ideas???

I remember once this friend used to make the best banana bread, and she had a secret ingrediant that really made a difference in the recipe, but wouldn't give it out. It drove me crazy for a very long time, till i finally found out it was sour cream. :dance: Now i make great banana bread as well. So, if there really is a method to slow, serpentine movements i would like to know what it is.

Btw, i'm going to be attending a lot of workshops in the next year because i really want to get good at this dance form. Please let me know if you have any you reccomend. I like oriental, but at this point would take from anyone good as long as it's in the u.s. - thanks!

Angie

for me the secet has always been muscular control and flexibility and thats not really a secret. But for a good loing slow serpintine it has to come from 3 places , your brain, your muscles, and your strtched out ligiments... I say brain because you have to put your self in that place a lil like role playing and think as you do it slow control slow control slow control... And think i can do this i am in control of my body. And put your self in mood make your mood be serpintine... What i mean is think i am a snake i doNT mean wiggle wiggle hehe i mean put your head in the right place then stretch those muscles out and warm up realllllllllyyyyy good before,,, yoga and pillates .. Wonderful! And then practice going further into the moves until you reach a point where you cant go no further or your going to tip over .... Haha i know but thats flexibility and you need it. When you prctice really good at those ths then you tone it down and pick a nice song something slow always slow ( u would look out of your mind doing serpintine moves to really fast drum solo haha) and tone it down dont go to the tipping over point just subtly use the same move and it will come out slow and soft and silky the word is smooth... I hope that helps you!!!!!!!

Hi Angie, good question! I'm sure there are more than one way to accomplish the serpentine moves, so keep your mind open and use what's best for you. here are my sugestions:
1) Start with the music..slow chiftetellis are a good start. The foundation of your dance must come from the music. Music that features a predominance of wind(nay) and string instruments(violins, accordions etc) help create the emotive sounds you're looking for. Taxims are made for snake-like movements
2) Typical sinuous moves are those that create circles, spirals, waves and figure eights. Stationary postions show off these moves best, too much travelling breaks the hypnotic spell.
3) Create your movement with your muscles as opposed to large skeletal movements. This of course takes practice as you begin to mentally connect to your body. With that being said, there is no quick and easy way to achieve what you hope to gain.
4) Practice facial expressions in the mirror. personally, I think a serene and expressive face goes a long way.
That's it for now, I hope it helps
Yasmine

Kashmir

for me the secet has always been muscular control and flexibility and thats not really a secret. But for a good loing slow serpintine it has to come from 3 places , your brain, your muscles, and your strtched out ligiments...
I kinda agree. I'd say flexibility (muscles mostly - if you actually manage to stretch ligaments you're in trouble), strength & control, and brain.

If you don't have the flexibility then you cannot get the movements. To gain flexibility you must first identify what is limiting you and work on a single muscle group at a time (if you work on two then the one that is already flexible will do most of the extension). If the issue is not muscular - for example I have hip flexibility issues which are linked to the length and angle of the top of my femur - there may not be any way to fix it.

Flexibility alone is not enough if you cannot hold it back. Already flexible people need to learn to stop their body at any point and hold it (and eventually the others have to too).

However, you can have both but not execute the movements correctly. The order that your muscles fire is important. Step one is to learn how. Step two is to do it without conscious thought. This is often summed up as "practice" - but it needs to be correct practice. Check your movement in the mirror - stop it if it looks wrong. Then start again. 10 000 repetitions to gain a new physical skill.

Shanazel

No secret, just long, thoughtful, careful hours of practice. A few of my hardest tasks as a teacher: 1)convincing my students to SLOW DOWN and
2) convincing them to be precise in practicing new movements, and 3) convincing them they will not commit a movement to body memory by practicing it half a dozen times or so.

HOWEVER... you can try adding sour cream if you think that will help:).

Mya

A few of my hardest tasks as a teacher: 1)convincing my students to SLOW DOWN and
2) convincing them to be precise in practicing new movements, and 3) convincing them they will not commit a movement to body memory by practicing it half a dozen times or so.

Did you ever get them to listen? Did you threaten to beat them with your assaya? I'm forever nagging my students about those exact things and i think they just think i enjoy nagging.

HOWEVER... you can try adding sour cream if you think that will help:).
:lol:

Jane

Suzanna Del Vecchio recommends you "Move as if the air were thick."

Mind-muscle connection built up with practice
Core stability
Isometric contraction ability
Overall strength

Fast moves have the same integrity and principals as slow moves. This is what makes a dance look clean as opposed to mushy.

Farasha Hanem

Did you ever get them to listen? Did you threaten to beat them with your assaya? I'm forever nagging my students about those exact things and i think they just think i enjoy nagging.

I seem to have just the opposite problem. In class, I'm wanting to move more slowly and serpentine-like, but everyone makes me look like the tortoise of the class. :confused:

Shanazel

Some of them pay attention for as long as three minutes at a time. ;)

AngelaJP

I just got this Mystic Belly Dance dvd by Neena and Veena twins (this is the best of the videos I have of them, I don't like the others that much) and the movements are really very slow I think I got a little bit impatient and bored, hahaha! But it sure helps me correct my movements. Yasmine, Kashmir, Shannie and Jane, I will keep those tips in mind when I do slow moves next.

In the video, the turns made me dizzy no matter how much I spotted! :mad:

Samira bint Aya

Personally, I find that the best instruction for slow movements often comes from tribal belly dancers. They place a lot of emphasis on precision and muscular control.

For me the greatest challenge when it comes to slow and sensual is to stay connected to the music. When I manage to follow the music and flow slowly, I feel light as a feather! At times like these, I’ve been told that my movements produce a hypnotic effect..

So for me the key is to have the patience to allow the music to guide me. That is a little challenging for me because it takes a bit of confidence in yourself and your presence to allow yourself to do little...

AngelaJP

I don't like them at all......... Try Sensual Bellydance by Blanca

I know what you mean. I wish they offered more in their videos, they seem too short, and most of the time, boring. Hope I can find that Blanca video here. Thanks, Jen! :)

AngelaJP

I use Ocaen State Media. Their prices are very reasonabe, they have this in stock. They do ship to New Zealand, price calculated at checkout OceanStateMedia.com - Dance Instruction - Action Sports - Fitness & Excercise, Self Help

Yes, Jen, you're right, they're affordable! Thank you!:D I have saved the site to my favorites so I could refer to them a couple of months later. Already have 5 new belly dance dvd's now, hehe. Also got the 3 Jillina dvd's and Hillary Thacker's intermediate which had good reviews at shira.net. My darling partner asked me to rest from buying belly dance dvd's for now, haha!

Farasha Hanem

Personally, I find that the best instruction for slow movements often comes from tribal belly dancers. They place a lot of emphasis on precision and muscular control.

I agree. I now own three instructional DVD's on Tribal Fusion, and absolutely love them. The slow, serpentine movements are so much fun to do!