Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marya View Post
    Aisha,

I love your workshops they are always worthwhile and I was so happy dancers came from the Tri-cities to participate. I would love to have you back again, but there just aren't enough dancers here to get enough students.

I am looking forward to your show in March. I guess I better start practicing.

Marya

Dear Marya,
    Thank you so much!! You know I LOVE to teach more than anything! I am also looking forward to March and the cogs in my head are already turning as to how to present, etc. I am looking forward to your dance offerings! I should at least get the First Night show planned but March is just too intriguing to wait on. (For those of you who are not Marya, March is when Baharat!! Dance Company (Barharat!!) holds its semi-annual Layali Tarab dance event. The other happens in October.)

Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't realised you were actually in the UK. yes even in our little nation, you have to get to bigger population areas to gather together enough of a community. Out of 20 or so students who start the beginning a a course you 'll be lucky to hang onto half a dozen. They all get obsessed and they move onto something else, something is on the telly..dear me everytime there was a Liverpool or Everton mtach I would lose 6 regulars in one class. Husbands aren't supportive, mates take the proverbial. It takes time to build up a large enough following. I belong to a troupe of 4, a troupe of 15 from all over the region and we were a company of 30 from the North. And our audience: friends, family, a few fellow dancers and a couple of intrigued. I suppose that's lucky. You can pack 130 into ahafla because they've all coemt to dance and eat but getting them to a show..that take some doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Our local class folded after a couple of years - just not enough of us. Fortunately it continues down in the Big City () and several people are keen enough to travel in from outlying towns, and things have built enough to support an intermediate level class now (YAY!). As Lizaj says, it takes time and lots of incoming beginners to build up a community of people with a more serious commitment.

(still trying to work out what would have to be on telly for me to miss class.... ).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12