Thought-provoking belly dance costumes (TPBDC) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanazel

A site called Safticraft (http://www.safticraft.com/proddetail.asp?prod=e045) has some interesting costumes. What do you think of the following?

Aniseteph

I think the first one would be much better with a "normal" belt - don't like the pseudothong thing but it does need something more than beaded skirt to balance the bra.

I quite like the second one but lose the checkerboard fringe. Fine on the bra but too "ooh look, coordinated!" on the skirt - draws atttention from the beading on the bra and belt, IMO.

Not keen on the dress - there's a sort of OMG I caught my dress on a nail and now you can see my undies thing about it.

Some other nice ones on that site though... :D

Shanazel

If the thong-thingie on the first costume above was turned into a regular belt, it would be an almost perfect costume. It is so rich and lush.
Tatiana just sold this one in the marketing section. I love it. I wondered at first if it might not be too pale, but in retrospect, imagine it lit up against a dark background.

Last edited:

Phoebedances

I really love the ones on the safticraft post. The dark brown one is very, very rich, and I think the cut of the 'belt' on the skirt would really emphesize a nice waist! Plus the way it comes up would be good for a dancer who maybe had a few stretch marks right in the middle of their lower abs and keep them from having to wear a body stocking.

The yellow one is gorgeous, though that color might be hard for alot of dancers to wear. I actually like the checkerboard fringe as it adds to the playfulness of it. The floral motif is subtly done and the colors were picked well. The very same costume could be hideous if the person making it had a less acute sense of color.

I WANT a dress like the last one!!!! It is so dramatically different and I think figure 8's and undulations would look superb when done it it.

Tatiana's costume - the pinkish purple would be GORGEOUS on a dark stage or in a dimly lit restaurant. I can imagine one of the BDSS wearing something like it.

I'm in such a costume making mood now!

Salome

Administrator
The Latin ballroom inspired dress is hot! I don't know if I have the kind of figure that would suit a cut like that. But I'd like to try!

Shanazel

You are being modest, Salome. I suspect you'd look gorgeous in a burlap bedlah trimmed in baling twine. I wonder how well the Latin style would stay in place while dancing.

Phoebedances

I think you would look amazing in something like that, Salome!

The way that the fabric is attached I think it would stay in place fairly well, actually, and a tiny bit of a drape to it would be a bit pretty too, though, sort of Art Nouvea inspired.

Sita

Wondered what you thought of these flamenco styled belly dance costumes?

I think its lovely but do you think it's appropriate for all types of belly dance or does it only have limited appeal/suitabilty?

This one I don't like interestingly though it appears to have sold out!

Sita

Last edited:

Aniseteph

I like those tops, think they are nice for feeling a bit glam in class, but the skirt would be OTT for me. The full on "flamenco gypsy" look doesn't say belly dance to me.

Though I do like the big skirts and would love an excuse to get a really huge swishy one to play with!

Shanazel

I love swishy skirts, too, and I am torn between my fondness for the drama of flamenco fusion costumes and my deep-seated belief that they are not for traditional AmCAb.

Sidebar re: full skirts: I am always the only legal assistant at court dressed in a full-tiered skirt as opposed to a suit, but so far no one has thrown me out of the courtroom. Suits make me look like someone upholstered me.:rolleyes:

jenc

lol! As a fellow suit hater (no shouders, big belly) who always looks as though my suits are converted from potato sacks, I empathise

Phoebedances

I think its lovely but do you think it's appropriate for all types of belly dance or does it only have limited appeal/suitabilty?

Sita

I think they would be lovely for Spanish/Gypsy/Flamenco BD Fusion numbers or Spanish Tribal fusion but I don't think for a strictly BD number they would work. Very lovely ideas for those costumes though.

Farasha Hanem

I think they would be lovely for Spanish/Gypsy/Flamenco BD Fusion numbers or Spanish Tribal fusion but I don't think for a strictly BD number they would work. Very lovely ideas for those costumes though.

I definitely agree with Phoebe. It wouldn't work as a standard bellydance costume, but it would POSITIVELY work for one choreo number we do in class! *starts drooling over the first costume*

Reen.Blom

Sita

I dont like the floral design on the top one, but if it was substituted with like silver fabric i would wear it, the red one looks like my dream costume though..... LOL But never mind some of my favourites were already featured in the Ugly thread....LOL Maybe I just like the 'different' look

Why not experiment? After all bedlah ( that is supposedly 'speaks bellydance' was invented by hollywood people any way.... skimpy harem girl outfit also 'speaks bellydance' to most people i know.... so why stick to bellydance 'uniform'? After all every one of us has their own do's and donts in what we wear. I dont have a problem with non standard look as long as it is not vulgar. :):):)

Amulya

I like those skirts, except for the flowery fabric. I think they do work in combination with the right bedlah, but they need a skirt underneath. I don't like the look of pants under the red skirt.
I have pictures from belly dancers in Egypt in the 60s and they had such skirts, only they also had splits in the skirts (costumes were far more skimpy back then it seemed)

Status
Not open for further replies.