How fit are you?

lizaj

Actually I'm not interested in your heart rate but I wonder how many teachers have seen a real slip towards the "I wanna use bellydance to get fit" and away from the "fun way to kick off the cares of the day".
Yes I know we have the "reclaiming the dance along with goddesses" .
And yes "I wanna dance for my sultan" is still there morphed into "I'm a a naughty and very sexy little liberated gal"
I found the last intake all came in jazz pants and trackies and despite being told that they could add a bit of fun glitter, it hasn't gone any further than a hip scarf.
me I don't mind..I can see what their feet and legs are doing. But I really don't mid people having fun honest I don't!:D

Shanazel

I've always had at least a couple of students in each class who say they took the class because they heard it was a great workout. Sometimes they stay because they fall in love with the dance, sometimes they go on to to the next "great workout" sensation, be it sitting on giant rubber balls or using steps. I don't think the latter group is anymore numerous now than it ever has been, at least in my patch of prairie grass.

Aniseteph

I found the last intake all came in jazz pants and trackies and despite being told that they could add a bit of fun glitter, it hasn't gone any further than a hip scarf.

When I started going to classes it was weeks before we even got brave enough to tie something round our hips. :rolleyes: British reserve and herd mentality I suppose.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
me I'm not fit, just love to dance! Mind you I am probably am more fit than I was before starting to dance, but it wasn't really my main aim, I wanted an outlet, and i sure found it! So I have no idea what my heart rate or anything else when it comes to the fitness world.

Even if I knew and there was a need to improve my fitness, i wouldn't... I HATE anything to do with gyms and sport!
~Mosaic

Jane

Two of my classes I teach at a gym, but I teach it as a dance class. They come for the fitness and end up staying for the art. "Bellyrobics" would bore me to tears.

I'm pretty fit, but not as fit as I used to be. It's an unfair comparison; twenty years ago I was 17 and in the military working out 3 hrs a day 5-7 days a week on average.

Now I'm 135 lbs instead of my ideal 115 at 5'3". It's all between the belly button and the knees. I can hike mountains and dance for hours straight- I'm doing okay. :dance:

Kashmir

Actually I'm not interested in your heart rate but I wonder how many teachers have seen a real slip towards the "I wanna use bellydance to get fit" and away from the "fun way to kick off the cares of the day".
<snip>
I found the last intake all came in jazz pants and trackies and despite being told that they could add a bit of fun glitter, it hasn't gone any further than a hip scarf. me I don't mind..I can see what their feet and legs are doing. But I really don't mid people having fun honest I don't!:D
Actually I encourage my students to have fun as dancers - as such no need to dress up - just use that body. Jazz pants and trackies are standard wear! People still have fun - honest.

Shanazel

What are trackies?

I thought of this thread yesterday when someone approached me to find out if I taught "the true energy of belly dance." Turns out she wanted a belly dance class that concentrates on meditation and expanding conciousness. I told her I was not the teacher for her and sent her on to my friend who teaches meditation as well as belly dance, though I'm not sure she does both in the same class.

People come to dance classes for a lot of reasons.

lizaj

What are trackies?

I thought of this thread yesterday when someone approached me to find out if I taught "the true energy of belly dance." Turns out she wanted a belly dance class that concentrates on meditation and expanding conciousness. I told her I was not the teacher for her and sent her on to my friend who teaches meditation as well as belly dance, though I'm not sure she does both in the same class.

People come to dance classes for a lot of reasons.

Scouse for tracksuit bottoms! Sorry forgot to translate.:)
yes I know we have diff. motives. It's just I notice the majority are saying different things.

Tikvah

My current teacher/troupe leader is really big on bellydance aerobics....while I'm decently fit despite my size 18 body, she kicks my butt every time. Something about drilling really fast for extended periods of time just makes my muscles scream (but my brain die of boredom).

AngelaJP

I love belly dance. To learn the moves correctly so that I can dance well with emotion to the music, hopefully in the near future, hehe. I also like the drilling for extended periods and actually like the pain that comes with it, same as with my sports. I wonder why I'm like this :confused:

Moon

I don't consider myself fit. I'm healthy, but I have quite bad stamina. I never run except when I have to catch a bus. I ride my bike rather slowly, especially in cold weather cause then I get trouble breathing.
However I can keep up with a 6 hour bellydance class. When I go out I can also dance for hours. I don't really know why, maybe because dancing is fun?

jenc

This is eally weird. I have to pant, cos I get breathless doing any sort of exercise not to music - even running fast. BUT I can sing whilst doing aerobics to music. SOOOOOOOO all my exercise is BD

AngelaJP

Just imagine forcing yourself to do something you really don't have the heart and joy for, ewwww... :(

I believe that if one truly enjoys the activity, it's going to be much less tiresome and even if you begin feeling tired, you'd still want for more. For me, music does play a big part like in belly dancing or just dancing on the dance floor :dance: until the wee hours of the morning.