Greetin' From Colorado!

Wool

Hello! I though to introduce myself to the forum by posting here, I figure it the proper thing to do seeing others new to the forums have done it.
I'm extremely new to Bellydancing, and had just finished wrapping up my beginner class but grew fast addicted to the art form. I have always been rather sickly, and was never able to do a full on work out without running risk of throwing into an asthma attack or seizure. So being introduced to Bellydancing has really saved me as far as pulling up a bit of confidence to get up and go again.

I am very interested in costuming and designing for the Art form rather then preforming in front of people (stage fright!), as it's more of a very enjoyable hobby at this point. I was unable to dive directly into the advanced classes with my Teacher, which was rather disappointing. And am now currently on the eye out for a new instructor.

However I do hope to learn a lot from you all, and be able to see and share experiences of this beautiful style of expression. From what I read on the forums (I was a lurker for a few days before creating an account.) each person here seems wonderfully nice and very talented, can't wait to experience more with you all!

~Wool.

teela

Welcome wool. I used to live in Colorado several years ago and that is where I started learning to belly dance. If you are new, why try to dive into the advanced? Take your time and really learn the moves so they are instinctive. Even after several years, I still take time to work on my moves to keep my foundation solid and so I don't get sloppy.
Enjoy

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum Wool, Bellydancing is a fun way to build confidence, and I would think by learning how to lift and open the chest area, you will help your breathing as well.

Sounds like you are a seamstress as well, I wish I was, I just don't have the patience to sew, other than mend this or that when necessary:D

Nice to have you join us
~Mosaic

Wool

Welcome wool. I used to live in Colorado several years ago and that is where I started learning to belly dance. If you are new, why try to dive into the advanced? Take your time and really learn the moves so they are instinctive. Even after several years, I still take time to work on my moves to keep my foundation solid and so I don't get sloppy.
Enjoy

Ah thank you!
Yeah, as beautiful as Colorado is it seems that BellyDancing has really yet to hit home here. Advanced classes sound excellent, challenging and a bit intimidating to say the least actually. But you're likely right, it'd be a good idea to take up the next step. How many years have you danced? I still get blown away when I hear 3 years+ from some. Just goes to show how wonderful the art is for people to stick to it for so long. :)

Welcome to the forum Wool, Bellydancing is a fun way to build confidence, and I would think by learning how to lift and open the chest area, you will help your breathing as well.

Sounds like you are a seamstress as well, I wish I was, I just don't have the patience to sew, other than mend this or that when necessary:D

Nice to have you join us
~Mosaic
Thank you for the welcome!

That is one thing I lack severely in is the chest movements, I was never able to get it down quite right and still struggle. But your absolutely right, making the chest muscles relax and become stronger would likely help with my breathing. As for being a seamstress? I wouldn't go that far yet, I mostly alter things I find, make tassels and have just started to learn metal work for belts. But have yet to tackle a challenge of full on garb from scratch. Hah.

Welcome Wool - what a cool forum name! (or is it a nice warm cosy name? :think:)

Thank you! Just a modest name for a normal gal I guess. :D

teela

Wool, I've been dancing about ohhhh 8 years or so. I love it and I"m the only belly dancer in my area so I'm alone alot. I get lessons in the summer and through the occasional workshop. Mostly I use DVD's due to where I am.

zahra

Welcome to the forum Wool .

Best of luck with your advanced classes. Check for seminars in your area too.

Glad that you have found Middle Eastern dance healing,
it is wonderful you have found an exercise form that you can enjoy.

For costumes, I always loved the fully hand beaded designs the best.

There are new and innovative designs now,
check dahlal.com site for some interesting designs.

Have a great dance journey!

I started in college 1976, still dancing in 2008 :D

Last edited:

Wool

Wool, I've been dancing about ohhhh 8 years or so. I love it and I"m the only belly dancer in my area so I'm alone alot. I get lessons in the summer and through the occasional workshop. Mostly I use DVD's due to where I am.

Eight years? And all on your own! Gosh, now that's amazing right here. You really must be driven to be able to dance for so long alone, hopefully you'll be able to find others. Ever try looking for a troupe in your area?

Wool

Welcome to the forum Wool .

Best of luck with your advanced classes. Check for seminars in your area too.

Glad that you have found Middle Eastern dance healing,
it is wonderful you have found an exercise form that you can enjoy.

For costumes, I always loved the fully hand beaded designs the best.

There are new and innovative designs now,
check dahlal.com site for some interesting designs.

Have a great dance journey!

I started in college 1976, still dancing in 2008 :D

Thank you for what warming welcome! I think my second favorite aspect about dancing is the costuming, I'm learning how to crochet and knit to design belts and vests. A bit of warmer gear for dancing in the colder months up here.

Now as for dancing experience, wow! That's quite a bit, the first I've run into actually. I'm so excited to get further into the culture of dancing, and hearing stories and those who have stuck to it for so long only encourage me. Thank you for sharing :D

teela

Wool, I spend 9 months a year in the bush of Alaska. The closest troupe is in Anchorage and that is 2 to 3 hours by air each way. There is also no way I can get their except by flying so I am on my own. I go to Anchorage and Fairbanks so I can attend workshops about twice a year.

Last edited: