What is the Debate forum about?

Salome

Administrator
Greetings all,

Sometimes a discussion where people are peacefully exchanging ideas, information, and points of view turns into a debate. Participants seem to bring in many topics to support or invalidate their opponent’s position. And as a result we have threads that end up with many different topics going simultaneously.

We’d like to keep all the forums on topic. But these debate type threads do occur and we decided to give them their own space. So in the debate forum, unlike the other forums, posters can allow the debate to take its course and it does not have to stay in exact alignment with the original topic. Other rules still apply, it needs to be related to the dance and folks need to maintain a civil manner, no abusive posts allowed. TribalDancer is the moderator for this forum, you may contact her, or me, if you have questions, concerns or comments.

Last edited:

Kiraze

Oh, as a Finnish dancer I could now start a heated debate about the name of this discussion area "The Sauna" :D

*Sauna* is a Finnish thing and a word that should not be combined with English articles and sauna is also a sacred place were heated debates are strictly forbidden :p

Finnish commandment: There is no other Sauna than Finnish Sauna and you shall have no other saunas before that ;)

Michelle

okay, there is a whole heck of a lot of stuff that would qualify as debate.....
I am not a moderator of any of the forums with this going on, but just so I am straight, we are going to move these 'discussions' to this forum?

Salome

Administrator
Hi Michelle,

that's the idea. When a discussion turns into a heated debate to move it here and allow it to go where it will.

Gabi

seems pretty tame to me so far !!!
come on guys lets get arguing !

I know - now that we have a forum we tucker out *whine*

Come on guys - I need a Personality Coach ;)

Oh - and while I'm at it - how come hardly anyone is having fun with the reputation feature - as long as it's used for fun as well as serious kudos i.e., kid's sand box, "your mother wear combat boots to Belly Dance *snork*) it can be a lot of fun

Last edited by a moderator:

Salome

Administrator
Hi everyone

I apologize because I don’t think my explanation was very clear. We do not want to encourage debate, LOL. Only threads that get heated and start swerving in slightly or largely different directions from the original topic in our other forums will be moved here where they can be debated out and run their natural course.

gisela

Super Moderator
Anything.

Just think about it a lot before starting a thread that could be potentially offending. I don't mean to say that you shouldn't do it. Just consider what you would get out of it, and choose your words carefully. Most of the discussions that have turned nasty have done so because of misinterpretations and the "wrong" words being used.

Mostly everyone can recognize an honest question though.

Anything.

Just think about it a lot before starting a thread that could be potentially offending. I don't mean to say that you shouldn't do it. Just consider what you would get out of it, and choose your words carefully. Most of the discussions that have turned nasty have done so because of misinterpretations and the "wrong" words being used.

Mostly everyone can recognize an honest question though.

Okay. I will keep that in mind.