Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind a little chatter at appropriate times like when they first come in or get ready to leave, while I fiddle with music, during water break, etc.

When I need to break up the chatter I either raise my voice and tell them "It's time to get back to work ladies!", or we start dancing to make them think and move instead of talk. As a last resort I turn the music way up and down quickly and then look at the offenders. I've only had to do that twice!

I have special designated and trained volunteer teacher assistants in my mixed level classes. They are students who have been in the class or danced for more than three years that I have spent time outside of regular class teaching how to teach. They are paired up with a new person to make them feel welcome and answer general questions. They also sub for me when I need them.

I used to pay another BD teacher to sub for me, but she didn't know the class and what was going on. She also used it as an opportunity to advertise her own class. While I encourage my students to learn from other qualified teachers, I'm not paying her my money to self promote on my time.

If my students are late and miss warm up or stretch, I tell them to do it on their own in the back of the room.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the advice. I got lucky last week, and none of them showed up! Since I don't teach in Dec, I am thinking maybe they all moved on--someone overheard them talking about taking a hip hop class.

But I have been practicing to myself all the suggestions so next time I will be ready, and have a few options to fit the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gia al Qamar View Post
    I hand to every student a pre-printed postcards with my class policies. It's their responsibility to read them. It's Gia

I would love to see what you have on your postcards!! Please share!

Thank you, everyone, again!

Post Thanks / Like

Welll, in my class nothing like this ever happened. We had one girl who would misbehave sometimes, but she was 8 years old. People who come to my dance class are all over 15 at least. we have only one girl at the age of 15, the rest is older than me, I am 21. So people who come to my class know what for they come, and they all want to learn, that's why they all are quiet and do all according to the teacher's instructions. We all have no time to lose. And I think that's how grown-ups should do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12