Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am thinking..

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am thinking..

Have any one of the belly dance instructors here ever thought of distance learning via webcam as a form to teach classes.

i was brainstorming with a friend, who is also interested in pursuing belly dance seriously. it is economically prohibitive to travel often for professional level classes outside of home..so we were thinking why not take advantage of the world wide web..
    i mean web cams and computers are relatively cheap and it could be done in real time...

has this ever been tried before? would you as instructors contemplate doing that?

Post Thanks / Like

I know a tribal dancer in western WY whose partner lives in Utah. They practice via webcam and that works well for them.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't imagine that. Webcam never can replace a live teacher. As about me, except of not being particularly fond of the idea, I definitely have no time for such a kind of teaching and If I would take the time, I would have to charge quite high fee. This is like giving private classes and private classes are expensive, so I'm not sure if at the end it would be more reasonable for the student than visiting a workshop with her favorite instructor in the nearest possible country (or organizing a workshop in her own country).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kayshier View Post
    Have any one of the belly dance instructors here ever thought of distance learning via webcam as a form to teach classes.

i was brainstorming with a friend, who is also interested in pursuing belly dance seriously. it is economically prohibitive to travel often for professional level classes outside of home..so we were thinking why not take advantage of the world wide web..
    i mean web cams and computers are relatively cheap and it could be done in real time...

has this ever been tried before? would you as instructors contemplate doing that?
    Apparently Ansuya is doing a similar thing now - she just released her first class, but it's recorded, not two-way.

I would rather have a two-way class with a good teacher, than a recorded class with a famous teacher, but that's because I'm always looking for feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Feedback......... You want feedback!!! That'll be the day. I guess I am doing Ok cos I never get told I'm not!!!

Post Thanks / Like

For teaching classes nope, but we had a rehearshal and our dear friend Petros (Azouz) was at Cairo watching it lol
    And yes it had a delay in sound and image, so it wont work for good.

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if it would work either. Setting the thing up would be rather complicated and expensive, so I am not sure there would be the benefit from the cost-side. And I am not sure the quality of video streaming is good enough for that purpose.

I'd rather suggest making the effort and seeing a teacher in real life for a private class. I know it can be costly, but you can take the classes with a suitable interval and work on the material in between. And, if that is not enough, then get DVDs as an addition.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - I understand your points and thanks for your contributions as i remember we had mentioned this in another workshop thread once where someone was doing work on gestures.
    The problem is that our exchange rate is 6TTD:1 USD - the price for us to travel alone is absurd - if i book a ticket right now it will cost me $1400 US to go study with A'isha - that's upwards of $8000 TT - and then we have to consider accomodation and tuition costs. Perhaps there are more reliable teachers closer to you guys so it works out to travel - but it's not quite that easy for us.

Post Thanks / Like

exactly Mya.

It works out to be much more expensive for us to travel on a consistent basis.
    Apart from the fact that it will take way too much time off of my regular job.
    it's all well and good to go for intensive workshops but the kind of teaching, correction and feedback we might want as students we may not get.
    besides for me, I wouldn't mind paying for a private class if it means i get the quality tuition i want.
    and I have DVD's that i use all the time now, and i pracitce in front of the mirror...but after a while it does not seem enough.

thing is in trinidad we will have to look north to the US..since spanish is not our first language here, there is the barrier with going to workshops in latin and south america (i myself know some conversational spanish, but not enough to understand in a class)

I think it might well be worth consideration, because its like a teleconferencing..maybe the feedback doesn't have to be live, maybe it could be that recorded sessions are analysed (but nothing beats a live class to me)
    Last edited by kayshier; 11-25-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it could easily work. It's no use to you as I am not a teacher alas. The only difference will be obviously that you still miss the ability for touch, but that's not a big part of a lesson. And technology now means that it wouldn't be a big deal to set up. You could even just skype and use a built in web cam. Better facilities would be better but there isn't so much of a technology cost barriers to this kind of stuff now. Of course it would need to be on the same basis as a private lesson but people do those. Maybe someone will spot that gap...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast