Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am thinking..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes, this is an old thread. But it's relevant!

I've considered distance learning for some time now - but not like... weekly lessons. This was my plan.

I would send the instructor a video clip of a single dance so they can assess what I've already learned and then they could determine my skill level because I have already been self-studying. He or she then could: Video tape advice on what to practice next, what mistakes I am making and/or give a written critique with suggestions on instructional DVD's that would help me, books to read, new moves to drill and tackle next.

Every month I would send another video of a single dance and the instructor would, in exchange, send another set of critiques and advice etc.

I think a month of following the instructors advice, drilling, drilling, drilling new moves, and practicing the new moves in the dance on my own, with an occasional critique from the instructor would be my personal best option. I learn better by doing, reading, doing, studying, doing, reading, studying, doing. Dance, like other areas of learning, should be tailored to the student's best ability to learn (in a perfect world, anyhow).

Finding an instructor willing to do such lessons at all and for less than a hundred bucks... well... ha!

If any of you know of a teacher that may be willing to teach this way, I'd greatly appreciate knowing who.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I think it is a great idea. Although because of inconsistencies in internet connection, connection speeds, webcam quality I do see some issues with live one on one instruction via webcam. I think the idea is great, but the whole internet thing may make it frusterating.

I do think that the sending in a video to an instructor, having them critique and giving you exercises, drills, areas to work on and improve is a great idea. One on one critique is (IMO) essential to improving. We don't always see/feel our movements clearly so it can be hard to be objective with ourselves. Friends don't want to hurt your feelings so they can sometimes glaze over areas that need improving.

Back when I was showing my horse as a junior there were no upper level instructors near where I lived so once a month my mom would trailer my horse and I 2 hours from here for a private lesson and then film it. That way I could watch the lesson after and see for myself what the instructor was looking for. Also my mom learned what to look for and now she is always there to shout across the yard at me when I am dropping my inside shoulder and opening my fingers LOL.

My mom is my critic, she never minces words and always tells me like it is, and it helps a lot.

As an instructor I would certainly be willing to/interested reviewing videos of dancers. The only thing I wouldn't like about it is that I am "hands on" when I teach, I like to help a dancer to feel the movement or correct posture and you wouldnt' be able to do that. You would have to explain it via words only which would be harder and maybe leave room for misinterpretation. But if budget is a concern and you're in a isolated area I think it is worth the chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissVega View Post
    You know, I think it is a great idea. Although because of inconsistencies in internet connection, connection speeds, webcam quality I do see some issues with live one on one instruction via webcam. I think the idea is great, but the whole internet thing may make it frusterating.

I do think that the sending in a video to an instructor, having them critique and giving you exercises, drills, areas to work on and improve is a great idea. One on one critique is (IMO) essential to improving. We don't always see/feel our movements clearly so it can be hard to be objective with ourselves. Friends don't want to hurt your feelings so they can sometimes glaze over areas that need improving.

Back when I was showing my horse as a junior there were no upper level instructors near where I lived so once a month my mom would trailer my horse and I 2 hours from here for a private lesson and then film it. That way I could watch the lesson after and see for myself what the instructor was looking for. Also my mom learned what to look for and now she is always there to shout across the yard at me when I am dropping my inside shoulder and opening my fingers LOL.

My mom is my critic, she never minces words and always tells me like it is, and it helps a lot.

As an instructor I would certainly be willing to/interested reviewing videos of dancers. The only thing I wouldn't like about it is that I am "hands on" when I teach, I like to help a dancer to feel the movement or correct posture and you wouldnt' be able to do that. You would have to explain it via words only which would be harder and maybe leave room for misinterpretation. But if budget is a concern and you're in a isolated area I think it is worth the chance.
    Bolding mine. That is indeed a concern. My immediate area has a population of about 900... and the nearest city has a populace of only 7,000. Bellydance here is something I think would do very well... if there was someone to teach it. There isn't. I have three children and sadly, I don't make enough money off my writing to sustain a living. My husband works and makes decent money, but coming up with the extra cash for lessons and the money to drive upstate to Hurricane every week just isn't in my budget. My husband told me if I could find an alternative that was less than a hundred bucks per month (we're trying to move closer to his work as well... right now he's only home on the weekends so this is extra beyond saving for the move) and more helpful than scouring the bargain DVD racks, that he'd help me find a way to do it, so I've been wracking my brain.

Miss Vega, I've seen a few of your videos and you're a lovely dancer. If you'd be willing to critique and review, let me know and we'll talk it out and come up with a plan we are both comfortable with. I am eager to learn beyond the basics - I'm hunting up DVDs and scrounging through used book shops online to see what I can find. But having someone review and tell me what I'm doing wrong would be invaluable, I think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12