Any tips for stage managing a show?

Tikvah

Due to a spinal fracture, I can't dance in my troupe's show. So I'll be playing stage manager for my first time ever. Any tips or advice from folks who have helped out in this capacity?

teela

quick list
1. Make sure you know which side of the stage they are entering from.
2. Are they leaving anything on the stage that you need to pick up
3. Watch out for beads, etc that come loose and end up on stage. (sweep up during intermission)
4. Make sure the sound and lighting person have information on each dancer such as Which side do they enter from, do the lights come on as they enter, after they enter, before, etc.
5. Any costume changes and do they need help?
6. Does anyone have a medical issue such as low blood sugar that you need to be aware of?
7. Have the line up in front of you and posted on both sides of the stage so dancers can check as they need to.
8. Be aware of any steps, cracks, etc dancers need to be aware of when they go on or off stage or while on stage.
9 Is there an edge to the stage they could fall off if they don't have glasses on. (christmas lights along the edge can help if its needed)
10. Make sure the next act is ready to go while the current one is on.
11. Keep the backstage areas clear of debris so no one trips on anything.

This is just off the top of my head. I hope it helps.

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

Tikvah,

First, I hope you recover quickly! Second, being a "techie" is almost harder than dancing, for you have to move around during the entire show. Please check in with your doctor and *take care of yourself* during the show! I promise, it will go on . . .

That said, Teela gave you a good list. One could easily write a book on this! The only things I would add are:

1. Check your venue for dancer-friendliness. A stage I recently worked had wonderful wings -- but, they were supported by metal posts and plates that had sharp edges -- very bad for bare feet.
2. Have extra blank paper, scotch tape, pens (you may need to make signs), duct tape (to cover cords and sharp edges), "sharpie" (permanent) markers, etc. handy.
3. Are you manning the dressing rooms? If so, kleenex, band aids, safety pins, a mirror, and a trash can are essential. Water and cookies (again, for low blood sugar) can also help your performers.
4. Will the show be videotaped? Are you handling that, too? If so, check your lighting ahead of time, and advise your dancers how to stay in the frame of the camera and in the light. I can offer even more advice on this (from the school of hard knocks) if you need it.
5. If you are in charge of music, get it from the dancers before the show.
6. A "dancer's meeting" will go a LOOOOONG way toward a better performance, as you can cover pointers about music, entrances, lighting, etc. with them.
7. If you have extra costume parts for your troupe, bring them. You never know when you might need them.

Best wishes, let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Anala

lizaj

Keep an eye on props . Are they where they should be?
Difficult to be in charge of dressing rooms as well as stage area. Have a runner if you can. I ran between the front of house gal and the dressing rooms when we had our show as well as performing. Luckily although the stage manager wasn't always there for us at times, we had a brilliant and quick thinking cast. I don't think our gal knew what she was taking on. Make sure you do.
Yes it's a much harder job. the performer has a reponsibility to dance as well as they can, be ready and in the right place. You are looking after them all and the stage and the props etc etc! Good Luck!:cool:

Tikvah

Thankfully I don't have to deal with music or lighting, and we're all required to have various things in our "bins" like safety pins, deodorant, bandaids, and whatnot. I'm hoping that this won't be too crazy because there are only two troupes performing (and the other troupe is only doing one piece). That being said, the troupe is HUGE! Like 40 or more people including our teen and kid divisions....so this might be like being stage manager for the BDSS, except that about 30 of the 40 have never performed before!

My troupe has been fabulous since I got the notice to stop dancing for now :) They're bummed that I won't be performing, but they almost seem more excited to have me stage manage (because I have a lot of performing experience between dancing and playing in jazz and concert bands in college).

Shanazel

Enlist a dependable assistant stage manager and at least one gofer. Tell each exactly what you expect from them, make sure they understand, then trust them to do their part.

Jane

It's like herding cats. Don't panic if things don't go perfectly. Be prepared to compromise. Have someone willing to do a smooth "filler" at a moments notice if you need extra stall time or there is a problem. Please take good care of yourself and delegate. Best of luck!