I made a post in the appropriate thread earlier...

kayshier

but didn't get responses.
pardon me for being impatient :lol:

anyway, I want to know if anybody has the Masters of Egyptian Choreography dvd series featuring

randa kamel, leila and diana tarkhan.

i am thinking seriously of buying it..(before the end of today provided i get some good answers) and was wondering if it is a good investment to make?

any takers..pleasee before 4pm eastern time..:pray:

Last edited:

candi

well I really love mine-I got them all. I'm not in the slightest bit interested in learning the choreographies but I've learned a lot from them. There is a lot of great technique and ideas you can learn, the interviews are really interesting .The show performances are great especially Randas and made me want to go back to cairo. If you interested in first hand Egyptian style dance then these are a great investment.

Whats might not be so good is some of the quality of the performance tapes when you compare to US DVDs.They have been done live at real shows so sometimes people get in the way -its just like watching a real show in cairo, not a staged DVD performance.I love this because it reminds me of Cairo. Diane Tarkans performance show is archive material and not best quality footage-I found it fascinating and enjoyed her dancing a lot.

All the ladies teach very well and are very clear. Randa's teaching is voiced over and explains what she is doing very well.I've found a lot in these Dvds. I am a devotee of Egyptian style and for me these were spot on and a valuable resource,

kayshier

I have to say i finally got these dvd's on friday, and haven't been able to stop looking.
it's totally fantastic!
I was able to understand a lot more the emotional connection, that is often lauded on this forum as a crucial part of egyptian dance...Leila explains this well, but it takes understanding the song, and using the meaning of the song through hand gestures to communicate with the audience.
i had a eureka moment because this is no different to any dance interpretation, especially modern dance...i suppose because of the language and the culture its sort of esoteric.

have to say though (at the risk of being brow beaten :lol:) that although i like watching randa kamel, she's not one of my favorites, probably her dance style will grow on me.

i have absolutley no regrets purchasing this dvd set,:D:D:D:D plus i got a cd with the music..

Tarik Sultan

I have to say i finally got these dvd's on friday, and haven't been able to stop looking.
it's totally fantastic!
I was able to understand a lot more the emotional connection, that is often lauded on this forum as a crucial part of egyptian dance...Leila explains this well, but it takes understanding the song, and using the meaning of the song through hand gestures to communicate with the audience.

Kind of. That is a part of it. Or should I say an extension of it on the performance level. But to really understand from the cultural perspective, you have to see a non professional who can really dance in a social situation. Then you will understand what makes it Egyptian. The stage just magnifies the cultural qualities. Look at the body language. Look more at the way they are doing the movements, especially Randa. Its not just the movement, but look at how she's doing it and the emotion that is energizing them. Also look at the way that the hands frame the movements, the flourishes etc.

kayshier

Kayshier,

where did you find these DVD's? They sound great.

Marya

I bought them on amazon, but i am sure you can get them from this site

NS Enterprises

Amazon.com: Masters of Egyptian Choreography DVD set, Volumes 1 ~ 3, including Companion Cd: Movies & TV

they are sold as the 3 dvd set with an accompanying cd with the music, or individually.

each dvd, is comprised of a choreography that is taught by the dancers in detail, (well for Diana Tarkhan she teaches 2)followed by an interview which gives a good idea of what makes each of these dancers tick as it were.

then we get videos of their live performances. the footage isn't all that great because you see people etc etc, but still VERY entertaining.
as i said before i have no regrets purchasing this set. it cost me 113 us(purchase +shipping).

Last edited:

Marya

I bought them on amazon, but i am sure you can get them from this site

NS Enterprises

Amazon.com: Masters of Egyptian Choreography DVD set, Volumes 1 ~ 3, including Companion Cd: Movies & TV

they are sold as the 3 dvd set with an accompanying cd with the music, or individually.

each dvd, is comprised of a choreography that is taught by the dancers in detail, (well for Diana Tarkhan she teaches 2)followed by an interview which gives a good idea of what makes each of these dancers tick as it were.

then we get videos of their live performances. the footage isn't all that great because you see people etc etc, but still VERY entertaining.
as i said before i have no regrets purchasing this set. it cost me 113 us(purchase +shipping).

Thanks for the info.

Marya