Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dominant Side

Post Thanks / Like

Sad Dominant Side

I need a vast amount of help and assistance here, most needed are tips! I'm not sure if it's just with me or if this is normal, but I am struggling with furthering my moves in BD. I am hesitant on starting any further advanced moves because of one thing, one side of my body is less fluid/graceful/powerful then the other.

Do any of you know what I mean? The right side of me seems.. "weaker" (Less reactive.) Doing the glute squeeze exorcises only one cheek really seems to jump, only with weeks of concentrating on the other glute am I able to make it spot-on equal to the jump the other can give. With hip pops, it seems far more dramatic on one side then the other. I asked for outside opinions, they could not see a difference, however as a perfectionist.. I can. And it's driving me nuts! It takes a great deal of concentration to get the same amount of pop in the less dominant glute then the other, as if my brain doesn't even want to communicate with that side of the body.

Serpent arms are slightly less fluid on the other shoulder, when I do my stretches I can bend deep in one and not as deep as the other. The only solution I have so far is tackling the weak points and just attacking them, working them out more then normal and attempting to get it more flexible/strong/smooth. However I am finding it difficult..

Is there something wrong with me? Anyone else struggle with this? Desperate for feed back, I'm worried at this point. Will it inhibit my abilities to Dance? Or when I move to more advanced moves/classes will it be dramatically more noticeable? D:

~Wool

Post Thanks / Like

Take a deep breath, it's going to be OK. Really. It's very common for a person to have a 'stronger side'. You are aware of it, and are developing the weaker side. Problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Take a deep breath, it's going to be OK. Really. It's very common for a person to have a 'stronger side'. You are aware of it, and are developing the weaker side. Problem solved.
    I'm just wondering if there are better techniques to developing and smoothing out the non-dominant side?

Post Thanks / Like

Just practice and more practice

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, practice, practice, practice and practice...and eventually, voila!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Just practice and more practice
    +1

I think most dancers always have this to a certain extent - I'm right hipped, but left shouldered if that makes any sense!

Post Thanks / Like

I think most people are dominant sided; birds and some animals are too. Usually it is the side of the hand you write with i.e. right handed equals right sided. Of course there are exceptions like those ambidexterous folks! I'm so strongly right side dominant that I naturally do most of my movements on my right side. Now my waist on my right side is visibly smaller The only way to fix it is to do the same moves on each side with equal intensity and range of motion. I don't care too much, I just go with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Relax, you are normal. If you can identify which bits are behind change your dance prep (stretching and strengthening) to work more on the weaker side. For instance, my right hamstring is less flexible than my left so I do twice as many stretches on my right as my left.

Also look at the other 23 hours a day. How do you stand? What arm do you use to pick up the phone? How do you get out of a chair? Start working on your daily non-dance habits and you will get a response in your dance as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think I will ever get over mine.

I am left sided and just get into bad habits. I have not noticed any physical differences or one muscle bigger than the other etc.

When I was a student, we were told we would be deformed and one side with bigger muscles if we didnt balance out properly.

I have been dancing 15 years and do not look like the hunch back of Notre Dame yet.

I dont know anyone who does not get into 'bad habits' when not teaching.

It is a bit like when you learn to drive and you do everything by the book... fast forward a few years?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominant side

Dear Wool,
    In looking at all of the best ethnic dancers belly dancers, they all have a dominant side and they do nothing to correct it because they do not consider it to be a fault as many western dancers do. They go with their strengths!! My advice is that even if you are not doing this or that movement equally on both sides, you are doing other movements that are done with both sides of the body and everything sort of equals out in the end. It is nothing to be concerned about. In my classes, I do have my students practice movements on both sides of the body, really to find out where their strengths are more than to train the body to do everything equally well on both sides.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast