Dominant Side

walladah

Practice more the non-dominant is the only way

Which means, one should work more with the sides that are not worked that much so far.

I write sides, because one might have the right hand as dominant hand and the left foot as dominant foot.

But it is not only for balancing the image of the dance. After some practice, the dancer realises that apart from harmony, what is important is that the non-dominant just waken up side might give another view/quality of a movement. I cannot explain it, but it happens. It is as if same movement with the left hand tell different things than the same movement with the right hand.

Jane

But it is not only for balancing the image of the dance.

Isn't balance in dance a western concept? I still think it's a good idea to train on both sides of the body. However, when I really dance, I don't dance like I train.

Honestly, I don't see any benifit to learning to spin a cane with your off hand. Realistically, why would I ever have to? I'd only be a danger to myself and others. :(

Samira bint Aya

Honestly, I don't see any benifit to learning to spin a cane with your off hand. Realistically, why would I ever have to? I'd only be a danger to myself and others. :(

Because you may want to have the freedom to use either hand during a performance. Being able to use only one can be restricting.
Liza uses both hands to spin the cane, but she uses the right hand most of the time. She gave us a choreo where you had to change the cane-holding hand a couple of times also.

Samira bint Aya

As for making one side of the costume obviously (but tastefully) done, do you happen to have any examples? If not that's alright. Just thought it'd be nice to have a visual once I start getting into designing and crafting my own.

Sorry, I have no pictures to put here. I know that Modamed Gomaa of Cairo designs such costumes (and he has a facebook account where he displays some of his collection). However, he is not the only one, for sure. If a come across a picture with a costume like this I will post it on this thread.

jenc

Isn't balance in dance a western concept? I still think it's a good idea to train on both sides of the body. However, when I really dance, I don't dance like I train.

dancing in a troupe, or duet if you are left handed. I learnt right side and can throw and catch a cane, although I can't manage to catch a ball right handed.

I will probably teach myself leeft hand when I get to solo, but for now it is easier in a classroom space to learn right.

similarly, those whose teachers teach choreo may well find that they are dancing to their teacher's strehgths and not their own natural strengths. however, I feel that working on the OTHER side helps to train your brain into versatility.

Wool

There and Back Again.. hah!

Ah! Finally got my net back! Soo..

Beats me. I'm right handed, but am to a certain extent ambidextrious. I hold my fork in my right hand until I pick up a knife, then the fork's in the left and perfectly comfortable there. Maybe because I played French Horn (which is a left handed instrument) for 25 years, and play piano to this day.
I agree with everyone else, just practice both sides and "go with it". I tend to want to do hipwork on my right side, shoulder stuff with the left - but the years I've been doing this has led to being able to do stuff on either side, I just have to make a concious decision to switch to the "off" side. Spins too - I tend to spin/turn to the left for whatever reason, but can do it to the right if I make that decision. Then there's oumies - I tend to do those to the right. Just no consistancy with *this* body!

Well the randomness does help though! At least you don't have to deal with having your brain set to the same pattern over and over. I imagine that sort of thing would assist greatly with dancing, keeps things new!

Which means, one should work more with the sides that are not worked that much so far.
I write sides, because one might have the right hand as dominant hand and the left foot as dominant foot.
But it is not only for balancing the image of the dance. After some practice, the dancer realises that apart from harmony, what is important is that the non-dominant just waken up side might give another view/quality of a movement. I cannot explain it, but it happens. It is as if same movement with the left hand tell different things than the same movement with the right hand.

So over time the body finally recognizes both sides as dominant during dance? Sounds to me that much needed practice is just in order for this to be done..

Sorry, I have no pictures to put here. I know that Modamed Gomaa of Cairo designs such costumes (and he has a facebook account where he displays some of his collection). However, he is not the only one, for sure. If a come across a picture with a costume like this I will post it on this thread.

That's fine about the pictures! I actually had started to look costumes up shortly after the previous post. Some I do see have a bit more glitz and glam on one side but it's not terribly overwhelming. It's a good technique.

Jane

Because you may want to have the freedom to use either hand during a performance. Being able to use only one can be restricting.
Liza uses both hands to spin the cane, but she uses the right hand most of the time. She gave us a choreo where you had to change the cane-holding hand a couple of times also.

I'll give my left hand a try with the cane sometime. Alone in a room with no breakable objects :lol:

Kashmir

Yes, the two on the left, two on the right is something I don't see much of in dance performed by Middle easterners. Over done I think too much balnce squeezes out the soul.

That said, I still think you should train both sides of your body - so you have a choice on which side you use.

Yousry Sharif introduced me to the idea of using both hands with cane. I loved it. For a few years and my party trick was to do a very fast alternate hand figure eight. I grew out of it :D But I still make my students parctice on both sides - although they perform with just their dominant hand.

Shanazel

I'll give my left hand a try with the cane sometime. Alone in a room with no breakable objects :lol:

I practice assaya with both hands walking up and down my rural road. There is little traffic, no one can see me in the dark, and if I am set upon by dogs, I can use the cane in either hand to shoo them off.

Jane

I practice assaya with both hands walking up and down my rural road. There is little traffic, no one can see me in the dark, and if I am set upon by dogs, I can use the cane in either hand to shoo them off.

That's not a bad idea :lol: I'm more worried about the deer in my neighborhood; the neighborhood dogs are sweeties!

Melanie

Puts my farm animals and wildlife in the shade! 'Sides which, it's so muddy here, I'm bound to keep dropping the stick in it.
I find I always have to reassure new and not so new students that it's perfectly normal to be weaker, less coordinated on one side. Not only that, but the 'handedness' seems to apply for everyone, and with directions too - some people manage forward figure 8s better than reverse and vice versa, some prefer mayas to taxims, and clockwise versus anticlockwise.
If you're doing choreographies, it's good to be able to do everything equally on both sides, but I agree that some of the joy and soul of the dance lies in idiosyncrasies and imperfections.

Eve

I'm definitely left hipped, even though I drill both sides it still has a Dr.Strangelove effect when I'm improvising :)

& I can twirl my little cane with both hands but that has come about through cross training kali. I surprised myself I could still do it.