Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dancing in NYC????

Hi

I've just found myself in New York courtesy of a surprise from my lovely boyfriend so not had time to do any research.

Could anyone point me in the direction of where I can go and see a good dancer and eat some decent vegetarian food in Manhattan?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!

Post Thanks / Like

Venues to try:

Lafayette Grill
    54 Franklin Street between Broadway and Lafayette (Tribeca)
    212-732-5600

TAGINE DINING GALLERY
    537 NINTH AVENUE
    betweeen 39 & 40th Streets
    behind Port Authority
    212-564-7292

Mezzo Mezzo
    31-29 Ditmars Blvd
    Astoria, Queens
    718- 278-0444

Horus Café
    93 Ave. B at 6th St. (Lower East Side)
    212-777-9199

Je'Bon (sushi and noodle house!)
    St. Mark's Place--sometimes
    Last edited by cathy; 11-29-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I dance Fridays and Saturdays at Le Souk. Avenue B between 3rd and 4th. I go on between 10 and 10:30, but there is a lady who dances before me. Ask for a seat either in the lounge near the Dj booth or on the lower level down stairs with a good view of the dance floor. *Call to make reservations*, the earlier the better, especially on a Saturday night: 212-777-5454. If you get there at 9:00 you'll see the dancer before me as well. I forgot their website address, but you should be able to find it on a google search, so you can see the menu. I know they have a good vegetarian couscous.

Post Thanks / Like

You also can check dance event at Sarah Skinner's website Shakemyday New York City Events

Every Sunday at Grisly Pear for teachers and students' show. This place is more like Sports bar in the front, and very small dance space. Mainly for the teacher and students, so not always the best dancers, just check with them who'll perform the place.

Every Wednesday at JeBon with Kaeshi Chai of Bellyqueen and her students and special guest(s) will perform. However, sometimes she held "Tribal night" or "Gothic Belly Dance night" so check her site to who will perform before you go. 15 St. Marks Place. You can check the schedule in Bellyqueen's website Bellyqueen Events and News

Here is Le Souke's web site LeSouk Restaurant

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice everyone, after lurking round in my lunch break at work I figured that you guys were the best people to ask. Think we're going to try and head to Le Souk tonight, we're staying on the lower east side so nice easy walking distance!!

Just a quick question, can we go and see the show but not eat? The other half is wanting to eat a bit earlier, couldn't quite work this out from the website, and is there any kind of dress code? As I didn't do my own packing it turns out I've only got jeans and tops with me and no shoes only smartish looking trainers!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you out with bellydance performances but I can be super jealous!! New York City is my favorite place on Earth!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heather View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone, after lurking round in my lunch break at work I figured that you guys were the best people to ask. Think we're going to try and head to Le Souk tonight, we're staying on the lower east side so nice easy walking distance!!

Just a quick question, can we go and see the show but not eat? The other half is wanting to eat a bit earlier, couldn't quite work this out from the website, and is there any kind of dress code? As I didn't do my own packing it turns out I've only got jeans and tops with me and no shoes only smartish looking trainers!!
    I suppose you could go for drinks. If that doesn't work I can tell you some other places near by. I'll be getting there around 10:00. Another option on the lateish side is you could come back to Jersey City with me. I'll be leaving by 11 or 11:30. The Egyptian cafe in my neighborhood always has a dancer. She goes on 12 or 12:30. That's where I hang out if I don't have a show after work. Its only a 10 min train ride away from World Trade center. I'll give you my number private. Its really fun. Very Egyptian local crowd and the do have food. Humus, baba gunoush, foul sandwiches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heather View Post

Yes. You just can drink. At the door just tell you are going to "Bar" to drink, then you'll be fine. Even you don't need drink at all! Last a couple of times I went there with my friends to see Tarik's performance, we didn't eat at all, and just had drink. I had soda (to save money. LOL) The place is very croud, so even you just walking around the place is fine. No body say anything if you don't eat at all.

No dress code, but most people dressed up anyway. I went there with jeans, so you don't need to wear dress or tie.

PS. Enjoy the Tarik's show. He is great and you'll enjoy it! I promiss for that. ;-)
    Last edited by Pirika Repun; 11-30-2008 at 01:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik Sultan View Post
    I suppose you could go for drinks. If that doesn't work I can tell you some other places near by. I'll be getting there around 10:00. Another option on the lateish side is you could come back to Jersey City with me. I'll be leaving by 11 or 11:30. The Egyptian cafe in my neighborhood always has a dancer. She goes on 12 or 12:30. That's where I hang out if I don't have a show after work. Its only a 10 min train ride away from World Trade center. I'll give you my number private. Its really fun. Very Egyptian local crowd and the do have food. Humus, baba gunoush, foul sandwiches.

Ooh ... and don't forget your earplug.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for all the advice. We ended up eating in the end, got a table about 8pm and then as the restaurant part was quietish kept it and got another bottle of wine waiting for the dancing.

Had a great time, although probably not the best view of the dancing, really nice atmosphere though. If anyone else is looking for somewhere to go and see dancing in New York I'd recommed Le Souk.

Tarik, I enjoyed the show. Thanks for the offer of going back to Jersey with you, it was very kind. Would love to have taken you up on it but didn't see the post until this morning and body clock is still a bit out so don't think would have made it really. I think you should add that cushion t your costume for future performances!!

Thanks again everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast