Dancing in NYC????

heather

Hi

I've just found myself in New York courtesy of a surprise from my lovely boyfriend so not had time to do any research.

Could anyone point me in the direction of where I can go and see a good dancer and eat some decent vegetarian food in Manhattan?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!

cathy

Venues to try:

Lafayette Grill
54 Franklin Street between Broadway and Lafayette (Tribeca)
212-732-5600

TAGINE DINING GALLERY
537 NINTH AVENUE
betweeen 39 & 40th Streets
behind Port Authority
212-564-7292

Mezzo Mezzo
31-29 Ditmars Blvd
Astoria, Queens
718- 278-0444

Horus Café
93 Ave. B at 6th St. (Lower East Side)
212-777-9199

Je'Bon (sushi and noodle house!)
St. Mark's Place--sometimes

Last edited:

Tarik Sultan

I dance Fridays and Saturdays at Le Souk. Avenue B between 3rd and 4th. I go on between 10 and 10:30, but there is a lady who dances before me. Ask for a seat either in the lounge near the Dj booth or on the lower level down stairs with a good view of the dance floor. *Call to make reservations*, the earlier the better, especially on a Saturday night: 212-777-5454. If you get there at 9:00 you'll see the dancer before me as well. I forgot their website address, but you should be able to find it on a google search, so you can see the menu. I know they have a good vegetarian couscous.

Pirika Repun

You also can check dance event at Sarah Skinner's website Shakemyday New York City Events

Every Sunday at Grisly Pear for teachers and students' show. This place is more like Sports bar in the front, and very small dance space. Mainly for the teacher and students, so not always the best dancers, just check with them who'll perform the place.

Every Wednesday at JeBon with Kaeshi Chai of Bellyqueen and her students and special guest(s) will perform. However, sometimes she held "Tribal night" or "Gothic Belly Dance night" so check her site to who will perform before you go. 15 St. Marks Place. You can check the schedule in Bellyqueen's website Bellyqueen Events and News

Here is Le Souke's web site LeSouk Restaurant

heather

Thanks for the advice everyone, after lurking round in my lunch break at work I figured that you guys were the best people to ask. Think we're going to try and head to Le Souk tonight, we're staying on the lower east side so nice easy walking distance!!

Just a quick question, can we go and see the show but not eat? The other half is wanting to eat a bit earlier, couldn't quite work this out from the website, and is there any kind of dress code? As I didn't do my own packing it turns out I've only got jeans and tops with me and no shoes only smartish looking trainers!!

Rassi

I can't help you out with bellydance performances but I can be super jealous!! New York City is my favorite place on Earth!!!:shok::D

Tarik Sultan

Thanks for the advice everyone, after lurking round in my lunch break at work I figured that you guys were the best people to ask. Think we're going to try and head to Le Souk tonight, we're staying on the lower east side so nice easy walking distance!!

Just a quick question, can we go and see the show but not eat? The other half is wanting to eat a bit earlier, couldn't quite work this out from the website, and is there any kind of dress code? As I didn't do my own packing it turns out I've only got jeans and tops with me and no shoes only smartish looking trainers!!

I suppose you could go for drinks. If that doesn't work I can tell you some other places near by. I'll be getting there around 10:00. Another option on the lateish side is you could come back to Jersey City with me. I'll be leaving by 11 or 11:30. The Egyptian cafe in my neighborhood always has a dancer. She goes on 12 or 12:30. That's where I hang out if I don't have a show after work. Its only a 10 min train ride away from World Trade center. I'll give you my number private. Its really fun. Very Egyptian local crowd and the do have food. Humus, baba gunoush, foul sandwiches.

Pirika Repun

Yes. You just can drink. At the door just tell you are going to "Bar" to drink, then you'll be fine. Even you don't need drink at all! Last a couple of times I went there with my friends to see Tarik's performance, we didn't eat at all, and just had drink. I had soda (to save money. LOL) The place is very croud, so even you just walking around the place is fine. No body say anything if you don't eat at all.

No dress code, but most people dressed up anyway. I went there with jeans, so you don't need to wear dress or tie. ;)

PS. Enjoy the Tarik's show. He is great and you'll enjoy it! I promiss for that. ;-)

Last edited:

masrawy

I suppose you could go for drinks. If that doesn't work I can tell you some other places near by. I'll be getting there around 10:00. Another option on the lateish side is you could come back to Jersey City with me. I'll be leaving by 11 or 11:30. The Egyptian cafe in my neighborhood always has a dancer. She goes on 12 or 12:30. That's where I hang out if I don't have a show after work. Its only a 10 min train ride away from World Trade center. I'll give you my number private. Its really fun. Very Egyptian local crowd and the do have food. Humus, baba gunoush, foul sandwiches.

Ooh ... and don't forget your earplug. ;)

heather

Thanks again for all the advice. We ended up eating in the end, got a table about 8pm and then as the restaurant part was quietish kept it and got another bottle of wine waiting for the dancing.

Had a great time, although probably not the best view of the dancing, really nice atmosphere though. If anyone else is looking for somewhere to go and see dancing in New York I'd recommed Le Souk.

Tarik, I enjoyed the show. Thanks for the offer of going back to Jersey with you, it was very kind. Would love to have taken you up on it but didn't see the post until this morning and body clock is still a bit out so don't think would have made it really. I think you should add that cushion t your costume for future performances!!

Thanks again everyone.

Tarik Sultan

Thanks again for all the advice. We ended up eating in the end, got a table about 8pm and then as the restaurant part was quietish kept it and got another bottle of wine waiting for the dancing.

Had a great time, although probably not the best view of the dancing, really nice atmosphere though. If anyone else is looking for somewhere to go and see dancing in New York I'd recommed Le Souk.

Tarik, I enjoyed the show. Thanks for the offer of going back to Jersey with you, it was very kind. Would love to have taken you up on it but didn't see the post until this morning and body clock is still a bit out so don't think would have made it really. I think you should add that cushion t your costume for future performances!!

Thanks again everyone.

Why didn't you introduce yourself? Where were you sitting???

Pirika Repun

Thanks again everyone.

Hi Heather

I'm glad you enjoy the Tarik's show at Le Souke. :cool:

Le Souke is big place. They have dining in the front, bar/lounge in the back then some private space (?) in the far back and down stairs for another bar/lounge space. He dances all over the restaurant, and I followed him to see the performance to down stairs. Once I took his photos, so I was all over after him LOL. :lol:

Not only Le Souke, but like Cathy listed in the city have a lot of places have dance show, so try another places as well. Lafayette Grill has bigger dance space, and better view. JeBon has small stage, and small place, so you can see dancer well. I never been to Mezzo Mezzo, so I don't know. If you have chance, try different places especially this Holiday season, there is many special events all over the city. All places do not have dress code, so don't need to wear dress. ;)

Just curious, what happen to Tarik? Why he needs cushion to his costume? Many people bumped on to him? :think:

BTW this is my 200 posts Yey! :yay:
Now I'm going to football game...Today is rain, so I have to bring extra cloths to change after the game... I know I'll be soak and wet... :(

Last edited:

heather

Hi Tarik

Had intended to say hello, was sat towards the back of the restaurant part (just one down from the lady you asked to untangle you from the cushion) with long brown hair in a pony tail and sat with the boy with the funny scared/embarassed expression on his face when you physically tried to make him do manly shoulder shrugs (was worth going just to see his face!!). When you moved into the other room I poked my head round the door but at this point my body clock was still 5 hours ahead and we headed back to the hotel. Promise if I see you again I'll make more of an effort, but was too tired to stick round until you finished. Thanks for letting me know about the place though, I really enjoyed myself!!

Tarik Sultan

Hi Tarik

Had intended to say hello, was sat towards the back of the restaurant part (just one down from the lady you asked to untangle you from the cushion) with long brown hair in a pony tail and sat with the boy with the funny scared/embarassed expression on his face when you physically tried to make him do manly shoulder shrugs (was worth going just to see his face!!). When you moved into the other room I poked my head round the door but at this point my body clock was still 5 hours ahead and we headed back to the hotel. Promise if I see you again I'll make more of an effort, but was too tired to stick round until you finished. Thanks for letting me know about the place though, I really enjoyed myself!!

So that was you! I saw you when you came in the other room and was standing by the door way. Didn't realize it was YOU, but you looked like you were having a great time. I wanted to grab you to dance, but then you were gone.

I'm glad you had a good time. It wasn't as crowded and hectic as it usually is on a Saturday because of the holiday. Next time I hope you can stay longer and see the downstairs in the back.

heather

I was having a great time, although feeling dazed and jet lagged!! Back in the UK now so not sure when I'll be back, but will definitely check out Le Souk again, and hopefully for longer now I've got a better idea of the lay of the place. I'll maybe see you when you're in the UK next year especially if you make it up North.

Tarik Sultan

I was having a great time, although feeling dazed and jet lagged!! Back in the UK now so not sure when I'll be back, but will definitely check out Le Souk again, and hopefully for longer now I've got a better idea of the lay of the place. I'll maybe see you when you're in the UK next year especially if you make it up North.

I doubt I'll be making it up North....... Any way I could tempt you to make it down South? Its going to be a lot of fun......