Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Idea Hip opening exercises

Hi, greetings to all. I am a novice when it comes to belly dancing. Does anyone know any exercises or drill that I can practise to open my hips? I do not attend a school, and often practise with DVD's e.g Neon. Can anyone give me any advise?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nym View Post
    Hi, greetings to all. I am a novice when it comes to belly dancing. Does anyone know any exercises or drill that I can practise to open my hips? I do not attend a school, and often practise with DVD's e.g Neon. Can anyone give me any advise?
    Hey Nym
    glad to see you finally posting on the forum.
    you will find a wealth of info here and great advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kayshier View Post
    Hey Nym
    glad to see you finally posting on the forum.
    you will find a wealth of info here and great advice.
    That you will - welcome!! Most of my real dance education has come from the wonderful experienced folks who share their expertise here - stick around and you'll find alot of answers here that will make you start asking questions.

Do you know anyone who does yoga? I know there are some yoga poses that open the hips, but i wouldn't be able to explain them to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there are many Yoga poses that not only open your hips but stimulate other parts of your body. Here's are some sites that offers animated poses:
    Beliefs, Religion, Psychology of Beliefs, The Power of Beliefs, Yoga Beliefs, Free Online Animated Yoga
    DeZeClothing.com - "Bringing You Both Fashion And Fitness"

My favorites:
    Pigeon Pose
    Frog Pose
    Warrior I and II
    Three legged Downward Dog
    Lotus
    Keep in mind the names will vary but the poses are essentially the same. Yoga and Pilates, even Tai Chi work multiple forms nd parts of the body to increase strength and flexibility. Maybe you can find a Yoga teacher nearby if you can't find a belly dance teacher.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Yasmine. thanks for the advice. its easier for us in trinidad to find a yoga teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Gaby Beston teaches yoga at the studio that i teach from - if you guys would like her contact info i'd be happy to give it to you.

Post Thanks / Like

actually mya i'm starting Moska Yoga in january, i think Gaby teaches with them too. but it would be great to get her info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will try yoga

Thank you ladies, I did not think that I would get a reply so quickly. Will certainly make use of it. There are yoga classes where I live. Will join in the new year. Kayshier, what DVD's do you think I shoud get?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies, I did not think that I would get a reply so quickly. Will certainly make use of it. There are yoga classes where I live. Will join in the new year. Kayshier, what DVD's do you think I shoud get?
    that depends on what you are looking for.
    i would start of with Jenna's series. but there is a dvd thread somewhere in the forum that you could read and have a look at.

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly do you mean by "open your hips"? Do you mean increase external rotation or something else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast