Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hip opening exercises

I do not know if there is a specific phrase for it in belly dancing. What I mean by "open hips" is the increased flexibility and looseness in the hip area i see in experienced dancers. I did a beginners course with an instructor this year and I remember her giving us specific exercises and movements that achieved this. Its just that I have a brain like a sieve sometimes so I have forgotten them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nym View Post
    I do not know if there is a specific phrase for it in belly dancing. What I mean by "open hips" is the increased flexibility and looseness in the hip area i see in experienced dancers. I did a beginners course with an instructor this year and I remember her giving us specific exercises and movements that achieved this. Its just that I have a brain like a sieve sometimes so I have forgotten them.
    Hey - maybe next time you might want to write things down after class - I have the same problem as you - my memory is terrible; especially with choreography unless (i'm getting better though ). I used to have a little notebook just for dance and i would write down the exercises or explanation for the movements and the routines. Sometimes the description can jog your memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Nym, what Karem meant really was trying to get the hip movements to be loose so that they would look more natural.
    there was a specific exercise where we had to do exaggerated hip drops, and even in the warm up exercises where we would do exaggerated side lunges
    the figure 8's that we did with flat feet which forced us to push our hips out was another exercise...

i guess when we resume practice together i can show you these. because i still do them as part of my warm up exercises before i practice the steps.

i really don't do the choreographies that she taught us anymore, i am trying to get used to improvisation. remember? that part of our class that we used to hate so much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    Hey - maybe next time you might want to write things down after class - I have the same problem as you - my memory is terrible; especially with choreography unless (i'm getting better though ). I used to have a little notebook just for dance and i would write down the exercises or explanation for the movements and the routines. Sometimes the description can jog your memory.
    mya,
    if i remember correctly i think what nym used to ask a lot of karem was how her hips looked so 'loose' and natural, where she would do the baisc step and shimmy, or the egyptian step and shimmy. All karem kept telling us was to practice.. I remember nym asking how long it would take, karem's answer was just keep practicing, we will see the results.
    i have found this to be true...when i started doing some of the steps with a shimmy at first it would look awkward, but now after a while of practicing i have gotten to a point where i am satifised. Still trying to do the "side step" with the shimmy...but i'm getting there as well....

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, I see. Actually much of the movement in belly dance comes from the lower back - that's what is doing the moving. The looseness is a combination of flexibility and control.

An exercise I use to increase the range of movement up and down is to stretch the lateral trunk muscles. Sit on the ground, one leg turned out and bent at the knee, the other relaxed out at about 45 degrees. Bend your arm and place your hand on the back of your head, place the other hand on the floor. (Same arm bent as leg). Place you hips, back, shoulders, elbow and head on the wall. Bend sideways keeping everything against the wall. Hold. Change sides, repeat etc.

Another thing to remember is to generate most movements from the abs - not the legs. This gives smoother movement and allows easier layering.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanx ladies

Thanks ladies, I have gotten a lot of good information from you all. This time I will take note of it and will definitely be putting it into practise during my at home training sessions. Thanx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12