Newbie from Montreal

bopeep

Hi all!

I am a complete newbie to belly dance - I started in September. I know I am in for good though - I felt that 'click' that one feels when you fall in love with something! My hips have felt like they're going to fall off since about mid October (I wish they really would...), and it feels great!! :D

I am learning a style that is probably more Egyptian than anything else, but I am so new to this that I doubt I would be able to recognize any particular style if it bit me in the rear!

I live in Montreal, am a 'plus sized' (or, as I like to call it: fat :lol: ) 14 at the moment. I have been working on slimming down over the past year and have lost about 20 pounds. I am on the older side, having just turned 40.

In the past I have studied ballet, step dancing and highland dancing. I loooove to dance, but fell away from it as I got older and fatter, and lost the will to do it (I thought fat chicks looked too silly to dance :( ). Now that I'm lots older, and supposedly wiser, I don't care how silly I might look - life is too short to avoid doing something you love!

I know I have much to learn, and hopefully I can pick the occasional brain to help me figure out what I am doing wrong :lol:

BP

catwomyn

Hi and welcome! I'm also older, well-padded and don't care how silly I look, lol!

The lovely Aziza is based out of Montreal. If you get a chance to attend class with her , take it. She's a wonderful teacher and all-around nice person.

bopeep

Thanks for the welcome!

I actually saw an ad on craigslist from her offering lessons in exchange for French instruction. Unfortunately I don't think my French is good enough to take her up on that offer, but I might contact her in the future for some lessons. I plan on taking more instruction with my current teacher for now. The place where she's teaching is pretty cheap ($ is on the tight side), and since I am so new, I still have so much to learn! Once I can actually do some moves at least half right, then it might be worth spending the extra cash to get them the rest of the way right :lol:

BP

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to this very addictive dance and forum Bopeep, You sound like a very cheerful lady, You will find the moves get easier with time:D

I have 20 years on you and wouldn't give up dancing for anything (or this forum:lol:).
~Mosaic

bopeep

Thanks Mosaic! I'm definitely finding the moves are getting easier, even in the three months I've been doing this, but I also know they're still pretty bad! But, so what - I'm having fun, I'm improving, and I do love to practice. I'm bound to get something right sooner or later! :lol:

So far I'm mostly lurking and reading, but I have already recieved some great suggestions in another thread I started. This looks like a very friendly and helpful forum.

BP

adiemus

Welcome to the forum - this is a great way to get to know about bellydance, and to have fun as well. Everyone is very welcoming!
I started dance about 2 years ago now, fell in love with it, and wish I had more time in my day. I'm also over 40, and it's been an amazing way to get flexible and strong while enjoying the music and of course the costuming (when you perform!).
Don't just stick to the 'serious' stuff on the forum, there are some great and funny bits on here as well - enjoy!

bopeep

Welcome to the forum - this is a great way to get to know about bellydance, and to have fun as well. Everyone is very welcoming!
I started dance about 2 years ago now, fell in love with it, and wish I had more time in my day. I'm also over 40, and it's been an amazing way to get flexible and strong while enjoying the music and of course the costuming (when you perform!).

I have to admit I was very surprised to find such a large number of 40ish and older people getting involved in belly dancing! I figured I would be the oldest and fattest in my class, but I wasn't - not by a long shot!

And yes, the costuming is fun too! I actually got to play dress up in a skirt, sequins and everything last night - the centre where my classes are held had their Christmas party and show, and my instructor's dance troupe and some of her students were the main entertainment. I got to do two dances! :D The two I did were fairly simple ones, without complicated or layered movements, and I didn't do too badly. I had learned the choreographies and practiced my hips off (or tried to anyway - they are still there... ;)), and I had sooooooo much fun :lol:

BP

Maria_Aya

Welcome in this wonderful forum !!
The saying we have in our studio (in Athens Greece) is:

.... because oriental dance is joy for all people,
beside, age, shape, and heritage....

so enjoy !!!!

Maria Aya, Greece:)

Granddad

Hello and welcome. :D

If you were surprised to see "older and larger" women in belly dance classes, take a look at the photo galleries on my website!

Haflas with ladies 40+ 50+ 60+ 70+ and size 8 to size OMG! ... and they're all having a barrel load of fun.

Lincolnshirebellydancer.co.uk

bopeep

Thank you all for the warm welcome! (and boy do I need a warm welcome today, it's -17C here!!)

For some reason, turning 40 was what it took to shed my attitude that I was too old and fat to take up dancing again. Now that I have taken it up, I am finding all kinds of people coming out of the woodwork to say they have done or are doing some version of MED. My mother-in-law, a 70 year old cousin, several online friends... All have said how much it empowered them and made them more comfortable in their own skin.

I am very happy that I started and I believe I have found something I will do for the rest of my life - it feels so good to dance!

BP