Some beginner advice requested

bopeep

Hello all,

I have just started belly dancing classes in September, and I was hoping I could get some suggestions on things that will help me work on some stuff over the holidays (new classes don't start until mid-January).

My instructor seems to be a fairly good fit for me (so far anyway), her teaching style incorporates a lot of the follow the bouncing butt routine, as well as breakdowns of the moves. A little of each is the best way for me to learn, so I'm learning quite a lot, but I don't think I am learning a lot of the basics. She is teaching some moves that may be too advanced for a beginner (although I do seem to be able to learn some of them), and leaving out a lot of bare bones basics. (my only real complaint with her)

So, what I am hoping is that someone can suggest a good DVD that I can buy. Or maybe someone can point me to a good website, or whatever other suggestions you might have. I'm looking for something that focuses on teaching me how to move my abdominal and other torso muscles in the correct manner. Such as: 'Here's an exercise that will help develop muscleA, here's another exercise that will help develop muscleB', etc... Right now I can barely move them independently at all, and I need to practice, practice, practice. :D

BP

jenc

Don't mistake exercise for dancing. You would do better to look for dance dvd or dance workout. I recommend Neon eg Luscious I use this a lot. It is a workout using BD moves. She also has a new one at worlddancenewyork.com. It is absolutely not my style of dance, but for working out the muscles and developing fluidity it is great.
What style are you being taught?

Aisha Azar

Beginner DVD

Hello all,

I have just started belly dancing classes in September, and I was hoping I could get some suggestions on things that will help me work on some stuff over the holidays (new classes don't start until mid-January).

My instructor seems to be a fairly good fit for me (so far anyway), her teaching style incorporates a lot of the follow the bouncing butt routine, as well as breakdowns of the moves. A little of each is the best way for me to learn, so I'm learning quite a lot, but I don't think I am learning a lot of the basics. She is teaching some moves that may be too advanced for a beginner (although I do seem to be able to learn some of them), and leaving out a lot of bare bones basics. (my only real complaint with her)

So, what I am hoping is that someone can suggest a good DVD that I can buy. Or maybe someone can point me to a good website, or whatever other suggestions you might have. I'm looking for something that focuses on teaching me how to move my abdominal and other torso muscles in the correct manner. Such as: 'Here's an exercise that will help develop muscleA, here's another exercise that will help develop muscleB', etc... Right now I can barely move them independently at all, and I need to practice, practice, practice. :D
BP

Dear BoPeep,
I have a beginner DVD on the market. It has a short belly dance routine at the beginning and then goes into break down and demonstration of ten fundamental movements. If you are interested in more info, please email me at
aishaazar@raqsazar.com.
Regards,
A'isha

bopeep

Don't mistake exercise for dancing. You would do better to look for dance dvd or dance workout. I recommend Neon eg Luscious I use this a lot. It is a workout using BD moves. She also has a new one at worlddancenewyork.com. It is absolutely not my style of dance, but for working out the muscles and developing fluidity it is great.
What style are you being taught?

In a way, for me at least, exercise and dancing are very much linked together, but I do know what you mean :D. I need to repeat specific muscle building exercises so that I can actually use those muscles in dance. For example - I am more than flexible enough to do a back bend, but I don't have the strength to do it. So I can't (and won't even try - too dangerous) until I have built up some of the muscles required. And I can't really move my abdominal muscles independently yet. If I want to eventually be able to do a belly roll, I need to learn first how to move each of the muscles, develop them, then learn how to fluidly move from one to the next. That's how I do things anyway - I know different people prefer to learn differently :lol:

I am supposedly being taught a style that is predominently Egyptian. I really don't know enough to know the specifics of what makes a particular style (so new to this!), so I'm not 100% sure on that :lol:

Thanks for the DVD recommendation. I would like to try a few different styles anyway, since I don't know what style I will ultimately prefer.

Is your class mixed ability ..even a beginners class will contain students of different levels of development so your teacher may be throwing in moves to keep students of longer standing motivated.
Website you can't go wrong with All About Belly Dancing! Exploring The Art of Middle Eastern Dance! Learn About Bellydance!

Oh yes - my class is definitely mixed ability. My instructor encourages her students to take multiple classes because she teaches different things in each class (and different choreographies). So there are several 'advanced beginners' and intermediate students. I like this, as I find the moves that are still too difficult for me very motivating, but like everything, it has a few drawbacks.

I have already found Shira's site and have found it to be a great source of info! I was looking at her DVD recommendations, but I found it kind of overwhelming, since I didn't know where to start, and there are so many, and I don't really know what is close to what I'm looking for. And heck, maybe I am barking up the wrong tree in my search! I may not be looking for what I really need... :lol: I'll find out and try lots of different things, but I have to start somewhere!

BP

bopeep

Dear BoPeep,
I have a beginner DVD on the market. It has a short belly dance routine at the beginning and then goes into break down and demonstration of ten fundamental movements. If you are interested in more info, please email me at
aishaazar@raqsazar.com.
Regards,
A'isha

I assume this is the DVD on your web site? It sounds interesting! But I think I will have to wait a bit for the Canadian dollar to go back up again - at the current exchange rate it'd be too pricy for me right now. I guess I should have asked for this advice a few months ago when the dollars were about the same :lol: But thank you - I have bookmarked your site. You have some very interesting articles as well!

BP

Aisha Azar

Dvd

I assume this is the DVD on your web site? It sounds interesting! But I think I will have to wait a bit for the Canadian dollar to go back up again - at the current exchange rate it'd be too pricy for me right now. I guess I should have asked for this advice a few months ago when the dollars were about the same :lol: But thank you - I have bookmarked your site. You have some very interesting articles as well!

BP

Dear Bopeep,
Yes, it is the one on the site. The economy is so bad right now, here too. I hope you enjoy the articles.
Regards,
A'isha

katherine

I also like this one which, like Luscious and Jenna's Basics and Beyond, is from World Dance New York:

Bellydance for Core Fitness : Dance : Bellydance : World Dance New York

It looks like a fitness vid, but (IMO) is really more of a dancer's tool for correct muscular technique. There's a fantastic tutorial section -- anatomy-wonk heaven -- and lots of simple drills so you can practice.

I go back to it a lot, especially when I'm learning something more advanced and want to make sure my foundation is solid.

bopeep

Thanks so much everyone, for all those recommendations. I see that some of those titles are available from the Canadian Amazon site, so I'll probably order a couple and get some practicing in while I'm waiting for my classes to resume (last class was tonight :( ).

BP

nigma

What Katherine said.
I was also going to say don't forget to work on core strength wth Pilates or yoga excercises.

Aniseteph

ooo kaaay...

I want an amazing immunological system (gee, just look at those antibodies! You too can have T-cells like mine :D)

TriniDancer

I followed Aniseteph's program and I got sexy looking T cells in just 6 weeks :shok: For a low payment of $19.99 [to Aniseteph of course] you to can have the Antibodies for Bellydancers Program delivered to your home. Operators are standing by :lol::lol: Ain't spam grand?

ooo kaaay...

I want an amazing immunological system (gee, just look at those antibodies! You too can have T-cells like mine :D)

Mya

But you must remember to ejercitarce or else say bye bye to those shiny new T cells! :lol:

bopeep

Do those antibodies protect me against "weight lifting for Beginners" (do you think he ought to have mentioned that a few more times? If so, then I'll order two!

BP