Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Dancing caused my rebirth

Hello! My name is Sayyadina. I'm from New Jersey, USA. I happened upon this site when I was looking for clothes to wear to my class. That's a whole other thread right there.
    Anyway, well... so far my belly dancing class has changed my life. I don't mean to sound all melodramatic but it's true. I seperated from my (now ex-)husband nearly two years ago. The whole process of divorce and then bankruptcy was very hard on me. The marriage was just nasty (abuse, neglect, and infidelity) and the seperation was too until I realized I was better off. It was a huge "duh" moment but at least I didn't wait forever to figure it out.
    I figured I needed to exercise since I'm a larger gal and I thought maybe belly dancing would improve my confidence. Gosh, I wasn't prepared for the huge change that has transpired. I've been taking classes since September, just a few months, and already I feel envigorated. My body feels awake and alive. It's more than just dancing for me. It's spiritual. I feel in touch with my classmates and instructor, the music, the dust on the floor below me, the clouds in the sky above the building I'm in... you get the idea.
    I think I can safely say that I am more happy than I've ever experience. I know that my body is larger than "ideal" but when I dance and watch myself in the mirror, it's like I'm the me that I've always supposed to have been all along. It's like the damage of my marriage, poverty, and illness disappear.
    I'll stop typing more than need be and let you all go about your day.
    But still, HELLO, I'm Sayyadina, it's nice to meet you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sayyadina, thanks for sharing your inspirational story with us!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to meet you too. BD changed my life as I'm 59 now. When I was 57, I had given up what I looked like. Now lost 21 pounds and am (nicely) obsessed!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yay, good for you Sayyadina, and welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, makes me feel that way too and very happy for you that you've found the beautiful dance!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Sayyadina, Your story of your 'metamorphose' is delightful. It is amazing how this dance Lifts you up and brings with it self worth. Congratulations on your joyful addiction
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely story! I am glad you've joined us and look forward to reading more of your posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! You feel alive!

I am also a newbie that just started this September. I have not gone through the kind of crap you have recently gone through, but, in a couple of ways, I do know what you mean. Dancing in any form was always a way for me to take back control and be more, well, me. I stopped dancing when I was about 18 and I lost a part of 'me' and started gaining weight. I turned 40 this fall, and decided that I was going to stop making excuses and start dancing again - I'd wanted to learn belly dance for ages, but those darn excuses... Since I started, I too have felt alive and reborn. I love the sore feeling my hips have and practice almost every day.

Good for you for taking back your life and having found yourself! I think you know when something like this in your blood - it sings to you loud and clear

BP

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome in this wonderfull forum, and in the great world of Oriental Dance

Maria Aya, Greece

Member Male Belly Dancer SERKAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast