Dancing caused my rebirth

Sayyadina

Hello! My name is Sayyadina. I'm from New Jersey, USA. I happened upon this site when I was looking for clothes to wear to my class. That's a whole other thread right there.
Anyway, well... so far my belly dancing class has changed my life. I don't mean to sound all melodramatic but it's true. I seperated from my (now ex-)husband nearly two years ago. The whole process of divorce and then bankruptcy was very hard on me. The marriage was just nasty (abuse, neglect, and infidelity) and the seperation was too until I realized I was better off. It was a huge "duh" moment but at least I didn't wait forever to figure it out.
I figured I needed to exercise since I'm a larger gal and I thought maybe belly dancing would improve my confidence. Gosh, I wasn't prepared for the huge change that has transpired. I've been taking classes since September, just a few months, and already I feel envigorated. My body feels awake and alive. It's more than just dancing for me. It's spiritual. I feel in touch with my classmates and instructor, the music, the dust on the floor below me, the clouds in the sky above the building I'm in... you get the idea.
I think I can safely say that I am more happy than I've ever experience. I know that my body is larger than "ideal" but when I dance and watch myself in the mirror, it's like I'm the me that I've always supposed to have been all along. It's like the damage of my marriage, poverty, and illness disappear.
I'll stop typing more than need be and let you all go about your day.
But still, HELLO, I'm Sayyadina, it's nice to meet you.
:)

jenc

Nice to meet you too. BD changed my life as I'm 59 now. When I was 57, I had given up what I looked like. Now lost 21 pounds and am (nicely) obsessed!!!

Melanie

Yep, makes me feel that way too and very happy for you that you've found the beautiful dance!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum Sayyadina, Your story of your 'metamorphose' is delightful. It is amazing how this dance Lifts you up and brings with it self worth. Congratulations on your joyful addiction :lol:
~Mosaic

bopeep

Hi! You feel alive! :D

I am also a newbie that just started this September. I have not gone through the kind of crap you have recently gone through, but, in a couple of ways, I do know what you mean. Dancing in any form was always a way for me to take back control and be more, well, me. I stopped dancing when I was about 18 and I lost a part of 'me' and started gaining weight. I turned 40 this fall, and decided that I was going to stop making excuses and start dancing again - I'd wanted to learn belly dance for ages, but those darn excuses... Since I started, I too have felt alive and reborn. I love the sore feeling my hips have and practice almost every day.

Good for you for taking back your life and having found yourself! I think you know when something like this in your blood - it sings to you loud and clear :D

BP

Hi Sayyadina, I'm new to this post too, and your story has touched me. I too have found that dancing has always come to me at new points in my life. The first time I tried belly dancing was in the '70's (yep I really am an old lady but one with a Peter Pan attitiude) I had been in a car accident ended up in bed for a month or so with a cervical collar ect... but bless that doctor when the time for the collar to come off he said.. well you need rehab for the muscles but I recommend you find yourself a bellydance class... what you need to do is learn isolations so the undamaged nerves can do the work of the damaged nerves... he was so right. The second time I returned to the dance was after a really bad and abusive relationship which when it ended I had absolutely no sense of self and yup once again belly dance save me. Now this is where this sad tale gets happy:dance: Well I began to believe in me...and when I wonderful man came into my life and proposed I was able to accept being loved and said yes. Oh yes and at the same time being diagnoised with clinical depression. Then once again bellydancing helped...kept the crazies of planning a wedding in check and helped me fit into a gown (oh yes I have been a large person). Then after awhile got complacent and stopped taking classes... and yup the weight came back so I now went back to classes and :dance: now have lost lots of weight! But as to rebirth part of it...dance has always seemed to be there for me even when I haven't been there for myself...this year has been a hard one for us...One of my favorite uncles (he was married to my mom's twin sister) so he was like my other dad passed away... in the next few months my other favorite uncle (my dad's twin brother) almost passed away from kidney failure - and the cherry on top of this dreadful year my cat, Fritter had to be put to sleep. This cat was a special guy. Anyway when things get too much I put the dance music on, weep my heart out and the music supports me - while it may be a dance of grief...it is there for me (so is my wonderful husband) it understands grief and gives you a way to go onm and gives you a s taste of better things to come. Yep dance is better than prozac and all those things - but those things do help to get you to class. Oh my I didn't intend to be so long winded. Seems dance has always saved me from myself and the outside world. Linda

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hi creaky old dancer, thank you for sharing your story, what a wonderful way to embrace life's up and downs - the good and bad, with bellydance.

I am sorry you have lost your special fur friend. I have 2 at the moment, but have had to say goodbye to many fur babes in my life, and each one holds a very special place in my heart.

Keep dancing!:D
~Mosaic

Hi Mosaic, thank you for your kind words about fur-kids. We've lost other ones too... my husband's furball Torvald was special too he liked watching BD and would even consent to having a turban on his head - Fritter how ever was perhaps not so much a fan - though veil time was playtime... but yep furballs are special.