Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi from Jakarta, Indonesia!

Hi, everyone!

Greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia!

I'm a male baby bellydancer, just began learning what I assumed was American Oriental style dance in July 2007. I might say that I've mixed feelings for this. Yes, I learned a lot in terms of isolations and pops and locks (although after several months of lurking through this site, I am assuming that isolations, pops and locks are not very much Egyptian style belly dance).

My real exposure to Egyptian style belly dance was during my travel to Greece (August 2008) when I got the chance to being taught by Ms. Maria Aya for about 8 hours. I've said this and I'm going to say this often: I got more than what I thought I would and the 8 hour lesson was not only about belly dance and dance in general, but also about life (Ms. Maria Aya, this is a long overdue thanks and shout out in this great forum!).

I am currently studying Egyptian style belly dance from Bellydance Jakarta, to learn correct postures and unlearn things. It is kind of an honor for me to be the first male student there. For now, I think I am very much interested in doing Am-Cab style and Tribal fusion style, while continuing to learn and gain knowledge of belly dance and the subdances that emerge from it.

Phew, that's a long hello and introduction.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Yuska

Post Thanks / Like

Awww welcome !!!!
    THIS is a fantastic forum

And thank you for all the sweet words.
    You can visit the male bellydance subforum for many info about the malebellydancers, costuming etc

kissesssssssssssssssss

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Yuska,
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like bellydancing has taken off in Jkt. I lived there for a number of years in the 90s and sadly there was no BD there at the time. Wish there had been We moved to Bali in 2000.

I think the first classes around began in Bali around 2001/02, we left Bali in 02. I didn't find out about the classes until after we had left Indonesia But after moving back to Oz found classes beginning to spring up all over the place.

Happy dancing to you!

~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Ms. Aya: OMG, I've been lurking around this forum, even opening it during lunchbreaks at work and the male section is always inspiring (although sometimes too hard to digest).

And I might want to start jumping in the already started conversations, although I am feeling a bit shy (God knows how many times I've lurked through Zorba's website and read his opinions here).

Dear Mosaic: That's a funny thing too. When I browsed some sites like Shira.net, I also found some troupes and teachers based in Bali. I guess it has something to do with the number of foreigners living there, it being more of a leisure and touristic destination than Jakarta, and that it's more laidback and less hypocrite - in terms of sensuality and sexuality in art.

The belly dance scene in Jakarta is... various. I think the only Egyptian style belly dance classes offered are the ones where I'm taking. I'm also learning belly dance from another dance centre but it's more for fun and social and to exercise.

But sometimes when I see performances or photos of performances dubbed as "belly dance" here in Jakarta, I get to stare at them blankly, thinking that's not a belly dance posture, OMG she's opening her legs too wide, etc. Although they do execute lovely pops and locks and isolations and they shimmy waaaay better than I do.

Then there's this teacher from Iraq, his name is Kamal Al-Bayaty, but from the reviews I read in papers and groups, he comes to a country and fuses his style of bellydance with the traditional dance of the country. I never take his classes so I don't know how that works. But one day, perhaps, just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the welcome! Happy weekend!

Yuska