Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: A new idea

  1. #11
    Member trang1808's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hochiminh city in Vietnam
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lydia dubai View Post
    Hi Trang ...not treu sweety.....i think everybody is realy busy december is such a crazy month...i live very far from you ,but if i ever get to go to your area i will let you know ...i heard about your country and that it is very pretty so i am sure plenty people would like to visit...i hope that somebody near to you considers coming your way...have a nice day Dear....Lydia
    Hi Lydia,

    ya We are all busy December because Noel will come in 2 weeks.

    Thank you for your love for my country. If you visit my country, plz let me know. There are 2 big cities in Vietnam. I live in another one in the South.

    Have a nice day Lydia.

  2. #12
    Member trang1808's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hochiminh city in Vietnam
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Trang, don't be sad. I hope you'll find a great instructor. The thing is, there are not only instructors here but also many students, like me, who ofcourse don't respond to offers like these.
    little sad, friend.
    if have chance, welcome to my country

  3. #13
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it would be great to set up a project for people to go to different places to teach for free.

    I would go to a place and pay for my own travel if I got accommodation and people there to show me around etc. that is fabulous.. what a way to see the world!

    I think it is a great idea.

    I am sure there must be plenty of people who would not mind doing something like this.

    Caroline T has just paid to go to Cambodia and I have no way of contacting her.

    I am sure she would have met with you and taught a workshop in return for some local hospitaility. Who wouldnt?

    I know not everybody can afford this or get the opportunity but it is something which could be worked towards.

    My home in Liverpool is open to anyone who wants to come?

    I can organise with fellow dancers in London, Glasgow, Wales etc. and you can have a mini tour of the Uk for a fraction of the price it would cost you paying for Hotels and food etc!

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    I think it would be great to set up a project for people to go to different places to teach for free.

    I would go to a place and pay for my own travel if I got accommodation and people there to show me around etc. that is fabulous.. what a way to see the world!


    I think it is a great idea.

    I am sure there must be plenty of people who would not mind doing something like this.

    Caroline T has just paid to go to Cambodia and I have no way of contacting her.

    I am sure she would have met with you and taught a workshop in return for some local hospitaility. Who wouldnt?

    I know not everybody can afford this or get the opportunity but it is something which could be worked towards.

    My home in Liverpool is open to anyone who wants to come?

    I can organise with fellow dancers in London, Glasgow, Wales etc. and you can have a mini tour of the Uk for a fraction of the price it would cost you paying for Hotels and food etc!

    yes that would be really nice!! but i wouldn't want to have someone teach for free, i think paying for expertise is important.

  5. #15
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kayshier View Post
    yes that would be really nice!! but i wouldn't want to have someone teach for free, i think paying for expertise is important.
    But not nessesarily 'cash' if people are happy to recieve things in other ways.

    I am all for skill sharing and finding other ways to exchange without cash involved. I maybe being a bit of a hippy here but I ma all into joint working and co-operatives too. Money is important and you need it to survive but there are many other options available which we never really explore.

    If people want 'cash only' then fair enough, but there should be other opportunities available too.. in this cash obsessed world.

  6. #16
    V.I.P. Kashmir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    But not nessesarily 'cash' if people are happy to recieve things in other ways.

    I am all for skill sharing and finding other ways to exchange without cash involved. I maybe being a bit of a hippy here but I ma all into joint working and co-operatives too. Money is important and you need it to survive but there are many other options available which we never really explore.

    If people want 'cash only' then fair enough, but there should be other opportunities available too.. in this cash obsessed world.
    In kind may cover food and lodgings but it doesn't pay rent or rates or insurance - or class publicity or the lease on your hall. Your expenses don't go away because you take a holiday. And travelling to another country requires real cash for airfare. You are losing real cash from lost income.

    On the whole, you pay peanuts you get monkeys is also worth keeping in mind.

  7. #17
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    In kind may cover food and lodgings but it doesn't pay rent or rates or insurance - or class publicity or the lease on your hall. Your expenses don't go away because you take a holiday. And travelling to another country requires real cash for airfare. You are losing real cash from lost income.

    On the whole, you pay peanuts you get monkeys is also worth keeping in mind.
    Of course it is worth bearing in mind.

    I know the very mention of what I said is enough to make some peoples hair stand on end!

    This dance scene can take it, as it is too flaming commercial in my opinion.

    I hate the fact that some people cannot access things because they cannot afford too. How disgusting.

    This is a working class art... can only Westerners with big bucks afford it or what? the answer is mostly yes.

    There are plenty of dancers keeping many people afloat right now (apart from the credit crunch)

    so what if a teacher wants two weeks in Cambodia in exchange for 2 weeks hospitality? whats the problem?

    Dont forget... there are plenty of monkeys asking for big bucks too!

    I have parted with more than peanuts to enough of them over the years.

  8. #18
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Working Vacation, etc.

    Dear Gang,
    I know in some cases, as in mine, people are full time dancers and already do give in some charitable way. If one has other income and does not live on their dance income, perhaps the situation is different. I know that when I teach, I do it for love and for income, because it is my job just like the others have jobs as dishwashers or lawyers or plumbers or professors. For all of these people, there is the occasional pro bono work, but mostly we all need to get paid, not for love of money, but to pay the bills.
    Regards,
    A'isha

  9. #19
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisha Azar View Post
    Dear Gang,
    I know in some cases, as in mine, people are full time dancers and already do give in some charitable way. If one has other income and does not live on their dance income, perhaps the situation is different. I know that when I teach, I do it for love and for income, because it is my job just like the others have jobs as dishwashers or lawyers or plumbers or professors. For all of these people, there is the occasional pro bono work, but mostly we all need to get paid, not for love of money, but to pay the bills.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    I totally agree with you but there is also a matter of choice involved.

    In the past, I would have loved to have just danced and taught as a way of making a living.
    But I came to the conclusion that I at least needed to keep my part time job (to pay for my house and kids) and I knew I would begin to hate dancing, because when you do it for money you have to take all the sh*t that goes with it.

    If you pursue a career in dance then part of you has to accept it will not make you rich unless you become a full on commercial product and money is your ultimate goal.

    You also have to accept that most things on the outside are beyond your control.

    Whilst I would never want to take away someones living, I dont want the fact that people who choose to do this as a full time living to affect what I do and what I can give away for free ..to those who cannot afford it and would not be able to employ them any way.

    I do make some money from dancing and I do need it to survive.
    However, I do make a crap business woman and I dont like to take money from people I know can genuinely not afford it.

    I believe in balance thats all.

    I believe in art for everyone not for just those who can afford it.

  10. #20
    V.I.P. Aisha Azar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Posts
    5,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dance etc.

    Dear Caroline,

    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    I totally agree with you but there is also a matter of choice involved.

    In the past, I would have loved to have just danced and taught as a way of making a living.
    But I came to the conclusion that I at least needed to keep my part time job (to pay for my house and kids) and I knew I would begin to hate dancing, because when you do it for money you have to take all the sh*t that goes with it.
    Caroline, think about it. How much shit have you ever seen me take without rearing up on my hind legs? I am never afraid to lose a job or not get one because for me, my integrity in the dance and as a person comes first. I have walked away from several jobs because I understand this about myself. I am not the only one like this.

    If you pursue a career in dance then part of you has to accept it will not make you rich unless you become a full on commercial product and money is your ultimate goal.
    I am certainly not rich, but I don't regret that in the least. If I did not have a husband who brings in far more money than me, I would live poorly, but I could still live. And I disagree that a working dancer has to become a "full commercial product". This rather denigrates people like Randa, Suheir Zaki, Shareen El Safy, Morocco, etc. People who have integrity in their work and still manage to make a living.


    You also have to accept that most things on the outside are beyond your control.
    While I have no more control over what goes on outside than does any other human being, I DO have control over what I do. I am not sure of your point here...

    Whilst I would never want to take away someones living, I dont want the fact that people who choose to do this as a full time living to affect what I do and what I can give away for free ..to those who cannot afford it and would not be able to employ them any way.

    And you are certainly free to do as you choose, though some working dancers may resent it, as I resent those dancers who give the dance away and make it really difficult for those of us who are working to make a decent living when they will dance in clubs for $10 and at fairs and other places for free where they should be paid.

    I do make some money from dancing and I do need it to survive.
    However, I do make a crap business woman and I dont like to take money from people I know can genuinely not afford it.
    I agree with this in terms of life necessities. If we were talking about food, clothing, shelter I am right there with you. But dance is not a life necessity in most cases. It is in fact a luxury for most of us, unless we are in the same position as those women in countries of origin who must dance to live. I usually find that when I have been generous enough to give people classes at half rate or for free, they end up later telling me about the $70 haircut they just got, or about the fabulous new dress or costume they bought, none of which I can afford.

    I believe in balance thats all.
    I believe in art for everyone not for just those who can afford it.
    That is why my classes remain reasonably priced and why I insist on anyone I sponsor being willing to take less money so I can pay everyone. Others are charging $75 and up for workshops and my dance company still charges $45-50. We manage to bring quality people at a price reasonable to dancers. And that is the very reason why I donate a certain amount of my dance time every year, but after many years of being taken advantage of, I have drawn a line and I stick to it most of the time. Otherwise I would find that I was giving away more than I was earning.

    Regards,
    A'isha

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •