Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new idea

Post Thanks / Like

Default !!!!!!!

Dear Caroline,
    I think you are just a Sweetie and I hope to meet you in person some day. I am ever so happy that you are part of this forum.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aisha azar View Post
    dear caroline,
    i think you are just a sweetie and i hope to meet you in person some day. I am ever so happy that you are part of this forum.
    Regards,
    a'isha
    yes i agree!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont get called that very often so thank you very much to you both!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Caroline has the right to teach for free as a gift to a friend, or in exchange for lodging. She has a right to offer her home to aid international understanding and goodwill. This is what artists and bohemians the world over have always done. It is one way peace and friendship can grow.

Personally, I'm too much of a control freak to share my home, but I admire her offer, and the open heart behind it.
    Last edited by da Sage; 12-12-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    Personally, I'm too much of a control freak to share my home, but I admire her offer, and the open heart behind it.

Post Thanks / Like

No quotes on this one for me ... there are too many!

In a nutshell, I seem to be a bit of a hippy too because I'm with Caroline on this one. I've visited developing nations in the course of my career in my youth and lived in other countries so maybe that influences my thinking... I'm also totally unable to make money . Most of the websites I build are for community projects or charities that can't afford to pay or, like my belly dance website, projects spurred by a passion. What the heck! I enjoy what I do and the "feel good factor" is enough to keep me going. Between my wife and I we make ends meet and neither of us have a need to drive a new car or to have the latest gadgets. That's our choice and we recognise that if everyone was like us the global economy would probably be in worse shape than it is anyway. It takes all types of people to make a world.

Back to the topic... As I said, I'm with Caroline, what's wrong with trading skills for hospitality if you're going to another country anyway? Spending time with local people is going to enhance your stay and open your eyes to the way the other half lives. We're not talking about British dancers going to the States, teaching workshops in exchange for hospitality and thus undercutting resident dancers or vice versa.

Something like this could be great for international relationships. It could also go beyond just teaching workshops in developing nations where there are no belly dance teachers. For example, my wife isn't the best belly dancer in the world but she's an excellent (school) teacher, a skill that transfers to dance teaching. If we could find an excellent dancer say in Morocco who wants to improve her teaching skills they could trade lessons.

I think it's an idea that is worth pursuing.

Belly Dancers Sans Frontières?

By the way, I agree about Djamilla Hanann, I met her at Jewel Of Yorkshire in October. A world class dancer without the "diva" personality.
    Last edited by Granddad; 12-12-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    I dont get called that very often so thank you very much to you both!!!
    No it's not a word that springs to mind when I think of you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    No it's not a word that springs to mind when I think of you
    cheeky! then what adjectives would you call on to describe me...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year bellydancer.

I am sorry for disappear for long time. My thread was in dust.

My English is not well. Please forgive me if my explanation has mistakes.

Dear Caroline and Aisha,

Thank you for your enthusiasm to this wonderful art.

I am sorry again. I have not read your comments yet. I still have limit in my reading.

Thank you Caroline. Living in this life we need a soul. It does not mean I do not agree with Aisha. Thank you Aisha because you point out the other side of this art.

I suggest idea to combine traveling and teaching to expand belly dance in more countries, specially in my country.
    It is honor if belly dance develop in right way with real instructors. They will bring us true lessons. They have lots of experiences so we do not have pain while practicing.

In my country, some girls watch videos then open class. They show their dance in bar and proud of what they do. And the other Vietnamese see they dancing believing that it is belly dance. What is your feeling if you know that most Vietnamese elder call belly dance is dirty dance and it is for naughty girls?

I understand you Aisha. The payment we give to instructors show our respect to them. Because they show the art, their dance is respectful and belly dance in their expression way affirm that it is not dirty dance - it is an art form.

My idea is a wish. Everybody can wish and dream. My dream is about belly dance. What do you feel when you dance or you can do a difficult movement? I feel that I am a winner. First I can control my body. Second I proud of my body and myself. How wonderful it is when I feel my energy flow out my body into my dance! I am not good at dance. I am practicing every day.

There are more ways to kill an art if it does not grow in good environment. It is same in every where.

Those girls opening classes do not want to invite real instructors come my country. I can understand why. However, why we hide our mistakes and the result is existing a new born art?

I know the cost to invite a professor is too high. With my student's finance, I can't afford. There is no organization in my country think about developing this art. I hope there is a volunteer.

Because Vietnamese is host, I have responsibility to pay for accommodation, transportation....

Best wishes.
    Happy holidays

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    How about the teacher travels to the country and dances for a fee. Then the person in the host country charges for board, food, a proportion of the bills of the house for the time they stay, tour guide fees, transport fees, translation fees etc. Or maybe just leave out the money bit out as it might be a bit easier....

(I do get the point about devaluing the dance, but let's not devalue the other part of the exchange in the process. A 'free holiday' isn't free)
    It shows hospitable to charge for those fees.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast