Never too old, I guess

Shanazel

There was nothing at all wrong with my 22 year old colleague that twenty years won't fix ;). YOU GO, LIZAJ!!!:clap::clap: Whatcha gonna study?

chryssanthi sahar

And here's me thinking of going back to uni...God knows what some people will think!:lol:

I think this is a great idea:D Honestly, I am really thinking of going for the third time in my life to university after I retire as a dancer and dance teacher (which probably won't be the case before I get 70:lol:) By the way, here in Germany there is an official programme for seniors at all universities and there are quite some people over 65 who start new studies. They are regular students and study together with the young kids and it's a really cool thing. I used to have some older university mates during my German and Eduction studies as well as later during my Japanese and Cultural Anthropology studies.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
When I was 43 (43, my god, a real aged crone), a sincere young (22)paralegal in our firm told me how wonderful she thought it was that someone my age could go back to school and learn a new trade.:lol:

Is she still alive?:lol:;)
~Mosaic

Granddad

I've been thinking about this one and have concluded that Old Age is a generational/cultural thing. My mother (bless her) and many of her generation used to keep us in line with the injunction "Act your age!" and were (are) very careful to do the right thing and to live up to society's expectations. At fifty she was an old lady looking forward to her pension and sitting in her rocking chair. She had a "cauliflower" hairdo, refused to colour her hair because only low class people do that; wore jumble (rummage) sale clothes that went out of fashion when she was 30 and the biggest event she had to look forward to in her week was church choir practice or maybe a couple of hours weeding her rose garden. She wanted to grow old gracefully.

My (our) generation (with exceptions) refuse to act our age and don't give a tinker's cuss about what society thinks. I've heard us referred to as the "Forever Forty" generation, it's our intention to grow old disgracefully. Many of us will fight the infirmities that age brings and will refuse to be certified as dead until the lid is nailed very firmly down on our coffins... which will probably shimmy slightly as it's lowered into the grave. :dance: :D

It's a matter of attitude.... and I think our generation has LOADS of attitude! :lol:

Farasha Hanem

I've been thinking about this one and have concluded that Old Age is a generational/cultural thing. My mother (bless her) and many of her generation used to keep us in line with the injunction "Act your age!" and were (are) very careful to do the right thing and to live up to society's expectations. At fifty she was an old lady looking forward to her pension and sitting in her rocking chair. She had a "cauliflower" hairdo, refused to colour her hair because only low class people do that; wore jumble (rummage) sale clothes that went out of fashion when she was 30 and the biggest event she had to look forward to in her week was church choir practice or maybe a couple of hours weeding her rose garden. She wanted to grow old gracefully.

My (our) generation (with exceptions) refuse to act our age and don't give a tinker's cuss about what society thinks. I've heard us referred to as the "Forever Forty" generation, it's our intention to grow old disgracefully. Many of us will fight the infirmities that age brings and will refuse to be certified as dead until the lid is nailed very firmly down on our coffins... which will probably shimmy slightly as it's lowered into the grave. :dance: :D

It's a matter of attitude.... and I think our generation has LOADS of attitude! :lol:

Hmmmmm...hang on a sec... *runs to PoetryPoem.com*

Here we go:

To Age With Beauty

To most, growing old is a frightful thing
that should be avoided with all one's being.
Science and medicine are presently engaged
in striving to retard the effects of old age.

However, in my opinion, it is better to face
the approach of one's twilight with dignity and grace.
It is useless to cling to unwarranted fears
of the impending encroachment of the latter years.

As I grow older, let the changes I see
in the mirror reflect how Christ would have me to be.
May the lines on my face be fearlessly caused
by the countless smiles I give without pause.

Let honor and wisdom in my life be seen
as the years kiss my hair with a silvery gleam.
May the passing of time sweeten my heart,
regardless if health from my body departs.

Lord, make me everything You would have me to be,
Let me be an example of aging with beauty.

November 25, 2002

This is really more about having a right kind of heart as we grow older (I have to admit to being guilty of coloring my hair, lol). I think it's more important to have a good attitude and a caring heart, no matter what age we are. :)

I hope to bellydance for many years to come, and I hope someday to become good enough to share that joy with others and do my chosen craft justice. :)
Kudos to all here who perform for other people, no matter what your age! :clap:

Mosaic

Super Moderator

Grandad you are so right! There is no way I will 'grow older' gracefully, it is disgracefully or not at all! Gotta have the coloured hair, a little bit of deep purple or blonde, or cherry red highlights sometimes and if I had the money I certainly would do some cosmetic touch ups - what is the use of having all that medical knowledge out there and no one use it!

I know that some people say you should stick with whatever you have got, but we use makeup to 'improve' what we have or to hide that which we dislike, so I say if cosmetic surgery/restylane/or botox etc can be afforded then go for it! Next year I am going to brave those tiny needles have have some restylane in the crags and crevasses forming in my face. I was going to do it this year but chickened out:lol: But have made an appointment for February and talked a girlfriend to come with me to hold this 'sukey-la-la's ' hand. If I had a bottomless purse I would tuck and lift everything:lol:
~Mosaic

PS: Go out with a bang ... not a whimper!

lizaj

Grandad you are so right! There is no way I will 'grow older' gracefully, it is disgracefully or not at all! Gotta have the coloured hair, a little bit of deep purple or blonde, or cherry red highlights sometimes and if I had the money I certainly would do some cosmetic touch ups - what is the use of having all that medical knowledge out there and no one use it!

I know that some people say you should stick with whatever you have got, but we use makeup to 'improve' what we have or to hide that which we dislike, so I say if cosmetic surgery/restylane/or botox etc can be afforded then go for it! Next year I am going to brave those tiny needles have have some restylane in the crags and crevasses forming in my face. I was going to do it this year but chickened out:lol: But have made an appointment for February and talked a girlfriend to come with me to hold this 'sukey-la-la's ' hand. If I had a bottomless purse I would tuck and lift everything:lol:
~Mosaic

nwhimperot a
PS: Go out with a bang ... !

I still maintain there is nothing unatural about bleach.
My reservations about plastic surgery are:
doctors are trained by tax payers to save lives not enhance the vain
my husband works in a NHS hospital and sees the results of bad plastic surgery
I actually don't like the look most surgeons achieve!
BUT in the final analysis there are women and men whose livelihoods rely on looking "good" and I begin to grant them their choice AND we are free to spend our money as we wish if it makes us happy.
And although, I don't have a lot of wrinkles myself I certainly dislike than droopy right eyelid!:(

Granddad

Hmmmmm...hang on a sec... *runs to PoetryPoem.com*

Here we go:

To Age With Beauty

To most, growing old is a frightful thing
that should be avoided with all one's being.
Science and medicine are presently engaged
in striving to retard the effects of old age.

However, in my opinion, it is better to face
the approach of one's twilight with dignity and grace.
It is useless to cling to unwarranted fears
of the impending encroachment of the latter years.

As I grow older, let the changes I see
in the mirror reflect how Christ would have me to be.
May the lines on my face be fearlessly caused
by the countless smiles I give without pause.

Let honor and wisdom in my life be seen
as the years kiss my hair with a silvery gleam.
May the passing of time sweeten my heart,
regardless if health from my body departs.

Lord, make me everything You would have me to be,
Let me be an example of aging with beauty.

November 25, 2002

This is really more about having a right kind of heart as we grow older (I have to admit to being guilty of coloring my hair, lol). I think it's more important to have a good attitude and a caring heart, no matter what age we are. :)

I hope to bellydance for many years to come, and I hope someday to become good enough to share that joy with others and do my chosen craft justice. :)
Kudos to all here who perform for other people, no matter what your age! :clap:

Somehow I get the feeling that your hopes will become realities and that along the way you'll bring light and smiles to many lives. :)

nightdancer

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, Martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO HOO, what a ride!’"

nigma

My reservations about plastic surgery are:
doctors are trained by tax payers to save lives not enhance the vain
my husband works in a NHS hospital and sees the results of bad plastic surgery
I actually don't like the look most surgeons achieve!
QUOTE]

This is my take on what a doctor should be too.
Surgery should be about saving lives not saving face.
Plastic surgery, in my opinion, should be left for those disfigured by accidents.

I love that photo of you Lizaj, you look beautiful and the lady (in her 70's?) in blue is lovely. And the lady in pink does not look 60 either.

My initial praise for Shanazel wasn't about her getting up on stage because she's an old gal but because she had such a long hiatus between performing.

Shanazel

And Shanazel says thank you for the kind words.

There is vanity and there is vanity. Where would one draw the line? Cleft palate deserves plastic surgery but ears that stick out through a person's hair do not because a person should just learn to live with the non-life-threatening defect God deals them? The girl with the nose the size of Texas should just suck it up and live with the taunts? The man who life dealt breasts a woman would be proud of should just deal with it? No accident, no deal?

There may be a lot of psychological damage lurking behind a person's apparently frivolous decision to have plastic surgery. Sometimes what appears to be saving face is saving a lot more. I have had plastic surgery twice. It changed my quality of life and peace of mind tremendously, and I am not about to make assumptions about whether someone else's surgery is frivolous or not.

lizaj

And Shanazel says thank you for the kind words.

There is vanity and there is vanity. Where would one draw the line? Cleft palate deserves plastic surgery but ears that stick out through a person's hair do not because a person should just learn to live with the non-life-threatening defect God deals them? The girl with the nose the size of Texas should just suck it up and live with the taunts? The man who life dealt breasts a woman would be proud of should just deal with it? No accident, no deal?

There may be a lot of psychological damage lurking behind a person's apparently frivolous decision to have plastic surgery. Sometimes what appears to be saving face is saving a lot more. I have had plastic surgery twice. It changed my quality of life and peace of mind tremendously, and I am not about to make assumptions about whether someone else's surgery is frivolous or not.

If you read my full post you see I balance my intitial gut response to cosmetic surgery. I understand show biz personalities who earn their living by looking good being tempted under the knife. I certainly therefore understand the person who has a problem that makes them unhappy to the point of stress and depression. Someone in my family has had minor cosmetic surgery on their ears . And were I braver and richer I might be tempted to happy that droopy eye lid looked at. But it is also important that folks go to reputable surgeaons as there are plenty of incompetants out there

fawnmarie

I'm 44 and have decided I'm going down kicking and screaming. I'm a bit scared of the whole surgery thing, so I'll just have to act like a teenager and look like an old woman and embarrass my children. But, you know - not going gently, me.

chryssanthi sahar

Very well said Granddad:clap: I'm surely also one of those who are going to grow old disgracefully:lol: (well, who have already started growing old disgracefully;) I am 48, so two more years and I'll hit 50. But 50 today is like 30 one century ago;)) And...by the way, why do you call yourself Granddad if you are not even 60? It cannot be because of the age, so I assume you are a real granddad? How many grandchildren do you have?

Shanazel

If you read my full post you see I balance my intitial gut response to cosmetic surgery...

Yes, I did read it Lizaj. I was responding to Nigma's remarks about plastic surgery being limited to those defaced in accidents.