Never too old, I guess

Shanazel

Last night I danced in public for the first time in years; I generally have only my students perform in the twice a year recitals the rec center sponsors, but gave in to my students' insistence that I dance this time. I chose to do something I've never done before and with my tongue firmly in my cheek went for non-traditional in a big way: I picked the song Dueling Banjos, made it look like the tech crew (God Bless Them All) had cued the wrong music, then danced my little heart out to banjo and guitar. The roof damn near came off the auditorium and I had several phone messages waiting for me when I got home from work today re: that performance. I am a 53 year old non-entity BD teacher who hasn't danced professionally in twenty-five years, so please forgive my immodesty in mentioning this, but it tickled me to death to get the biggest audience response of the evening, plus crush calls the next day.:lol:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
You Go Girl! 3 cheers for Shanazel, and you go right ahead and 'toot your trumpet' I think that is amazing! I bet your students were thrilled to bits!
Congratulations!! :clap::clap:
~Mosaic

chryssanthi sahar

Congratulations Shanazel:clap: I'm happy you made the experience, that it is NEVER too late for performing belly dance in public:D I hope this wasn't the last time you did it;)
By the way, in my last Oriental Flow two weeks ago, I had a 60 years old student of mine performing a solo (she is the oldest student I have at the moment) and people looooved her:D And, you know, I am also not a teenager anymore (well, I stopped being one something like 29 years ago:lol::lol::lol:), but I am still a popular performer and I get hired for all kinds of events and shows almost every weekend. So lady, GO ON AND DANCE!!!:dance:

cathy

Very glad to hear you hit the stage again and that it went so well. I wish I could have seen it. Cathy

teela

Congrats. I'm glad this happened. Who says we are too old to perform???/ You go girl and enjoy life.

Shanazel

I hope to goodness no one did! :shok: I positively blanche at the thought of ending up on YouTube and becoming the focus point of worldwide criticism. But thank you, Q, I realize you meant it as a compliment.;)

Farasha Hanem

I hope to goodness no one did! :shok: I positively blanche at the thought of ending up on YouTube and becoming the focus point of worldwide criticism. But thank you, Q, I realize you meant it as a compliment.;)

Awwwwww, I was hoping someone had taped it! :( I would have loved to seen it! Congrats, Shanazel, you are way awesome! We're all proud of you! :D *hugs!*

Phoebedances

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I wish I could have seen it! I bet it was amazing and I'm sure that you should be dancing in public far, far more often. The dueling banjos idea is just stellar! lol :lol::lol::lol: I second the thought that if there's a video, I'd love to see it too!!!

Shanazel

I repeat- there's better not be a video! I did it as a gentle satire and no doubt someone would label it traditional belly dance and I'd take hell from the masses! But it was great fun.

Pirika Repun

Congrats Shanazel!! 53 is NOT too old to perform. It's too bad to you don't have any video or photos. :( If I were there, I took photos for ya! ;)

I saw this lady (on attached) dance in student show on Friday (12/5/08) She is NOT professional dancer or teacher she is just a student. That day was her birthday, and she turned to 75 years YOUNG! Also her BOY FRIEND (or her MAN) came to see and support her! So, nobody be too late to perform! :dance:

Last edited:

Phoebedances

I know. Actually she danced 2 songs that include DRUM SOLO! :shok:

Audiences were very supportive, and she had great time. I saw her first time, but she had a lot of energy and her facial expression was good. ;)

Pirika, She is BEAUTIFUL! Wow.. would never have placed her at 75 and she looks so graceful too! I do think this dance keeps a body young!

Shan, maybe someday I'll get to see you dance since there won't be an upcoming video. I do adore tongue in cheek routines. :D

AngelaJP

Woweee, Shan!!! :clap: Way to go, girl!!! Just goes to say that you have to perform much more often in public and inspire us all even more! Next time, we hope to see pictures and videos so we can cheer and applaud loudest so you can hear us from the other side of the world.

Congrats, Shannie!!! :dance: