Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bopeep View Post

Do you more experienced people find that there are some moves that don't work well or need slight variations with a larger dancer, and some moves where the fat is a bonus? Or am I just being nuts?
    I have found generally that no dancer very looks the same everything tends to have a particular essence to their own style .. brought about by their own strengths and weaknesses, fav moves, body types, interpretation of the music.
    After all a large part of bd is interpreting the music, singing it through your movement, and that's an individual thing.. one reason why the dance is best solo. So in many ways this is just the way bd works.. everyone finds there own unique style (look at all stars of the dance Fifi Suheir Dina all very different).
    While size may seem at first like it causes a major difference in peoples dance you soon come to realise that weight as Shanzel says has the least effect.
    Your own opperation of each movement changes as you dance, becomes more fluid and comfortable .... besides when you dance the moves flow together rather than go from position A to B you just learn to respond to the music.. and the music will natural adjust your moves to fit it. When you get to a certain level it's not really about how one move looks on you so much as how you dance to the music and respond to it... there will always be favourite moves but your minds adjusts to wanting to do your favourite move to naturally picking the move that suits the music. Anyway tha's my oppinion and though I'm not an expert or anything...

Also have to say LOVE the avatar pic... so cute
    Sita

Post Thanks / Like

HI - you've gotten some really really good advice on this thread - i don't think i could add anything extra to it except that this is a very "accomodating" or inclusive dance - it works on everybody and every body.

Some moves that look beautiful on you, may not look so beautiful on an athletic body and vice versa, but it doesn't mean that you'll dance any worse for it!

Practise, practise like the ladies told you - get it right first and then your style and preferences will develop later.

Happy Dancing!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I at last night's class I truely began to get it - The teacher had us working on a particular combo and I was at first following her, like usual, but then when I felt how the moves went to the music, I began following the music instead. Suddenly, it looked graceful and more proper on my body then it did when I was trying to do exactly what she was doing. I was still doing the same thing she was doing, but I moved bits of me slightly differently because I am built differently. It worked! The teacher gave me the thumbs up and said I am really getting this stuff. I love my teacher - I'm sure she isn't the best one in the city, but she is really, really encouraging me in this!

Lots of practice and the understanding will come! I felt like I was on cloud nine when I saw how I could change and adapt the move to me, to make it mine and make it work better.

Thanks guys - your feedback really helped me see things in a different way, and helped me 'get it' at least this once.

Quote Originally Posted by Sita View Post
    Also have to say LOVE the avatar pic... so cute
    Sita
    hehe - thanks. I like to think it's symbolic of me finally getting back on my feet

BP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12