Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Workshop level

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    I have decided to go to as many workshops as I can (afford)

can someone help me with their understanding of what levels mean
    Thanks
    This is honestly not meant in a snippy comment, but if you are going to go to as many workshops as you can, prepare yourself to be disappointed on a number of occasions. There is a huge variety of styles, quality, levels, and some will be not to your liking, and some will just be simply awful!!

'Levels' are such a generic term, if I look across the spectrum of dancers I know, I wouldn't be able to divide them into 4 (or however many) boxes of levels, and I'm sure that will apply to you as an individual too - for example, I can tell you I'm probably improver-advanced at choreographies, beginner at khaleegi, and finger cymbals, improver at drumming...! Put it all together and I'm an passable dancer, just about on a good day, hehehe!

Personally, I read level 2 as 'anyone who has learnt the basics already and don't need those principles explained to them', for what that's worth.

My friend and I were discussing the hypothetical 'how to learn from workshops' workshop and what should be taught at it !

Here's a taster of what our 'pre-workshop workshop' would cover:

- the teacher as a dancer: do they have a style or an aspect of dance that you would like to explore more of? I took Asmahan's workshop not to learn how she dances but what she does to create 'drama'.

- the teacher as a teacher: see if you can find out their style of teaching and if that's compatible with how you learn. I agree that an informal approach may reveal more than an online forum.

- the student: knowing your own limits, becoming conscious of what it is you want to achieve from the workshop and not getting distracted by elements that may be beyond you at this stage, or may be off topic from what you yourself want to learn.

- selecting workshops: not falling into the trap of picking easy workshops just to protect one's ego, matching learning style to what's on offer, trying to decipher workshop descriptions

- how to get more from specific workshop styles: not taking the topic of the workshop at face value

- learning from the negatives: if it's going horribly wrong, how to not lose your cool and how to still learn from what you don't like as much as if you did

It's a great hypothetical idea, I look forward to someone holding this workshop, it would need a stronger teacher than me !

Good luck Jenc!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so an international dancer or national teacher is coming over. you don't have their address. The workshop is advertised as Level 2/3. It is supposed to mean something to you. If everyone in a large workshop mailed the organisers, there would be chaos.
    International dancer coming over? Is this something I should know about as a fellow Essexonian?

Post Thanks / Like

Aziza Croyden Jan 31

Whereabouts are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Aziza Croyden Jan 31

Whereabouts are you?
    Jen, did you go to these? I didn't see you at the hafla last night but I wasn't at the workshops (sprained ankle and being picky with the pennies)!

Ah so reviewing my experience in Aziza's workshops before...

I found Aziza to be a lovely teacher who took her time to explain very succinctly and wasn't afraid to slow the pace if she felt people weren't following. She had some really insightful things to offer in terms of perspectives and technique. It was physically demanding although it depended how hard you pushed yourself so you could have kept up.

A complete beginner would have struggled as she worked from the assumption you had a fairly good grasp on the basics.

Her workshops were fantastic but they made me personally realise that I'm not an am-cab style dancer at heart and while I love to watch her dance, it's not what I aspire to dance like. That doesn't mean I would never go to an Aziza workshop again by any means, it just means I would pay close attention to the subject she is covering - technique or veil tick my boxes but choreography or combinations don't. I also have her drills dvd after having done her drills workshop so would recommend it but don't need to go to it again really.

This time around I umm'd and ahh'd for so long that they sold out! Just as well really, as my sprained ankle is still not fully recovered.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at that hafla - Eshta, I wondered if you were there somewhere when I saw the Saqarah flyers!

Her workshops were fantastic but they made me personally realise that I'm not an am-cab style dancer at heart and while I love to watch her dance, it's not what I aspire to dance like. That doesn't mean I would never go to an Aziza workshop again by any means, it just means I would pay close attention to the subject she is covering - technique or veil tick my boxes but choreography or combinations don't...
    Me too. Choreography/combinations usually put me off, unless it is a dancer I especially like, then I'll go to anything unless it's advanced.

I would go to an Aziza arm technique workshop!

Post Thanks / Like

No I didn't go. I thought about it but as I remember I was tempted by Hafla and Sunday workshop, so in the end didn't go. Also having to drive back from Croyden after Hafla was not tempting. Pennies also. I know I need to do more workshops, and probably should have gone to something. I still keep wondering whether I am good enough to get my money's worth!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123