Is there a such thing as Nude Bellydancing?

Artemocion Malta

Almost-naked-Belly dance lol!

lol this is so funny. Whilst I dont consider this as real belly dance you might want to take a look at this video- It s a dance, and she is almost naked!

(the woman in the clip really does look like a goddess, but the snake is so fake! )

YouTube - Indian Tomb

Phoebedances

Yes. Nude Belly Dancing occurs when someone bellydances while nude. It's considered more aesthetically appealing than Nude Tapdancing, and it's more common than Nude Tobogganing, but it's not nearly as popular as other things people do while naked. :yay::yay:

I don't know of any sites for Nude Belly Dancing, but I'm sure if you create one, the viewers will come. :shok: :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm so sad that I only now checked out this thread. ROFLMAO!! I had to give you +rep!

Moon

Bellydance Oz said:
The men wore little crochet things which we dubbed "willy-warmers" to protect them from the sun...

Aniseteph said:
LOL at the crocheted willy warmers, just imagining the hausfraus crocheting away over coffee and cakes and comparing patterns...

Granddad

Well, glad to see some of you have a since of humor about the question.

Seriously, apart from random bits of anatomy flopping around being a potential heath and safety risk, there is also the consideration that with many dancers there would also be a potential felony under the Good Taste and Aesthetics Act of 1953, section 102 sub-section (f).

Anyway, I suspect that at least half the attraction of belly dance for most of the dancers I know is that they have an excuse to spend oodles of money on glittery bits to cover up their naughty bits.

Dream on!! :yay: :lol:

Chani

Yes. Nude Belly Dancing occurs when someone bellydances while nude. It's considered more aesthetically appealing than Nude Tapdancing, and it's more common than Nude Tobogganing, but it's not nearly as popular as other things people do while naked. :yay::yay:

I don't know of any sites for Nude Belly Dancing, but I'm sure if you create one, the viewers will come. :shok: :rolleyes: :lol:

I just snorted coffee out of my nose! :D

Chani

shiradotnet

The visual of belly dance + flopping anatomy eeeeeewwwwwww :lol:

Several years ago, I accepted a booking to dance for a nudist's birthday party. His name was Peter. I am not making this up. Anyway, I designed my set to include a lot of bouncy audience participation music. About half my audience was naked, and the other half clothed. (Surprised? Don't be. Nudists do understand the beneficial sunscreen properties of textiles.) I was wearing a normal belly dance costume.

Anyway, my performance was in the back yard, around the perimeter of the swimming pool. I noticed that at the far end of the swimming pool was a guy wearing a baseball cap and sneakers, and nothing in between. He really seemed to be enjoying my performance - kind of nodding his head in time to the music, etc. So I worked my way around to his end of the swimming pool and invited him to dance with me. His face lit up with pleasure and he started to do vigorous hip twists. Very vigorous. Very thigh-thwacking vigorous. It was, uh, distracting. In a highly entertaining way. One of my fonder gig memories.

Later, after I changed into civilian clothes and accepted a parting glass of water from the host, this party guest (still stark naked) came up to me and told me enthusiastically how much he had enjoyed my performance. It seems he had been in Turkey in the military when he was young, and my use of Turkish dance music for my performance had brought back many happy memories for him.

Tarabelly

OMG Shira! How did you maintain composure? That is sooo funny!

I've done some crazy travels and crazy gigs in my life. I was belly dancing on a nude beach in Hawaii, just a shimmy belt on... I got picked up by 6 lovely lesbians and brought to their private beach where I lived naked for 1.5 months. I'm going to write a book someday...

shiradotnet

OMG Shira! How did you maintain composure? That is sooo funny!

Fortunately, it's considered perfectly appropriate for a belly dancer to have a brilliant smile when she's working the audience.

But it was extremely difficult to keep my eyes on his face, considering that other parts of him were begging to be noticed. Took all my self control!

Thwack, thwack!

While I danced, Peter, the birthday boy was in the swimming pool, wearing nothing except the goofy silver lame turban I had brought to put on his head. He had one of those foam flotation devices known as a "noodle" - the long, cylindrical shape. The noodle was red, and he straddled it as he watched me dance. So there was this big red noodle pointing perkily up from between his legs....

Yes, that gig was lots of fun!

Phoebedances

Some of them parts is pretty funny just hangin' around.

A quote from my dad, 'There are some people if they were naked wouldn't be arrested for indecent exposure, but public nuisance.'

So true...

On the other hand, Tara and Shira's experiences both sound very interesting. lol

sultan

Just curious, is there a such thing as Nude Belly dancing? if so are there any sites for that type of thing?

A long while ago I came across a question and answer web site that dealt with Islamic law but for the life of me cannot remember which one it was. A lady inquired as to whether topless belly dance was permissable under Islamic law. The reply was that, yes, it is permissable. However, it was "made wicked" by the presence of men and/or by the presence of lesbians.

With all due respects to this religion, I found the idea to be a bit too prejudiced.

Granddad

A long while ago I came across a question and answer web site that dealt with Islamic law but for the life of me cannot remember which one it was. A lady inquired as to whether topless belly dance was permissable under Islamic law. The reply was that, yes, it is permissable. However, it was "made wicked" by the presence of men and/or by the presence of lesbians.

With all due respects to this religion, I found the idea to be a bit too prejudiced.

Sorry, I don't get why that is prejudiced... but then I'm not on the ball with P.C.

It seems like a very logical statement to me which would apply to most societies where the breasts are normally covered. Topless belly dancing would be in the same realm as topless dancing of any genre. Dancing topless in an all female situation would mostly classify as harmless. Dancing topless in front of an audience of men or lesbians (such as in a club situation) would probably be calculated to inspire lust. (Definitions of lust on the Web:

* lecherousness: a strong sexual desire
* crave: have a craving, appetite, or great desire for
* self-indulgent sexual desire (personified as one of the deadly sins)
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn)

Apart from moral issues, lust is not what belly dancing is about (if it is then I've been missing something!).

The answer the lady was given could have come from most of the world's major religions.

Last edited:

sultan

''Sorry, I don't get why that is prejudiced... but then I'm not on the ball with P.C.''

Thank you for your reply.

To me, prejudice arises when double standards are applied. Society has no difficulty with men and women in attendance at performances of topless men dancing. Gender orientation of the viewership (and the idea of any possible carnality) is held to be inconsequential. In theory (if we are to have an unprejudiced society) it should be equally open minded when it comes to females engaging in the same type of performance notwithstanding the audience or gender orientation or the possibility of carnality of its membership.

Years ago, a friend of mine travelled to West Africa where women and men danced with no clothing on above the waist line. The performance was open to all without prejudice of any kind. As with belly dancing, this type of tribal dance was not viewed as intended to incite carnality. Up to a generation ago, tribal dancing in the South seas were performed topless and were open to all without prejudice. Again, carnality or the sexual orientation of the viewership was inconsequential.

You are correct when you say that most religions may have given the same answer. However, belly dance, West African tribal dance, and South seas dance all began well before today's religions did. And society's prejudices against these forms of entertainment began when Abrahamic religion expanded its influence. Its teachers are certainly entitled to their opinion. However, the idea that an art or cultural form is "made wicked" because of the presence of people of a different gender or gender orientation seems a bit prejudiced to me.

My 2 cents.

Aniseteph

To me, prejudice arises when double standards are applied. Society has no difficulty with men and women in attendance at performances of topless men dancing. Gender orientation of the viewership (and the idea of any possible carnality) is held to be inconsequential. In theory (if we are to have an unprejudiced society) it should be equally open minded when it comes to females engaging in the same type of performance notwithstanding the audience or gender orientation or the possibility of carnality of its membership.

I agree with Granddad. It'd only be prejudice if male and female chests were all the same.

It depends on what is normally hidden and what is eroticised in a culture, AND the context of the exposure, because that affects the message it might be sending.

However, belly dance, West African tribal dance, and South seas dance all began well before today's religions did.

Any evidence for belly dance going back that far? :confused:

Granddad

Hi Sultan, I think you missed an important part of my post:
.............would apply to most societies where the breasts are normally covered.
I was specifically excluding those areas of the world and cultures where exposure of the female breasts is normal and non-erotic. Topless belly dancing would also most likely be non erotic no matter what the gender/sexual orientation of the audience if conducted in a nudist/naturist club.

Sorry, if you are really saying that women should be allowed to dance topless in any place where men are allowed to dance topless without implication of carnality, then you need a reality check. ;) Yes, crowds of women go to see male strippers in clubs in the same way that crowds of men (and mixed audiences) go to see female strippers and burlesque dancers. The carnality of each varies to a greater or lesser extent with the individual performer. However I don’t think those forms of entertainment have yet attained normality in Western or Middle Eastern society… and whether or not they should is a matter for debate..

As for the theory of an unprejudiced society ... I think that's a dream which will only be achieved with the total eradication of the human race. If you take P.C. and equal opportunities too far the churches would have to actively recruit atheists as ministers and the Atheist Society would be required to recruit evangelical Christians to it's board (although I sometimes suspect that some people see prejudice as a one way street).

You are correct when you say that most religions may have given the same answer. However, belly dance, West African tribal dance, and South seas dance all began well before today's religions did. And society's prejudices against these forms of entertainment began when Abrahamic religion expanded its influence.
If you take that statement to it’s logical conclusion then society and the Abrahamic religions should not have a prejudice against human sacrifice either, though I accept that’s taking it to the extreme!

… Its teachers are certainly entitled to their opinion. However, the idea that an art or cultural form is "made wicked" because of the presence of people of a different gender or gender orientation seems a bit prejudiced to me.
This is the nub of the whole discussion, in my humble opinion. Belly dancing is not “made wicked” by the presence of anyone. Belly dance, as it is promoted by the vast majority of users of this forum, is not an erotic dance form. It is only seen that way by people who don’t know what it’s about but think they do. THAT’S where prejudice comes in!
It can be erotic if the dancer chooses to make it so, but then the Cherokee stomp dance could be erotic it the dancer so desired!

Sometimes one has to accept that what is wicked for one person is not wicked for another. In the context of a woman asking advice on an Islamic forum about belly dancing topless (as reported by a third party without reference to the original) I can only conclude that the advice was asked by a woman of Islamic background, possibly (and I’m speculating wildly here) she had been offered a topless gig or was under pressure from a male acquaintance to dance topless. Her conscience wasn’t happy with this and so she asked advice. The advice was given and was correct; in her circumstance it would be wrong to dance topless in front of people who would most likely find such a performance arousing. If she did perform in such a way she would probably have felt guilty anyway because she would be betraying her personal beliefs and presenting a negative role model of her faith. In my opinion and interpretation the person giving the advice was making the point that topless dancing in itself is not wrong but that what makes it wrong is the intent and the circumstances. The Abrahamic faiths believe that it is wrong to arouse sexual desire in another person outside of a stable relationship. It would also be wrong within those faiths for a male to dance in a sexually provocative manner in front of an audience of women or gay men. The important thing to note is that I’m talking about people within those faiths. To do otherwise for them would be hypocrisy.

I don't wish to get into an argument here, :lol: something that is SO easy to do on forums!! :lol: You have your opinion and I have mine which I freely admit is based on the Abrahamic religions and a strong personal faith, but that's not what this forum is about.

I may be wrong (and I’m sure the ladies here will let me know if I am :lol: ) but I think you’ll find that 99.9% of the belly dancers on this forum see belly dance as an art form that is non erotic … (any tart can wiggle her naughty bits and get a man aroused) … these ladies spend years perfecting their art form and many get quite upset when Joe Bloggs on the street says “Oh, you’re a belly dancer?” with a salacious grin and raised eyebrows, or when they perform in a restaurant and some burk with a glass too much Rosé inside him yells “GERR’EM OFF DARLIN’ … SHOW US YER T**S!!

On another thread you said:
Wish I could claim some measure of expertise on Oriental dance but, alas, cannot make such a claim without my nose growing like George Bush's. Woops, make that, like Pinocchio's.
Expertise (or at least a small measure of knowledge) is something that is freely available.
If you haven’t found it already I suggest you read Shira’s excellent article at: Dance of the Seven Veils and a BBC article at: BBC - h2g2 - Arabic Dance (Belly Dance)

There you go, my 3 cents worth. :lol: If I had more time available I could have given you a full dollar's worth ... so count your blessings! :pray::D

Caroline_afifi

[
QUOTE=shiradotnet;96798]and invited him to dance with me. His face lit up with pleasure and he started to do vigorous hip twists. Very vigorous. Very thigh-thwacking vigorous. It was, uh, distracting. In a highly entertaining way. One of my fonder gig memories.

But was the 'thwacking' in time with the music? :think: :lol: