Anyone been to a Jim Boz workshop?

Angie

I'm seriously thinking of going to the vegas intensive that Samira has posted about. I wanted to see if anyone could give me some feedback on Jim Boz's style. I looked him up on youtube and he looks like he may be tribal???? Which I'm not interested in at this time.

Is it just me, or are a lot of workshops heavy on tribal???
Thank you.
Angie

Last edited by a moderator:

gisela

Super Moderator
I couldn't find much on youtube with him but the videos I saw were not tribal. It says on his website that he does Raks Sharki and I can't see anything about tribal (although... I only skimmed it).

Shashi

Jim Boz Workshop

I attended a workshop with Jim Boz in May 2008 in WV. He's an excellent teacher and is good a critiquing large groups of dancers. He does Egyptian Oriental Style, not tribal. He is very approachable and I've even emailed him later with questions to which he has responded. I definitely enjoyed his workshop.

Tezirah

Jim Boz

I did two workshops with Jim Boz in Suffolk in August this year and he was amazing. I have never worked so hard yet laughed so much at the same time and I came away with things that I can really use. I would not hesitate to do more workshops with him if he ever comes within travelling distance of me again.

Samira_dncr

Hey there! I'm glad you are considering coming to Vegas, darling!! I really love producing this event and I'm sure it will RAK your socks off!!

Jim will be teaching Egyptian/Oriental stuff. I haven't nailed down his final topics, but it won't be tribal. That's why Sharon Kihara is teaching..LOL. I do my best to offer a wide range of stuff.

If you like the Egyptian stuff, then you should also make sure to sign up for Leyla Amir's class on Raks Shabbi. She has lived and performed in Egypt and I am certain you will get a lot out of her class.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to answer them.

Sita

GO!!!! Just GO!!!! :)

I did two workshops with Jim Boz in Suffolk in August this year and he was amazing. I have never worked so hard yet laughed so much at the same time and I came away with things that I can really use. I would not hesitate to do more workshops with him if he ever comes within travelling distance of me again.

Which one did you do? I did travelling compositions?
Jim Boz is great, he makes you feel relaxed and confident. He talks you through any major issues without being condesending. Very funny.
He has performed a range of styles - did tribal in a group once in his career i think but teaches Oriental - mentioned a range of styles including lebanese at his workshop.
Seriously it may be one of the best workshops you go to... he covers a lot in short space of time and you enjoy it.:dance: Also he is amazing dancer the youtube videos don't do him justice.
Sita

Tezirah

I did the travelling combos in the morning and the not-so-much travelling combos in the afternoon (can't remember what they were called now). Will never forget about 'ass momentum' though!

Oona

I haven't been to any of his classes myself unfortunately. I missed the one in Wales this year. But, my teacher, absolutely adores Jim. She has only good things to say about his lovely personality and his friendly teaching style. I hear he's challenging and fun all at the same time. Can't go wrong with that!

I know I've seen a couple vids of him on You Tube as well...just do a search. I will never forget his massive snake arms. ;)

Rachel

He is coming to Regina, Saskatchewan in October and I am already on the list for his workshop. From all reports it will be phenomenal. Looking forward to it and will post my perception of it when it is done.

For a little Prairie Province we have had the pleasure of many great dancers/instructors: Mesmera, Denise Enan, Sonia, Nath Keo, Suzy, Loulie Burns and a few more local but still very good instructors.

A good dancer/instructor/performer takes in as many possible views and opportunites as possible, from this it is easy to learn and grow from and also helps to avoid 'tunnel vision'.