Most commonly used music for performance

nigma

Just want to add that ATS is very popular here as is other Tibal fusion like Gothic and even the latest Pirate trend. I have to say ATS style I am less confused by with it use of the more traditional music styles but the others leave me thinking WT?. with the usual non arabic music, industrial, dark and gloomy.
Sometimes it feels like the fusion styles and non arabic music is slowling taking over.

Marya

Just want to add that ATS is very popular here as is other Tibal fusion like Gothic and even the latest Pirate trend. I have to say ATS style I am less confused by with it use of the more traditional music styles but the others leave me thinking WT?. with the usual non arabic music, industrial, dark and gloomy.
Sometimes it feels like the fusion styles and non arabic music is slowling taking over.

Where are you located?

Marya

Marya

Marya I am in Australia.

thanks, I see that you mentioned that in another post which I saw now when I was reviewing the thread.

Are there regional differences in Australia? Here in the US Tribal seems most popular in California where it originated. Egyptian Style (or what passes for it) is popular in the Seattle Area, but not dominate.

Marya

Mya

In Trinidad it appears that fusion pieces are the most common as dancers appear to be trying to appeal to our local audiences more than anything else, so there's some of chutney music being used as well as drum solos and then there's alot of arabic pop - bellydance lite so to speak.

In the last year i've really grown past that music though and i'm now working with more classical music - i'm not so great at it yet though; still trying to find my hips, but getting there slowly but surely and mixing one of these into all of my performances now so that people are starting to get used to it and maybe will like it one day!

Marya

In Trinidad it appears that fusion pieces are the most common as dancers appear to be trying to appeal to our local audiences more than anything else, so there's some of chutney music being used as well as drum solos and then there's alot of arabic pop - bellydance lite so to speak.

Chutney music?

Marya

kayshier

In the last year i've really grown past that music though and i'm now working with more classical music - i'm not so great at it yet though; still trying to find my hips, but getting there slowly but surely and mixing one of these into all of my performances now so that people are starting to get used to it and maybe will like it one day!

i think in addition to what you said mya, there seems to be a trend with tassa drumming and 'belly dance' a lot of groups now advertising that they have a 'belly dancer' with their tassa groups.

i am yet to see one but from what i have heard...welll:lol:

Mya

!!!
Last night i danced for an indian wedding - the chutney session had already started by the time they were ready for me to perform - after i was done, they had their tassa side and they asked me to come back and dance - i was mortified. of course i didn't. Most trinidadians can't really tell the difference between tassa and our drum solos. Sometimes i think it's because they hear vaguely similar drum patterns for Hosay that they just lump it all together, think it's "local" and figure any drum song is a drum song to wuk up to.:confused:

Actually - i just remembered something - when I used to dance with N9 and we did world cup cricket, they asked us to go on behind the tassa side - we did wings - it was a hit but god knows it wasn't belly dancing by a stretch.

Last edited:

Melanie Abraham

Hello

Hello Marya,
I am from Florida, and those are the two artists that were most popular in my area when I started about 18 years ago. I actually started stocking up on the re-mastered versions now, and bringing back some "vintage" choreography. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan now.

Melanie

music used in Czech Republic

Hi girls,

I newcomer from Czech Republic....I´ve been dancing for almost two years. My first instructress prefer "new" music...we cold it "arabic pop". :mad:
My opinion is it´s not music for bellydancing..may be only for some crazy disco at the beach..So I changed the instructress..now I am student of Shereen - the best Czech bellydancer..you can find some videos on youtube.com..She gave me some CD with singer like Warda, Oum Kalthoum..and old orchestral song...I come to love it...there is a energy, feelings..amazing music..

So you can make a picture about bellydancing in Czech Republic..:D

Hayet - orintální tanec, www.hayet.cz

Marya

Hi girls,

I newcomer from Czech Republic....I´ve been dancing for almost two years. My first instructress prefer "new" music...we cold it "arabic pop". :mad:
My opinion is it´s not music for bellydancing..may be only for some crazy disco at the beach..So I changed the instructress..now I am student of Shereen - the best Czech bellydancer..you can find some videos on youtube.com..She gave me some CD with singer like Warda, Oum Kalthoum..and old orchestral song...I come to love it...there is a energy, feelings..amazing music..

So you can make a picture about bellydancing in Czech Republic..:D

Hayet - orintální tanec, www.hayet.cz

Hi Hayet,

Welcome to the forum, I love the classic music too.

Marya

I tend to play shaabi and pop in my Beginner classes as most of my students find this easiest to understand and enjoy, but I always slip in the occasional classical or baladi piece to help broaden their horizons.

From Improver and up they get a wide range of Middle Eastern music and I teach them the different styles and how these can be interpreted.

I agree with Shira that some Middle Eastern music is more accessible than others, depending on what you are used to. I was drawn to the classical music quite early on because my Dad always played a lot of classical Western music and between us we played flute, violin, cello and piano, so there was always that kind of music around. Baladi took a little longer but I love that too now. For me folk was, and is, the hardest to get into. I enjoy the feel of Saidi music but generally the mizmar etc can grate a little!

I really find it hard to belly dance to Western music, to Arabic-influenced music, especially dance music and even to some Arabic pop. The classical and baladi have so many rich layers, ripe for interpreting - the pop and Western music is more of a blank canvas. I find it ok for class/group choreographies but not for solo work.

Jane

In the mountain area of the U.S. anything on the BDSS cds is overplayed. Everyone here snaps them up like crack. I can kind of understand, they are compiled to appeal to the average non-ME music listening person. They are also short like our audience's attention spans. :(

Azrael

I find that the music you use for performances depends on the audience you are performing for. If I were to perform at a bridal shower, I'd use something more modern, and more "pop" orientated. If I were performing at a Hafla where the audience is mainly dancers, then I'd use something a little more classic.

People should keep their minds open to using different types of music for dance, as it is constantly expanding and changing and we can't be stuck on one type of music. Just as some say that not using ME music is closed minded, so is ONLY using ME music.

Its good to have a variety, especially when teaching beginners. What my instructor does, is for the beginner classes, she teaches them combinations and then they put it together to a modern piece of music. And while warming up or cooling down, she plays something that's more ME orientated. So that the dancers aren't completely overwhelmed with a new type of music. Just a slow introduction to it.
Of course, this doesnt mean that she completely excludes ME music to the beginners while dancing, but in the beginning, its quite pop orientated. :)

Hope I haven't rambled too much!!