Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Calling all Experianced Sword Dancers!!!

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if you might know where I can get a good sword for a begginner that is very balanced and doesnt require alot of balancing effort.
    I know that sounds rediculous , But I mean a sword that is equal in weight at both ends and is a little heavier, Im sure a pro sword dancer will know what I mean , I want to learn and need a sword but never been that great at balance so I want good Quality.
    See ya Later!!!!!!!
    Nura!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello - i know what you mean! If you take a look at the pic in my profile, the sword there is a VERY easy sword to work with as compared to others i've used.

I've seen it around on more than one website, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to find. I'll take a gander as well and see if i find it for you.

Downside by the way is that most people think it's a toy until you hand it to them and they're like "uh...this is heavy - wait - you had this on your chin??!?!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    Hello - i know what you mean! If you take a look at the pic in my profile, the sword there is a VERY easy sword to work with as compared to others i've used.

I've seen it around on more than one website, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to find. I'll take a gander as well and see if i find it for you.

Downside by the way is that most people think it's a toy until you hand it to them and they're like "uh...this is heavy - wait - you had this on your chin??!?!"
    hahaha I thought it would be a nice addition to my arsonal. lol . so far fan veil , fans, veils, double veil, tray, candles, cane , and now hopefully i learn fast and well and can do sword , I have always wanted to learn and never had the ummm guts hehehe to put a sword a weighty metal item in toes reach lol.
    Any way ,
    Thanksssssssss Nura.
    oh and i would love the site if u find it!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I was just thinking that it is only a couple of weeks since you were asking about all the above. Don't you think you should slow down and master one thing before taking up everything else??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Yes I was just thinking that it is only a couple of weeks since you were asking about all the above. Don't you think you should slow down and master one thing before taking up everything else??
    Kind of makes sense
    I will say that Raks Al Sayf requires a different mind set and body alignment than your previous endeavors.
    Dance swords are heavy...this can put a strain on the skeleton if one is not properly coordinated and strong
    Some swords are sharp...coupled with the above..safety is the PRIMARY issue in dancing.
    Since most dance swords are balanced to some degree..the next piece is finding the balance point on different parts of your body. So once again your own body alignment and balance is critical!!!
    If you have any cervical compression problems(neck), curved spine, carpal tunnel or issues with your knees..then balancing a heavy object will be unsafe for you and your audience.
    In the meantime, try practicing with a book on your head. First standing still, then walking(rather gliding) and finally turning. Don't rush, focus your concentration on finding your balance point on your head and feel for tension, pain or other weak spots.
    Stay Sayf(play on words)
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Well Im trying to find what fits me best so if after i try everything the ones I like the most and feel strongly attracted to I will dedicate to those. but now I am adding to my arsonal, when Ive done a little of all I will sit down and weight pros and cons and think which is reallllllyyyyyyy ment for me. Its just the way I get down. haha. I try everything and then go from there. I dont just say ok veil and do it , or cane and do it , I try , then choose. But your right for somethings its been 3 weeks for others 3 monthes or more but still recent! Lots of Love , Nura.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Kind of makes sense
    I will say that Raks Al Sayf requires a different mind set and body alignment than your previous endeavors.
    Dance swords are heavy...this can put a strain on the skeleton if one is not properly coordinated and strong
    Some swords are sharp...coupled with the above..safety is the PRIMARY issue in dancing.
    Since most dance swords are balanced to some degree..the next piece is finding the balance point on different parts of your body. So once again your own body alignment and balance is critical!!!
    If you have any cervical compression problems(neck), curved spine, carpal tunnel or issues with your knees..then balancing a heavy object will be unsafe for you and your audience.
    In the meantime, try practicing with a book on your head. First standing still, then walking(rather gliding) and finally turning. Don't rush, focus your concentration on finding your balance point on your head and feel for tension, pain or other weak spots.
    Stay Sayf(play on words)
    Yasmine
    thankk u for ur advice so sweet of u to take time to tell !!!!
    SHukran. Nura

Post Thanks / Like

@@@
    Last edited by sstacy123; 08-15-2012 at 07:14 PM.