Movies with bellydance

Chani

Hi,

I have been trying to find a copy with English subtitles of the movie "Whatever Lola Wants". Has anybody seen this movie? I"m desperate to watch it. I did try watching it in French by my French sucks and I couldn't follow the plot at all so I'm hanging out for subtitles.

I'd be interested to hear of any other movies that feature belly dancing.

Chani

shiradotnet

See if you can find Son of Sinbad - it's made in English, and has a fabulous dance scene by Nejla Ates (Turkish dancer) near the beginning.

A number of Egyptian movies are now available on DVD with English subtitles. Try Arabic DVD , enter.html , and FineArt Film!, Arabic DVD . Look for Shore of Love, My Father is On a Tree, Say Hello, and Inspector General. Amazon has Afrita Hanem and A Glass and a Cigarette.

There's an old French movie called Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves that has Samia Gamal in it with several dance scenes - Amazon used to sell it on VHS with English subtitles, not sure if they still have the VHS.

lizaj

Thanks. Lots to check out. Chani
I have:
Satin Rouge( from Tunisia)
Topkapi Peter Ustinov
Gambit Shirley Maclaine
Valley of the Kings Samia Gamal
The Man with Bogarts Face
2 james Bond films From Russia with Love and The Man with the Golden Gun
Carry on Follow that Camel
Carry on Spying...erm some are more serious than others
Khartoum (would you believe!)
The Four Feathers ( sort of Oulaid Nail)
The Garden of Allah (" " ")
The Crusaders..bet you didn't know they had bedlah in 12th century
Son of Sinbad
Sirroco Humphrey Bogart

karena

Right film night round LizaJ's then! I was going to bring popcorn but I think really stuff for the USA will be better so someone bring that. I'll bring Yorkshire tealoaf :lol:

I think there was a post somewhere about that Whatever Lola wants and an eta for it being released in English. It was a while ago, and there have been more that one thread about it, but this was quite a short one...

(Found it, it's this post http://www.bellydanceforums.net/other-dance-stuff/5017-whatever-lola-wants.html. Bellydeluxe may know)

Last edited:

sultan

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the semidocumentary-movie "Mondo Cane" feature Morocco doing a belly dance scene? I believe it revealed how she cursed in Spanish if things didn't go right for her.

nigma

Before Sunrise starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy has a scene with a belly dancer it.

I can remember seeing an australian mini series on ABC (I think it was The Seven Deadly Sins) and one of the episodes featured a dancer in a restaurant, sorry but thats all I can remember.

Last edited:

Babylonia

There is a movie called Sabah. It has the women belly dancing at home. No costumes but dancing in the kitchen, using a broom for a cane and having fun at a family gathering in the living room (a little hookah smoking too by the matriarch).

Marya

There is a movie called Sabah. It has the women belly dancing at home. No costumes but dancing in the kitchen, using a broom for a cane and having fun at a family gathering in the living room (a little hookah smoking too by the matriarch).

Is this a recent movie?

Marya

shimmygirl

There is a movie made in Japan about a mother taking lessons and her husband forbids it. Give me a second and I'll try to find it. Maybe it's already been posted or someone knows which film I'm speaking of.

Pirika Repun

There is a movie made in Japan about a mother taking lessons and her husband forbids it. Give me a second and I'll try to find it. Maybe it's already been posted or someone knows which film I'm speaking of.

Hummmm. Is that new movie? I know "TANKA" (2006) has belly dance seen, but not mother taking lesson or something... I never seen this movie, but my friend talked about it. :think:

Kashmir

An oldie

I've just been rewatching Nour el Ayoun - a great movie starring Fifi Abdou as the girl whose father is murdered by a rival and plots revenge over decades. About 20 minutes dancing all up (a moving piece in the prison in a internal beledi style, Fifi celebrating in the carpet factory then her emergence as the "best dancer in town"). At one point Amera's Palace sold it with subtitles.

Babylonia

I was looking for info on Kathy Najimy and came across this:
Two Sisters (2008) (TV)

It doesn't give any info on IMDB but Kathy's website says it's a movie,directed by and co-starring Margaret Cho, that takes place in the belly dancing world. I'm going to go look for it and if I can find it I'll post back with a review. :)

Last edited:

kayshier

i saw this trailer on you tube but i cannot remember the name of it.

i would really like to start a collection of belly dance movies to have as part of my library though, but right now i'm most intrigued by "Whatever Lola wants" based on the trailers i've seen.

Last edited:

PriscillaAdum

Bethune Sur Nil. It's a 2005 French film, about a french bellydancer who travels to Egypt to continue her dance training and goes on to become a famous dancer in Cairo. In reviews of the film, it says that the movie was inspired by (or based on) the life of a real dancer named Ketty. I think the version I saw had english sub titles, or else I understand alot more french than I thought, because I understood the movie with no problem. Yeah, must have had subtitles.:D
It's a Cinderella type movie...the actress in the lead role is so obviously not a bellydancer, and there were several inaccuracies that I spotted, but it's entertaining and fun.
Here's a review and clip:

Béthune sur Nil sera sur France 3 le 12 janvier

shiradotnet

Bethune Sur Nil. It's a 2005 French film, about a french bellydancer who travels to Egypt to continue her dance training and goes on to become a famous dancer in Cairo.

I've seen Ketty dance! She was one of the performers at the Ahlan wa Sahlan festival, I think the closing gala, in one of the early years I went there. Maybe 2003? It was the year before the ban on foreign dancers, anyway. What a riot!

Did you see Bethune Sur Nil on DVD or in a theater? I"d love to get this on DVD - any idea where to find it?

PriscillaAdum

That's cool. I had never heard of her until this movie. The only Ketty I'd heard of was the Australian dancer.
I saw this movie on EuroChannel which we have on cable and I'm pretty sure it had subtitles. They still air it every couple of months or so.
I don't think the DVD is out yet, but I'm pretty sure it probably will be soon. I checked Amazon France and they have a list of DVD's that this actress (Louise Monot) has starred in that they carry,, but Bethune Sur Nil wasn't listed among them, I would guess that it's because it's fairly new still. Maybe you could ask at Amazon. Here's the page on Amazon where I found her other DVD's.

Louise Monot

Regards
Priscilla

Mya

Thank you for the info and link

I've seen Sabah quite a few times - it's been showing frequently on cable recently. I really love this movie and how dancing is linked to the character finding her personal freedom and femininity. :D