Question for Male Bellydancers

Hi there! I just recieved an e-mail from a male who was interested in taking my bellydance classes, and said that he had been turned down by all the other teachers he had contacted (and he even offered to take private lessons so he wouldn't make any women uncomfortable). I didn't turn him down and he is going to take bellydance lessons but I have a few questions about teaching bellydance to a male because I have never had a male student. Is posture still the same? Should moves be taught differently for a man's body? Is there anything we should do differently for a male? Feedback is MUCH appreciated. Thank you so much for your time!

Pam

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
The link to my article for teachers on the subject is in the other thread - but I wanted to take this opportunity to THANK you for accepting a male student.

jenny Carolina

Hello Re: Question for Male Bellydancers

Hello friend is of caracas Venezuela and I practice Arab dance for some months I realized that is something very beautiful that have in my soul you that I lack a lot to learn but I will be devoted in body and soul to be able to be a dancer like the one that I have in my dreams.
In the case that you count I can tell you that for a man it is not very easy to learn the dance of the stomach, most of the masculine bodies don't have your student's feminine flexibility everything it depends of if the one wants to learn the dance like a man or like a woman, in my case to the being a female imitator my goal is the one of being able to dance like a woman and my teacher teaches me like to any woman of her classes in her husband's company that is a percussionist, those the receipt dressed as woman (with wigs and fillers in the chest) to get used to the weight and movements in that way to feel natural when she carries out my presentation.
As you will give yourself all the men we should make an effort but for this beautiful art and the same as your student I take private classes since I lack to feel sure front the other students but I believe that I understand it very well I don't want to inconvenience some woman since I have given myself bill that this it seems to be an activity 100 feminine% and mainly in my case that I want "to be a female dancer" some could feel it inconveniences, when it improves in my movements and sit down but feminine to take the classes with the other women.
I hope this opinion of somebody that takes private classes is useful to a teacher that has made the decision of it even accepts male in this beautiful art.

Tarik Sultan

Hi there! I just recieved an e-mail from a male who was interested in taking my bellydance classes, and said that he had been turned down by all the other teachers he had contacted (and he even offered to take private lessons so he wouldn't make any women uncomfortable). I didn't turn him down and he is going to take bellydance lessons but I have a few questions about teaching bellydance to a male because I have never had a male student. Is posture still the same? Should moves be taught differently for a man's body? Is there anything we should do differently for a male? Feedback is MUCH appreciated. Thank you so much for your time!

Pam

He can learn the basic movement vocabulary from you, but he should watch good male dancers as well as ordinary guys from the culture dancing.

Tell him to analyze them, not watch for entertainment. What he should be looking at is the body language of these guys and how they express the movements.

YouTube - Dance and the Egyptian people Dance and the Egyptian people.

YouTube - Dina : Dina and Sa’ad il Sughir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlC8F8P9SPM: Bedouin man dancing

YouTube - sexy dance by Egyptian - Belly dance Patra 2007 "Zaira" : Middle aged guy.

YouTube - Male Oriental/belly Dancer Tarik Sultan in Egypt Part 1 : Tarik in Cairo opening number

YouTube - Egyptian Dance Raks Shisha: by Tarik Sultan (belly dancer)#5 : Tarik’s water pipe dance

YouTube - Egyptian Guys in Cairo Dancing baladi on the Nile : Guy in Egypt dancing on party boat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0FD7Dcwu_Q: Egypt Cane dance

YouTube - Egyptian Dancer in Luxor Egypt by Mahsoub : Mahsoub, Saidi dancer in Luxor

YouTube - Tito Egyptian male Raks Sharki (Oriental Dance/belly Dance) : Tito, Egypt’s best known male Oriental Dancer

Also have him look at the men in my favorites and video collection.
YouTube - 6969aaaaa's Channel

jenny Carolina

A question

Pam

Hello I would like to know like your male student goes in his classes? I liked thank you for the videos a lot and you that for the they will be of utility, also for my :)

shahira

post for Jenny Carolina

Hello Jenny

thanks for your post Jenny. I am a belly dancer and have just found memories dancing and performing as a female belly dancer. I transitioned and changed my sex when i was very young at the young age of 14. Dancing and performing as a femal now is so rewarding and i love it
it doesn't matter what sexy you are you can do it hun

sincerely

shahira

Zadiel

Hey Pam.

the reason why people are coming in my classes is that they wanna learn my style of oriental dance.

so teach him yours. cause he chose you to learn from you "your" dance style. Don't try to be another one.

i don't make differences between boys or girls in my classes.