Hi from swedish Gisela!

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi everybody! Been reading stuff in here for a while before i registered. This is great. I didn't expect to be able to learn more about dance from the internet, but now i think it's brilliant.
I'm 26, from sweden but living in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I've danced oriental dance for three years and now I really want to improve a lot, so I signed up for four(!) classes a week. Is that crazy? I'm a bit worried that i will be confused, but I want to try at least. I came back to town late in summer and all the classes were almost full. I was on different waiting lists and it didn't look as though i would be able to dance at all! Horrible thought! Suddenly there was room for me everywhere. Haha, we'll see if my schoolwork will be suffering.

Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you.
See u in the forum.:)

Moon

Welcome Gisela. Wow, 4 dance classes! I wish there were so many dance classes where I live.

Maria_Aya

Welcome Gisela (great great name !!!! )
Dont worry we are all crazy over here with oriental dance lol
Happy reading and posting

Maria Aya
Greece:)

Safran

Welcome Gisela! 4 classes a week is absolutely normal, I wish I had the mere opportunity to attend 4 classes a week! Enjoy the forum!

Marisha

Hi Gisela! Wow 4 classes a week - that's very good. I can't take classes more than twice a week, it's too expensive for me. :(

Freya

Hey Gisela, welcome to the forum!

I'm Norwegian but living in Stockholm. Do the Danes understand you when you speak Swedish? It's funny, I thought most Swedes would understand my Norwegian just fine but I've had quite a few hilarious moments as well as many empty stares.

Did you know that there is a really great BD community in Stockholm? I was so happy when I discovered my school "Egyptisk Kulturcentrum" (The Egyptian Culture Center) this January. It was the answer to all my BD prayers! There is just such a great atmosphere there and wonderful teachers, and their shop "Kairo Bazar" is brimming with high quality costumes, tons of CD's and DVD's. They also organize the Stockholm Bellydance Festival every spring/early summer with master teachers from Egypt. (I'm working on a long overdue report from that event at the moment that I'll post in the forum.) There is also a big event with master teachers coming up in November. Perhaps you should consider a short trip home since you are so close?!

(Maariku: You are really close too! I can almost see the boat to Estonia from my window here in Stockholm)

Four classes a week makes perfect sense to me, I'm doing three but wanted to do four!

Freya

Check this out:
http://www.kairobazar.com/
http://www.bellydancefestival.se/

gisela

Super Moderator
Hej Freya! Yes, I heard about the dancing in Stockholm and I'm quite envious. I began to dance BD after I moved to Denmark so I haven't tried any teacher from Stockholm, though I would like to very much. The Layali thing in november seems very interesting and I'm thinking of maybe going there, but there´s a money and time problem. I keep checking the website to see if there still are free places in Raqias or Randas workshops.
Actually there is a thing here in Copenhagen in October where I signed up for two workshops with Samasen who is swedish, so then I will get to try, for the first time, to be taught in my own language.http://www.orientaldancefestival.dk/

oh, I learned how to speak danish, but I know exactly what you are talking about with the "hilarious moments as well as many empty stares". Especially with the words that sound the same but mean different things, very often something harmless in one language and completely sexual or provocative in the other. Why is that????
Ha de!

Outi

Hi and welcome!

It's so nice to see more Scandinavian dancers here in this forum (and of course the Estonian ones). I have been here almost 2 years, and when I came I felt really "lonely" :p (If one can feel like that with all the crazy dance people :D )
And now it's even nicer, because I can hear what happening in that part of the world. And please feel free to tell all the gossip.

Outi

Outi

Oh, and don't forget the coming Yalla! Festival in June 2007 in Helsinki, Finland. www.masrah.fi

miss_shimmy

welcome Gisela

warm welcomes to you Gisela

hugs and smiles

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxx:)

Freya

Hello again Gisela!

The festival I was referring too "Cairo by Night' is actually not the same as the Layali festival. I wasn't aware about the other festival but checked it out. It is actually going on at the same time as the Cairo by Night which seemed a bit silly until i remembered that it is "höstlov," fall break from school in Sweden, that week. So it makes sense now--but there is certainly a lot going on here! It would be interesting to take classes with some of the teachers at Layali but I'll have to prioritize time and money.

They have such good teachers at Cairo by Night, and the atmosphere amongst the people there is sure to be great. It's organized by Suzanne and Mohamed Abou Shebika who also organize the Stockholm Bellydance Festival and co-sponsor the Nile Group Festival in Cairo. The upcoming "Cairo by Night" is the mini-version of the big Stockholm Festival. I really had the time of my life at the Stockholm festival so I can't wait for this event! I'll be taking classes with Nour and Khaled Mahmoud...Yeeeesss!!! I'm so excited! http://www.bellydancefestival.se/

I'll check out the link you sent regarding the festival in Denmark--it's good to know what the "neighbours" are up too! let me know what you think about Samasen.

Regarding languages and harmless vs sexual comments: yes, it's hysterical!! You do know what "pula rundt i trädgården" means in Norwegian... Although I can speak Swedish if I have to, I'm on a little misson to teach the Swedes some Norwegian :) I think they SHOULD :) :) learn some Norwegian, after all...the Swedes have bugged us for years and years... (To all you other readers out there: there is an ongoing "family feud" between the Danes, Swedes and Norwegians because of shared history, unions etc. It's friendly, but we love to make fun of each other)

Talk soon!

Freya

Freya

Outi!
In Egypt...you lucky devil! Would love to hear more about your dance adventures in Egypt!

Oh, and I just realized I left Finnland out of the Scandinavian "family feud," but I think that is because most jokes in Norway make fun of the Danes and the Swedes. I didn't mean to exclude you from the party...!

We'll make sure to tell you what's going on over here!

Freya