Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you stay in the groove?

I have been listening to lots of music and practicing a lot, getting ready for some performances.

Sometimes, I feel like I have the secret and I am just floating on the music, perfectly interpreting every passage, loving every minute, excited by the prospect of performing using this music for a performance.

The next time I go to practice (to the same piece of music) I feel like I can't undulate my way out of a paper bag, let alone actually interpret the music decently. The music doesn't sound the same, I don't like it, I stumble, and feel like an elephant in a pink tutu.

I am sure I am not the only one who encounters these difficulties. I am curious what others so to get back in the groove.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

I know that feeling! I find that listening to different pieces of music and dressing up a bit more helps me to feel more connected with the dance.

Post Thanks / Like

When I get stuck (in my case, when I realize that I look like a dork), I dance with someone fun. A friend, a favorite teacher, or (best of all) my 5 year old daughter. We can be silly together until I can enjoy the music again. And, since dancing with her is like running an obstacle course, it is a great way to refocus by thinking about something different (not stomping on her) rather than the music that I am struggling to dance to. Next thing you know, I am working on combinations again, laughing, and enjoying myself.

Regards,

Anala

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post
    When I get stuck (in my case, when I realize that I look like a dork), I dance with someone fun. A friend, a favorite teacher, or (best of all) my 5 year old daughter. We can be silly together until I can enjoy the music again. And, since dancing with her is like running an obstacle course, it is a great way to refocus by thinking about something different (not stomping on her) rather than the music that I am struggling to dance to. Next thing you know, I am working on combinations again, laughing, and enjoying myself.

Regards,

Anala
    that sounds like a good idea, but my cats refuse to cooperate and hide under the sofa.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marya
    The next time I go to practice (to the same piece of music) I feel like I can't undulate my way out of a paper bag, let alone actually interpret the music decently. The music doesn't sound the same, I don't like it, I stumble, and feel like an elephant in a pink tutu.
    Agh, I know what you mean. I was that hippo in the purple skirt, tutu's don't look that good on me...

Last tuesday I went to practise at our studio. I worked on a choreography I haven't performed in a month and really needed work. I started out fine, but after the first minute or so, I just couldn't get the rest worked out smoothly. I was getting frustrated.

What I do when this happens? I pick some music that I absolutely LOVE, not particularly for performance or anything I;m recently working on for shows, but just something I love. I just start improvising. It usually gets me to unwind.

Goofing around to Marwa's Motreb 7ambouli also works. I always remember her silly video for that song in which she acts 'like a bellydancer'. It's awful but it makes me smile.

After that I can usually focus on my dance again.

Post Thanks / Like

if i'm stuck, i put on something fast and upbeat and do a shimmy drill. gets me to loosen up, and kinda makes me stop thinking so much. i'm really new to this (only been dancing about a year) so i find this topic to be quite a help. can't wait to hear more suggestions!