Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you ask your students to wear for Dance class?

hey there,

I usually ask students to wear leggings and a t-shirt and a hip wrap. I don't like them wearing skirts because I can't see their movements very well and can't tell if they are doing them correctly.

I have had some feedback that I should let students wear skirts because they are fun to dance in and some people are reluctant to wear leggings because they don't like they way they look.

I have allowed skirts after the basics are covered and we are working on a simple choreography.

What do others do?

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

One of my teachers wants us to wear yoga pants/legging or whatever during the warm up and basic instruction. Then later when the emphasis is more on actually dancing and expression, she wants us to put on a skirt.

Teachers are all different. I used to have one that could see the position of a student's legs really well even if she was wearing a skirt and for explaining movements she would just lift her own skirts.
    But if you really can't see the movements well when they wear skirts, don't let them wear them during the basics/technique part of your lesson. I think it's a good idea how you do it now, letting them wear skirts after the basics are covered.

As for leggings, I hate them too. They look unflattering on a lot of people. How about letting them wear yoga pants for example? Then you can still see their movements well and it looks a lot more flattering than leggings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    One of my teachers wants us to wear yoga pants/legging or whatever during the warm up and basic instruction. Then later when the emphasis is more on actually dancing and expression, she wants us to put on a skirt.

Teachers are all different. I used to have one that could see the position of a student's legs really well even if she was wearing a skirt and for explaining movements she would just lift her own skirts.
    But if you really can't see the movements well when they wear skirts, don't let them wear them during the basics/technique part of your lesson. I think it's a good idea how you do it now, letting them wear skirts after the basics are covered.

As for leggings, I hate them too. They look unflattering on a lot of people. How about letting them wear yoga pants for example? Then you can still see their movements well and it looks a lot more flattering than leggings.
    Actually few students do show up in leggings and do wear yoga pants instead. I don't mind that. I don't have the greatest figure in the world either, but for some reason I personally prefer to wear leggings rather than yoga pants.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

I used to wear skirts as a beginner but now I prefer pants so I can see what my legs are doing. I now have a million practice skirts to get rid of!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default what to wear....

I am more fussy about what they were as a top-

I prefer them with short tops , but if they insist on wearing a longer top I always suggest a tight top or leotard. Regarding what they wear especially as a top its good to suggest but not impose , as some people are really put off by the idea of wearing a short top, later on they do realize that a big belly is fine for Belly Dance .

As bottom I think it depends on what the lesson is about and what style. For example The students them selves realize that for Turkish Belly Dancing the leggings or Jazz Pants are the most adequate . Harem pants are good for most of the lessons - nice and loose, comfortable and the student does not feel that concious about their shape.

Haha sometimes I even tell them to take down their hair - after a day at university (with my hair in a bun or pony tail )I dont have the nicest hair in the world but I do it aswell !

Post Thanks / Like

Beginners & intermediates are asked to wear form-fitting clothes with stretch...yoga pants, fitted 'tees', a hip wrap, belt or coin scarf and dance shoes or bare feet at their own risk.
    Skirts are for more advanced students...a teacher cannot properly check and correct incorrect or dangerous movements if the students legs are covered.
    I also forbid jeans and street shoes in class...
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Yoga pants, a tight style top, & their choice of dance shoes. Hip wraps are optional. I have them orient on the top of their pants or shirt bottom if they don't have a hip wrap. A knotted piece of elastic works great as a cheap chest or hip alignment belt too.

No harem pants, skirts, jeans, or street shoes.

I think even for intermediates it's too easy to fall into bad habits when the legs are hidden.

Post Thanks / Like

I stipulate no jeans, sweatshirts or hide-it-all tee shirts, and prefer my students wear something that allows me to see their legs and torsos. If they turn up in skirts, I have them tuck the skirts into their hip scarves. I also do not allow students to wear socks or shoes, which seems to upset some people more than the idea of showing their tummies, but the possibility of someone slipping and falling in socks is too great, and shoes are too confining unless the student has a problem with her feet. I had one woman dance in boots for a year because of a foot injury.

I really love that sooner or later even the students who initially show up in tee shirts hanging to their knees become comfortable enough with themselves and their sister students to tuck up their shirts under their bras. Tummy exposure equals personal empowerment!

Post Thanks / Like

Kashmir asks students to turn up in pants/leggings/trackpants and t-shirt, or leotard or other close-fitting top. The main thing is NOT to wear noisy coinbelts! They are sooo hard to hear over even though they look pretty.
    To accommodate those who really like pretty hip belts, those large paillets or beaded scarves are fine - but noisy=headache and for some of us it means we couldn't last a whole class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marya View Post
    I don't like them wearing skirts because I can't see their movements very well and can't tell if they are doing them correctly.

I have had some feedback that I should let students wear skirts because they are fun to dance in and some people are reluctant to wear leggings because they don't like they way they look.
    I tend to encourage either yoga pants, unitards, leotard/tights (which no one ever wears but I list it as an option anyway), or leggings. But if someone really *wants* to wear a skirt, I don't object. I figure that for some women, part of the fun of belly dancing is playing dress-up. I can usually tell by the angle of the hips whether their weight is properly placed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast